Scooby Doo, Where are you? - general discussion

TheOrcKing

I agree that it was probably a small initial launch.  I can't believe the shortage is being caused by collectors and parents, tho.  How many regular mom's and dad's even know this set exists? It has to be reseller driven.  Maybe not just BP'ers, but this retail arbitrage thing grows everyday.  I'm sure some bigger players - Galorco's, Chinese exporters, and the like - they see everything in this set that many of us see:  A well-known, globally-loved theme, the MMachine being a keystone part of the collection, a small, box, the right price, and a shortage.  It all ads up to the perfect Halloween / Xmas flip, so they are grabbing all they can.

it started with JW and now Scooby ... that will be the trend ... underproduce ... the faster a set/series gets sold out the faster TLG can shove new sets in our faces ...

I think there are just too many vans like the Mystery Machine still in Hawaii.   You're tainted and it just doesn't appeal to you.

I agree that it was probably a small initial launch.  I can't believe the shortage is being caused by collectors and parents, tho.  How many regular mom's and dad's even know this set exists? It has to be reseller driven.  Maybe not just BP'ers, but this retail arbitrage thing grows everyday.  I'm sure some bigger players - Galorco's, Chinese exporters, and the like - they see everything in this set that many of us see:  A well-known, globally-loved theme, the MMachine being a keystone part of the collection, a small, box, the right price, and a shortage.  It all ads up to the perfect Halloween / Xmas flip, so they are grabbing all they can.

i do believe hat the shortage has been driven by resellers and big time players the like ... not too many average Joe parents/kids know this set launched ... i went to the LEGO store yesterday and yes it was packed, i did see Scooby stuff but there seems to be interest in all lines especially Ninjago ...

TLG will not make another Scooby series after this so I do agree in grabbing a few sets now but i believe we can get better deals on them down the road ... 

I don't recall there being that much hype here predicting sellouts of the Scooby line. I was stunned when I saw that MM was out of stock early Saturday morning on Lego and Amazon. That can't just be BPer's. I think Lego underestimated the demand and they were probably a little conservative with their production with it being a new there and no track record.

I went to Lego store on Wednesday and they had these out early and there were lots of adults and kids checking them out and this was the set that everyone wanted.

I posted earlier in the week under a different thread (what lego employee told me...) that the store manager told me that they received very few of the Scooby sets that wouldn't last til the weekend which I thought was weird that they would put them out before August 1.  Time will tell how much of that proves to be true but part of the fun of the investing process is placing your chips and watching the wheel spin and seeing what grabs the public's fancy.  

Edited by cladner

its the QFLL bug ... its a disease!

I tend to agree with you.  I have managed to land 3 of the 5 sets, and we could have bought out quite a few MM yesterday, but I resisted the QFLL disease.  My son built the mystery machine this morning, and he was a happy little boy when it was done.  I also have seen two of my nephews have already built this set from it being shown on their Facebook feeds.  So, kids want this line.  Lego is hitting critical mass with kids too.

Granted, it's hard not to fall into the "wearre going to get rich quick" mantra, but there's a point where you have to step back and realize, who the real audience is here.  And artificially manipulating the market by creating scarcity is not exactly honorable.  I don't think these are done by any means.  But, I do have a feeling lego might be moving towards more limited quantities in quick bursts of limited stock, and then they will rinse and repeat for a few more months, until they move on to the next line.  So, this could be a rotating round of products over the next few years… add in there is a growing audience and it could get interesting.  Which means, get your collection early, if you want them, otherwise it's going to be a game of serious hunting, and the days of having serious discounts is probably over on many of the popular sets.  

it started with JW and now Scooby ... that will be the trend ... underproduce ... the faster a set/series gets sold out the faster TLG can shove new sets in our faces ...

It started earlier than that.  I think it also occurred with Lone Ranger, Battle of the Five Armies, and Pirates of the Caribean.  It's just now they might be underestimating demand a bit, so that they won't have to clearance a lot of stock.  It might be a better strategy, because instead of a bunch of lines sitting on a shelf, they can just create new lines of products with movie and tv tie-ins every 4 months, and keep that rotating, and people will eat it up, if the lines and series are good.

Looks like a race to the bottom on Amazon. Price has dropped $10 in couple hours. Will wait now till these guys sell out. Big bang is now OOS on Amazon.  Number one selling lego. There could be a shortage of these with the numbers that had been sold already. 

I think there are just too many vans like the Mystery Machine still in Hawaii.   You're tainted and it just doesn't appeal to you.

haha, actually only seen one Mystery Machine here and it wasnt bad at all ..

on a serious note, its just the set, its too small, too many stickers, couldve been dont better ... for me its a pass ... but hey, you ask my reselller side and its an all go!  but im more of a long term hold so ill get my share, just not in a hurry to do so ...

• Like 1

its the QFLL bug ... its a disease!

No... it are the symptoms of the disease:

" Greed and Competition are not the result of immutable human temperament... greed and fear of scarcity are in fact being created and amplified... the direct consequence is that we have to fight with each other in order to survive. " - Bernard Lietaer

you can get the Gang in the other sets and no one likes swamp guy or the lighthouse keeper?

yeah I feel like the "bad guys" of this set are the weakest - but the rest of the set looks great and the torso print on Shaggy is awesome.  I am just waiting for the price to drop, 50 is too expensive for this set IMO...

I went to a couple Targets today that - per target.com - have stock, but wouldn't allow me to order online for pickup.  The first store, I looked up and down the aisles twice.  Their whole toy section was a mess, especially the Lego section.  Their entire Friends / Elves section was being reset - all the Lego were piled into carts sitting in the aisles, the shelves were empty. Anyway, couldn't find any help there, so I went to the service desk, showed him my phone, and asked if I could get these out of stock. He said his computer shows 4 in stock. He made a couple phone calls, tried to get me some help, then his manager came out and said, that it shows "not in warehouse", meaning it is out on the floor somewhere.  So I went back to the toy area. This time I found some help there. I asked her if she'd seen them, and she said no, but also said "not in warehouse" doesn't necessarily mean it is out on the floor.  It means it has been received at the dock, but has not yet been assigned a location in the stock room.  She said they are resetting the entire toy department. There is a "mountain" of toys in back that need to be sorted, etc.  It is probably "in that pile" and will be out on the floor maybe Thursday or Friday. So anyway... if your having trouble finding these at your target... maybe this is what's going on.

On the other hand... the other store I went to had 3 MMachines right there on the shelf <zoinks> they have since disappeared, but it is no mystery where they went.

Heart warming note... waiting in line at the store, there was a mother and her 7 year old son in line in front of me. He was holding tight to a new Lego Minecraft Nether Fortress. I heard them talking about him paying with his own money, and sure enough, he went through the line first and rang it up separately.  The total was $85.79 with tax. He handed over a badly folded and wrinkled $100 bill and got his change. I was wishing we were at toysrus and I could've given him a coupon or something, but there was nothing I could do at Target.  Still, you could see how excited he was.  Then his mom bought her groceries, and paid with her redcard... (yes... I'm thinking exactly what you're thinking right now).

Edited by Kenxxx

My area Targets were resetting their Lego aisles today, but a couple of nice team members went back and found the MMs on the pallet and brought them out for me. I think all the stores in my area should be done by tomorrow with setup, so there should be some stock on the shelves. Unfortunately, none of the stores around me got any Mansions. But, I'll settle for a few more MMs!