Taking out USD from Paypal (Canada)

seapotato

Awesome. I'm gonna try to open up my account tonight!

I was away last week so didn't get around to checking on the transfer. Every last US cent I transferred from PayPal showed up in my RBC account! Sweet .. too bad the dollar is so crappy right now (traveling to the US next week for work) but maybe it'll turn around. Wish I had discovered this about 2 months ago when I transferred a much larger sum of US dollars to my CDN account. Ah well.. live and learn.

• Like 1

• gregpj pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
On 8/20/2015 at 4:29 PM, gregpj said:

So my second try worked. I was able to confirm the account and I just transferred over some US funds without it telling me about the conversion rate. I will verify in a day or two that the amount transferred was not adjusted in any way!

What I did:

1. I already had a USD RBC U.S. High Interest eSavings
  2. Added a new paypal account as per the above instructions.
    • I used TRANSIT-ACCTNUMBER and not TRANSIT-BRANCH-ACCTNUMBER
  3. Waited for the small deposits to appear.
  4. Confirmed.
  5. Transferred US cash from PayPal to my bank account.

Now I wait.... I feel kind of dumb for not finding or thinking of this earlier. I lost out on hundreds of dollars over the years I bet. Oh well, lesson learned and we move on!

Opened up a TD US account tonight. Added a new bank account and filled it out as required. When I clicked submit, I received a message that I could not add a new bank account at this time.  A pop up appeared that said that when I withdraw Paypal funds in Canada, they have to be converted to Canadian funds. Any idea what went wrong? Also, did you not have to but in the branch #? I thought you would need this for the money to make it into the right branch. However this would also identify it as a Canadian account.

More About Adding a Bank Account

When you withdraw funds from your PayPal account to your bank account in Canada, the funds will be converted to Canadian Dollars. When you add funds to your PayPal account from your bank account in Canada or use your bank account in Canada to fund a transfer, the amount will be in Canadian Dollars.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nami said:

More About Adding a Bank Account

When you withdraw funds from your PayPal account to your bank account in Canada, the funds will be converted to Canadian Dollars.

This is great info, but it always been that way as far as I can remember the last 8 years or so. I might be wrong but board members here wanted to keep the US money in their paypal account to be  transfered in a Canadian bank account in USD, no exchange..  :)

1 hour ago, nami said:

Opened up a TD US account tonight. Added a new bank account and filled it out as required. When I clicked submit, I received a message that I could not add a new bank account at this time.  A pop up appeared that said that when I withdraw Paypal funds in Canada, they have to be converted to Canadian funds. Any idea what went wrong? Also, did you not have to but in the branch #? I thought you would need this for the money to make it into the right branch. However this would also identify it as a Canadian account.

The only account that works for taking out USD from PayPal to a Canadian bank account in USD is the USD RBC U.S. High Interest eSaving. Other accounts don't seem to work even if they are denominated in USD for some reason.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ymok2 said:

The only account that works for taking out USD from PayPal to a Canadian bank account in USD is the USD RBC U.S. High Interest eSaving. Other accounts don't seem to work even if they are denominated in USD for some reason.

I'm no banking expert, but I believe TD Bank does it's banking a little differently...I do believe you want to have both a Canadian US dollar account and a US-based account (cross-border) and then you'd setup PayPal to use the cross-border account and you transfer your money to the Canadian account through your TD online banking. I can't tell you any more than that (and that's just what I learned from my own googling before).

RBC operates more as a single entity whereas TD operates as TD Bank in the US and TD Canada Trust in Canada so it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work as seemlessly.

58 minutes ago, gregpj said:

But which one? They have several options for Canadians.

To remove US$ funds and keep US$ funds you need a US$ account which paypal deems to be originating from the US.  So you need an account created in the US with TD and then use TD cross border to move from there into your TD Canada Trust US$ account.

56 minutes ago, lego rules said:

To remove US$ funds and keep US$ funds you need a US$ account which paypal deems to be originating from the US.  So you need an account created in the US with TD and then use TD cross border to move from there into your TD Canada Trust US$ account.

