Scooby Doo, Where are you? - general discussion

TheOrcKing

How is Scooby Doo supposed to perform better investment-wise while another iconic comic franchise - TMNT - bombed pretty much just recently?

For one Scooby has been around since 69 vs 84 for tmnt. I think both were cool abd I grew up with both. Scooby has more appeal I think with the older group as so many watched it growing up. It also has Halloween appeal which is a large grossing holiday for retailers.

While I can see where you are comparing the two being franchises geared towards kids turned Lego, I think the tenure and Halloween feel of Scooby and gang will out perform tmnt by far.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 4

How is Scooby Doo supposed to perform better investment-wise while another iconic comic franchise - TMNT - bombed pretty much just recently?

Other than being animated cartoons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Scooby-Doo have nothing in common. At least with Scooby, LEGO completely went full-on retro to capture the classic appeal very well whereas TMNT was based on the Nickelodeon followed by the Michael Bay film versions instead of the original. As for TMNT bombing, is the theme even retired yet?
  • Like 3

Other than being animated cartoons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Scooby-Doo have nothing in common. At least with Scooby, LEGO completely went full-on retro to capture the classic appeal very well whereas TMNT was based on the Nickelodeon followed by the Michael Bay film versions instead of the original. As for TMNT bombing, is the theme even retired yet?

Well it's not retired yet, but concluding from the negligible amount of interest for the TMNT theme going on around here, the theme also might never have even existed at all... I mean, has anyone seen an actual turtles set in real life or ordered one and got it delivered? Could well be the whole thing is a myth.

Took me long enough to realize the correct character but the zombie in the Mystery Machine set is the witch's zombie from the episode "Which Witch is Which?". Come to think of it now, the witch from the alleged Monsters Minifigures series is a bit similar too but then again that is going for the more traditional Halloween witch anyhow. Seeing LEGO going completely classic is a good thing on every level.

Toy-Fair-2015-LEGO-Scooby-018.jpg

bp_1424665639__witch_zombie.jpg

The vampire in the Mystery Mansion is Dracula (of course) from the episode "A Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts".

Toy-Fair-2015-LEGO-Scooby-012.jpg

bp_1424665667__dracula.jpg

For the Haunted Lighthouse, it's a mix of old and new. The ghost in the set is the Lighthouse Keeper which originated from the "Lighthouse Keeper Scooby" episode on the Richie Rich, Scooby-Doo Show but the minifigure's design is based on the more current version of What's New Scooby Doo? in "Frighthouse of a Lighthouse". The Swamp Monster seems to just be one of those characters added in for good measure as the closest monster I can find is the Lake Monster from the Scooby-Doo TV movie "Curse of the Lake Monster" which still was more of a frog...thingy. At least the minifigure is cool while I can't say the same about the film source.

Toy-Fair-2015-LEGO-Scooby-017.jpg

bp_1424666442__lighthouse_keeper.jpg

• Like 8

My son is somewhat excited for this theme. Even the wife likes Scooby Doo so I purchased the 1st two seasons of the Scooby Doo where are you? on iTunes. The 1969 show has aged well. Still far superior than the 2012 version on Netflix. Now we all dance to the opening song (well,mthe 2 year old kinda jumps and moves side to side).

I do like how Lego paid homage to the original show (see orc's post above).

Even if it's 1 year and done, it should have a cult following like the Toy Story sets. Doesn't mean I'll be buying any other than for my kids though.

What I like most about this theme (besides of the mistery machine and the Mystery Mansion) is the fact that it might potentially increase the value of my Haunted Houses as they just go brilliantly together with the scooby doo theme!

Sets from diff themes (even from the same theme) seem to rarely influence existing / retired sets.

E.g. Ewok sets and the Battle of Endor didn't move much other than typical annual appreciation after the Ewok Village was released.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for these.  I do not put sets together, but I buy some sets, make my mom and nephew put them together and then I display them during the appropriate season.  I can't wait to add these to my Halloween display.  (Halloween display = All the Monster Fighter sets + Ghostbusters set)

(Still upset I missed out on the holiday train)

anyone know piece count yet on these? I'm not a big investor in the smaller sets, but for this lineup it might make sense to sell "complete wave X" bunches. For myself I might get one or more lighthouses to go with my pirates collection.

​Apparently each comes with an XXX rated amount of pieces.

Toy-Fair-2015-LEGO-Scooby-001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So which set are people here going to buy for themselves first? Or will you just get them all in one go? Haha.

​It's going to be tough.  I'm probably going to want them all immediately.  The Mystery Machine may have to be a day one purchase.

Ideally, I'll wait until they go on sale, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...