Scooby Doo, Where are you? - general discussion

TheOrcKing

Hopefully some of these sets will be available while the TRU 25% coupons are still good. Eventhough i wont hesitate at full msrp. Looking forward to seeing these sets in person.

they look great in person, nice box art.   Been about 3 weeks since I got them and haven't seen any restocks yet but Mystery Machine and possibly Mansion could be good xmas flips

So, all the Scooby Doo sets have been pulled?  I couldn't quite figure out if that's what you were saying.  lol

I know that I still can't find any of the sets on their site right now.

Yes

they were on tru.com for about 2 days with the new aug 1st sets. They were pulled sometime Thursday into friday

toysrus ebay store had all of the sets listed except MM as well. I don't know if those are still listed 

Just bought and built the Mystery Machine and Mystery Plane... I love these sets! I also bought the lighthouse which will be built later this week. I can't believe these aren't flying off the shelf. It seems they are just sitting there. Maybe people don't know they are released.

• Like 1

Just bought and built the Mystery Machine and Mystery Plane... I love these sets! I also bought the lighthouse which will be built later this week. I can't believe these aren't flying off the shelf. It seems they are just sitting there. Maybe people don't know they are released.

IIRC, street date is August 1st...

IIRC, street date is August 1st...

Target told me there is no set street date for these. It is up to the individual store. Although, he did say that they have a shelf date at Target of August 2nd.

At least in Phoenix... they are sitting on the shelf. 

DCPI codes… for those that prefer the lazy and efficient route of lego hunting.

204-00-1508 - Mummy Museum Mystery 75900

204-00-1509 - Scooby Doo Mystery Plane Adventures 75901

204-00-1510 - Scooby Doo Mystery Machine 75902

204-00-1511 - Scooby Doo Haunted Lighthouse 75903

204-00-1512 - Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion 75904

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 6

Does anyone have any speculation as to what is going to drive these sets? I have 3 young sons and I can't imagine any of them being too interested in these just because they don't get nearly the same exposure to these characters as Star Wars, Ninjago, or even Chima. I *think* there was/is a somewhat modernized version of the cartoon but I can't imagine that reached too many kids. Is the ghosts/monsters appeal enough to drive sales on this?

Curious as to what some of you more seasoned sellers think about the theme in general.

Does anyone have any speculation as to what is going to drive these sets? I have 3 young sons and I can't imagine any of them being too interested in these just because they don't get nearly the same exposure to these characters as Star Wars, Ninjago, or even Chima. I *think* there was/is a somewhat modernized version of the cartoon but I can't imagine that reached too many kids. Is the ghosts/monsters appeal enough to drive sales on this?

Curious as to what some of you more seasoned sellers think about the theme in general.

My sons are really into Scooby Doo (not like Star Wars, but more so than the other themes you listed).  They still do movies and such and still incorporate current pop culture icons (if you remember, in the old cartoon they teamed up with Sonny and Cher, the Globetrotters, The Three Stooges, etc...)  Now it Kiss (what?!) WWE wrestlers and a few others. 

In the end though, what will really drive the value of this is the AFOL's.  My sons, who love Scooby Doo, won't be spending any money on these sets in the next 20 years (unless they buy some for retail with Birthday/Christmas money).

• Like 1

My TRU put these out last weekend and they all disappeared rather quickly. Today they had been restocked and while I was there a ~6 year old girl yelled "Scooby Doo!" and her younger brother picked  the Mummy set. Just based on this, I would guess that there is a healthy demand among regular TRU shoppers as well.

• Like 1

These showed up at my local walmart, but they are already picked over.  The only thing I found was a Mummy Museum, which had 5. There was 1 haunted lighthouse left that was already beat to heck and back so I left it and will wait until I find a nicer box, and 0 of the others.  I would have at least picked up two of the mystery machines if it wasn't for those meddling kids!   Ohh well tomorrow is another day.  My little boy just built the mummy set, and it's a pretty cool and quirky set.  Scooby Doo is a bit smaller than I thought he would be, but overall I like the look and cartoonish characterization of shaggy and the mummy.  These sets are gonna be winners in all forms, I tell ya'. 

• Like 1

We now have a full set and building begins tomorrow.  I asked the kiddo to clear the table and he kept bugging me to get started before he went to bed.  Boxes are still sealed, but he already has an order picked out and is insisting on building the Mystery Machine and Mansion in tandem tomorrow evening.  I guess he forgot the carnival is this weekend, so I'm sure we'll take a break for that and yard work.

• Like 4

If someone had told me two years ago that Ninja Turtles and Scooby Doo would be released in the next two years, and that Turtles had a big movie and a new Nickelodeon cartoon released during that time, I would have given odds that Ninja Turtles would be far more popular.  That said, it sure looks like ol' Scoob is getting more love.  Perhaps it's recency bias working against me, but I would be willing to wager that Scooby will have a bigger launch than either of the Turtles lines.

• Like 1

I've got to say that I love these sets. The designers gave these much love. I mean compare these to the Jurassic World sets where the entire wave just might have been designed during a 15 minute potty break. I think Lego realized that Scooby would have wide appeal to both kids and AFOLs and the designs show. Love the van, lighthouse and mansion most of all.

I've got to say that I love these sets. The designers gave these much love. I mean compare these to the Jurassic World sets where the entire wave just might have been designed during a 15 minute potty break. I think Lego realized that Scooby would have wide appeal to both kids and AFOLs and the designs show. Love the van, lighthouse and mansion most of all.

Without a doubt. After watching some of the reviews, I realized how many Scooby details they packed into the sets. My boys and I have the first three seasons of the original show memorized. For doubters, just know Scooby has been around now for generations. It might not be the most popular cartoon, but it's there. You can't help but think Scooby-Doo when you see that green and blue from the Mystery Machine. 

Scooby Doo has been around since 1969. 46 years is ample time to gain a huge fan base.  Another nice thing about this theme is that some fans of the original shows are grandparents and parents.  Thus some kids will get introduced to this cartoon by more than just 2 generations of folks.  TMNT wasn't like that.  

also TMNT toys were and are everywhere unlike Scooby Doo (yeah, I'm aware of a some current smaller produced toys).   Looking back at Lego TMNT, TLG had some stiff completion at retail even against  non-Lego TMNT toys. On top of that, I don't think the set designs were all that great (especially the initial van). 

Scooby Doo has been around since 1969. 46 years is ample time to gain a huge fan base.  Another nice thing about this theme is that some fans of the original shows are grandparents and parents.  Thus some kids will get introduced to this cartoon by more than just 2 generations of folks.  TMNT wasn't like that.

also TMNT toys were and are everywhere unlike Scooby Doo (yeah, I'm aware of a some current smaller produced toys).   Looking back at Lego TMNT, TLG had some stiff completion at retail even against  non-Lego TMNT toys. On top of that, I don't think the set designs were all that great (especially the initial van). 

I hear you, but it's not like TMNT was introduced yesterday - it's been around for at least 30 years.  That's not 'flash in the pan' material.

And perhaps there are more TMNT toys for a reason? 

I would bet nearly all people faced with picking which franchise would sell more Lego would probably have picked the Turtles.  Either way, just an interesting thought...