Is it possible to create this account originating in the US from the comfort of my home?

Edited by nami
mistake

• 10 months later...
Just now, redghostx said:

Actually, transferring to a RBC US Dollar account.  I am finally setting this up but I can't make it work.

Have you done this?  copied from website.

When filling out your bank details, make sure you change the dropdown from Canada to United States.  Bank name is “Royal Bank of Canada“.

Account type should be Savings (not Checking as seen in the screenshot)

MOST IMPORTANT STEP – Use the following routing number:  026004093.  This is the routing number for the RBC US branch.

For the account number, enter in the combination of the 5 digit transit number + bank number + your account number (for example, 06032 003 123456 with no spaces in between) [thanks Vi].  Alternatively if this doesn’t work  just use the transit and account number 06032 123456

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lego rules said:

Have you done this?  copied from website.

When filling out your bank details, make sure you change the dropdown from Canada to United States.  Bank name is “Royal Bank of Canada“.

Account type should be Savings (not Checking as seen in the screenshot)

MOST IMPORTANT STEP – Use the following routing number:  026004093.  This is the routing number for the RBC US branch.

For the account number, enter in the combination of the 5 digit transit number + bank number + your account number (for example, 06032 003 123456 with no spaces in between) [thanks Vi].  Alternatively if this doesn’t work  just use the transit and account number 06032 123456

I forgot to change from Canada to US in the drop down menu.

To quote Roberto De Vicenzo: "What a stupid I am"

Thanks for your help, give yourself a like.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, seapotato said:

I want to buy some stuff on ebay but ship it to a US address...but Paypal isn't letting me change country. I googled and it looks like it's not allowed? Does anyone know if there is a way around it?

Talk with the seller, make him send it to the adress you will provide him, instead of letting paypal shipping service ,, Seller used to be able to change the shipping ady in paypal..  ..

You would need to use either a service like : http://www.borderlinx.com/CA/en

But $$$$

or another way is to have specific warehouse along the border that accept to receive and holding your stuff until you go to pick it up !.. I usually  use : http://www.freeportforwarding.com/

But this is right next to me in Quebec .. fees to hold:  .. ( be advised you'll need to either have your invoice or create one as you'll re-enter Canada and are subject to customs fees, sometimes..)

Packages under 2 lbs.: $3.00
Packages 2 lbs. to 69 lbs.: $5.00
Packages 70 lbs. to 200 lbs.: $7.00
Packages over 200 lbs. or pallets: $10.00
Tires(each):

Edited by gravtation
  • Like 1

Oh I use the warehouse stuff too - I'm asking about the address in Paypal. Like we have our verified address in Paypal (Canadian home address) that is linked with our ebay account. So I want to buy an item on ebay and pay with paypal - but the seller will see my verified Canadian address and will be protected only if they ship to that address. I'm wondering if there is a way to add the US address into my Paypal account so that is "verified" too and I can select to ship either the Canadian OR the US address?

1 minute ago, seapotato said:

Oh I use the warehouse stuff too - I'm asking about the address in Paypal. Like we have our verified address in Paypal (Canadian home address) that is linked with our ebay account. So I want to buy an item on ebay and pay with paypal - but the seller will see my verified Canadian address and will be protected only if they ship to that address. I'm wondering if there is a way to add the US address into my Paypal account so that is "verified" too and I can select to ship either the Canadian OR the US address?

Can say my US ady was verified .. but I know I had it saved in my paypal once ... when I was purchasing alot in the US.. and every time it was needed I only had to turn that on .. but was it verified ? ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seapotato said:

Oh weird. From what I see online, that was an option several years ago (like back in 2010) but not anymore. I might have to suck it up and pay the import fees. :(

Don't do that. You can change the address or just add a business address. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong there. Create the address, then when you pay up, you select that second address. If you're buying from ebay, it should be easier. Create that additional address in your account settings.