75902 - The Mystery Machine

TheOrcKing

Picked up 6 in store yesterday at Target, and ordered 3 for home delivery (w/ redcard + GC).  Just got those three cancelled.  Did I just get the Target ban hammer? ;)

Well, point of sales systems can keep track of all your purchases, especially using a red card, or ordering online where address/name/cc is attached.  And if multiple orders of the same thing is pulled up, it could in theory, trigger a flag.  Doesn't matter how many target stores you try to use, they all tie into the same system.

I could see those trying to reserve the stores entire stock getting their orders cancelled, especially since this is a popular item.  It looks like Amazon had this at a limit of 1 from the getgo, and so I think this is going to be an increasing way of retailers to ward off resellers, and instead make sure the kiddies get them too.  I'd somewaht expect limits to occur during the beginning of Episode 7 frenzy too.

Yeah, I don't think I've been banned.  Probably just this particular item... target.com sold it out quickly on Sunday, so here we are Monday morning, time to fill those orders, and they made the call:  "anyone who ordered more than 2 gets cancelled" ... or ... "anyone who already picked up in store." ... or... "any order that used redcard and two giftcards"... :)

So... there could be a few showing up again at target.com.

Yeah, I don't think I've been banned.  Probably just this particular item... target.com sold it out quickly on Sunday, so here we are Monday morning, time to fill those orders, and they made the call:  "anyone who ordered more than 2 gets cancelled" ... or ... "anyone who already picked up in store." ... or... "any order that used redcard and two giftcards"... :)

So... there could be a few showing up again at target.com.

Well just from a quick read through this thread, it seems that a lot that tried to reserve quite a few at target got their orders cancelled.  I think the only way to successfully land them is in store. 

But, looks like Lego has a new update, with a new ship date of the 17th, so I suspect these will be back in no time.  Plus,  I believe the advertisement lego put out said "available in september", not August, so I suspect the biggest run will be during that time period, and they'll be easy to get.  Although, if it's like Jurassic World, there will be about a month and a half window before they begin to deplete.  It's really tough to say how this is going to pan out.  Looking at the list of themed sets coming down the pipe, we have angry birds, captain america, batman vs superman, force awakens, and new star wars for the winter wave over the next six months.
  It's going to be a rotating door for a while.

i had 12 instore target orders whittled down to 10.

i had 6 online orders of 3 from target that have all shipped.

another 6 orders of 3 from walmart have shipped to nearby store in tax-free nh.

just picked up another 3 from a nearby walmart that offered instore pick up early this morning.

another walmart cancelled the order.  another has 3 more waiting for me.  so does kmart.

it is interesting that so far each and every walmart and target has only had 3-4 per store or will allow only ordering 3 for in store pick ups.  none of the walmarts or targets had these out on the shelves.

obviously i think this set will do well both in the near and long term.  the shortages are only partly attributable to the Horde.

its impossible to know how many of these TLG produced but of the 24  I have received, there are only 2 seal codes: 20R5 and 24R5.

the  2 - 24R5's were purchased at lego store last week.

the remaining 22 sets I have in my possession purchased from tru, target and walmart were 20R5.  

this is very interesting to me that there might have been only one week production run supplying the major lego retailers here in US.

anyone seeing other codes?

obviously i'm bullish on this set.  this set (to me) is just such an obvious winner for several reasons including a low price point - that box typically gets $35-40, large age-demographic of appeal with potential of multigenerational synergy, and 2 "selling seasons" coming up - halloween and xmas.

if the QFLL crowd gets lucky with (another) underproduction run, yippee.

Edited by cladner

sorry maybe an obvious question where are the seal codes ?

numbers and letter across the seals on the boxes indicated the weeks and year of production.  20week factory R year "5". 

the code is corroborated by the production dates stamped on the outside of the lego carton the sets come in.

I was incorrect about having 24R5 - it was actually a 27R5.  

picked up 3 from online order from a walmart just north of Satan's kingdom that I frequently haunt in hinsdale nh where I finally spied 1 on the shelf so that confirms my suspicion that the stores only let you by x-1 of what their perceived stock (x) is.  

26 20R5s from all the walmarts, TRUs and targets in my neck of the woods (MA) and then 2 27R5s from Lego store at westfarms mall in west hartford.  

scoob.jpg

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

6650614311_e669edb6ae_b.jpgSo I finally built the Mystery Machine.  My son built about 75% of it and I put in the stickers. I just saw it was a fun build for him.  After everything was done, I was sorta disappointed with the size of both items.  

We aren't get much "mass" for $30.  Now we are getting some neat elements and many colored Medium Azure.  It's an uncommon color.  For example, only 12 sets were ever produced in the 2x3 plate and 27 sets for the 2x4 plate (mostly Friends).  I wonder how much color played a role in the $30 price tag?

the Cobi one looks like garbage

Fixed that for you.

I wonder how much color played a role in the $30 price tag?

I understand certain hues are more difficult to make correctly or take a bit more effort/resources in the creation process therefore I am fairly certain what colors are used do or can contribute to the final pricing decided upon by the company. I still would not know how much the actual percentage for such stats is though.

20R5 on the one I have that I found at Target today.  I found it interesting that the Target I went to had the Scooby Doo, Pirates, Lego Movie, and some clearance Hobbit sets 3 rows away from the main section of Legos and difficult to find.  The Lego section has grown beyond the actual Lego section.

I checked out ebay and I'm curious--How are people who are getting $45-50 with free shipping making any worthwhile money quick-flipping this set?

20R5 on the one I have that I found at Target today.  I found it interesting that the Target I went to had the Scooby Doo, Pirates, Lego Movie, and some clearance Hobbit sets 3 rows away from the main section of Legos and difficult to find.  The Lego section has grown beyond the actual Lego section.

I checked out ebay and I'm curious--How are people who are getting $45-50 with free shipping making any worthwhile money quick-flipping this set?

Lowest price on Amazon is $57.50 but not a great deal of money to be made flipping these right now.

• Like 2

Lowest price on Amazon is $57.50 but not a great deal of money to be made flipping these right now.

Thanks, I agree.  Seems like ebay listings are slower to keep up with Amazon, plus the added Amazon fees keep prices higher.  I see a decent number of Mystery Machines going for $45-50 w/free shipping on ebay, which I guess gives one some profit if you get some top-rated discounts.

Hmmm... who still drives around today for LEGO sets! I thought now they come to you!

:D

Wasn't the case for Raptor Escape, and probably won't be the case for the Mystery Machine too.  If you blink when they are in stock, you lose.  But, on the same token, I can "check online" to see what stores they are in, and there's a few :)