How to Identify a Counterfeit LEGO Minifigure and Brick

1 hour ago, Migration said:

First glance those don't look fake, they just look like very old bricks. With the exception of the one without "Lego" on the studs of course.

Yea, I am not sure of the reasoning for this recent post. Older bricks have many variations (including the circled LEGO logo).

Here is an example of a common older piece (I just found it & snapped a photo).

100_6223.JPG

Sorry, the reason I'm bring up this older post is because I've been trying to figure them out lately and I've been getting more and more of them.  Sorry to bring up an older topic, but I figured we all would like to get them out of circulation.  I'm building a larger project and unfortunately, they're popping out a lot.

thanks for your patience...

AFAIK, even the ones without LEGO on the studs can still be lego, as long as there is Pat Pend. somewhere on the underside of the brick. Haven't got the time to leaf through my copy of Gary Isztok's book to give a precise answer, but if you're curious his book (actually DVD) is a great reference.

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a number of Lego Bread, the Tan bread - I noticed, do not seem to have the lego branding of them on some. This verifies my suspicion all along - I had opened up Polybags for Lego 40056 and thought that the Tan Bread did not have lego branding as well. So this is one tip. My supplier in Germany tells me that they had been in business for 18 years and this Tan Bread they sent me does not have the Lego branding but is authentic.

• 2 months later...

This is a real problem on sights like eBay too. As a rule I never buy (minifigures particularly) from sellers who upload poor quality photos. A second issue is the number of sellers who even if they state that the item is counterfeit, they used the LEGO name in the title of their listing. Always read the title really carefully, the number of times I come across a fantastic deal only to realise the title says "like LEGO" or "fits LEGO"

On December 30, 2016 at 1:15 AM, lucalego said:

This is a real problem on sights like eBay too. As a rule I never buy (minifigures particularly) from sellers who upload poor quality photos. A second issue is the number of sellers who even if they state that the item is counterfeit, they used the LEGO name in the title of their listing. Always read the title really carefully, the number of times I come across a fantastic deal only to realise the title says "like LEGO" or "fits LEGO"

Just out of principle, I list my parted out figures with the big word "authentic" in the listing title. Out of curiosity, does that disclaimer help you choose which listings to look at more closely? I do it mostly to cover my own butt, but there might be a small marketing ploy there!

3 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Just out of principle, I list my parted out figures with the big word "authentic" in the listing title. Out of curiosity, does that disclaimer help you choose which listings to look at more closely? I do it mostly to cover my own butt, but there might be a small marketing ploy there!

It helps the buyer if you have the original box / set and take a picture with it, but stating explicitly and clearly that you are only selling the minifig.

13 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

It helps the buyer if you have the original box / set and take a picture with it, but stating explicitly and clearly that you are only selling the minifig.

Interesting. I typically steer way way clear of that type of thing, since it could be argued by an ebay fruitcake that it's SNAD if the pictures include the box and set.... even if it's stated all over the listing that it's the minifig only. Horror stories maybe, but I've definitely read them on here... 

Just now, Zelgazra said:

Interesting. I typically steer way way clear of that type of thing, since it could be argued by an ebay fruitcake that it's SNAD if the pictures include the box and set.... even if it's stated all over the listing that it's the minifig only. Horror stories maybe, but I've definitely read them on here... 

I've sold minifigures in the past successfully using this method and never had an issue.

I always make the main listing picture of the minifigure by itself. Then take afew pictures of front / back / with accesories / all parts taken apart.

Then final picture will be with the original set / box.

In the description I give description of set / minifig then below that I write in huge red writing listing is for minifig only. I also state that in the title. 

I've also found that if you mainly sell minifigures, it helps if you have some sort of identification mark / piece of paper with ebay username / some other identification mark. The reason for this is that the buyer will know these are your pictures and you haven't stolen them from elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

I've sold minifigures in the past successfully using this method and never had an issue.

Another differing approach then ;) 

If the minifigure has been assembled for a photo, I consider that it's now in used (once) condition. I take a pic of the "brand new! never assembled!" parts in the ziplock and include it, but typically list the figure with a stock photo from the net as the main photo. 

1 minute ago, Zelgazra said:

Another differing approach then ;) 

If the minifigure has been assembled for a photo, I consider that it's now in used (once) condition. I take a pic of the "brand new! never assembled!" parts in the ziplock and include it, but typically list the figure with a stock photo from the net as the main photo. 

I was mainly referring to used minifigs. Any assembled minifig is not new in my books aswell. 

Hi, in response, yes! But the pictures must be of great quality too. If I can't ascertain whether a minifigure is in good condition or LOOK authentic then I won't buy it or bid.
If I'm being really picky, I prefer the term 'genuine'

3 minutes ago, lucalego said:

Hi, in response, yes! But the pictures must be of great quality too. If I can't ascertain whether a minifigure is in good condition or LOOK authentic then I won't buy it or bid.
If I'm being really picky, I prefer the term 'genuine' emoji23.pngemoji6.png

Pro tip. Genuine saves 2 characters in the listing title! ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lucalego said:

Just out of interest, would you pay more for an unbuilt - therefore new - minifigure compared to a built but well kept minifigure that has only been put on display?

As long as the minifigure is in good condition with no marks / cuts / loss of colour or markings etc I would buy it in assembled used condition. I personally would never spend over £20 for a single minifigure as I've never really been into them.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:15 AM, lucalego said:

Report those guys!  There's a report link in the item description of every listing, on the right side of the page.  If a counterfeit seller uses the word "Lego" in the title, you can report him for Listing practices > Search and browse manipulation > Misuse of brand name.

More generally, there's no need to worry about this stuff as a buyer.  If a seller ships you a counterfeit minifigure, you can file a claim under eBay's money back guarantee program.  In the case of counterfeits, eBay will not even require you to return the item to the seller.  You'll get a full refund of your payment and the seller will get a serious demerit.  The right thing to do at that point is of course to burn the counterfeit minifigure for heat.  These Winter nights are cold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GhostDad said:

Report those guys!  There's a report link in the item description of every listing, on the right side of the page.  If a counterfeit seller uses the word "Lego" in the title, you can report him for Listing practices > Search and browse manipulation > Misuse of brand name.

More generally, there's no need to worry about this stuff as a buyer.  If a seller ships you a counterfeit minifigure, you can file a claim under eBay's money back guarantee program.  In the case of counterfeits, eBay will not even require you to return the item to the seller.  You'll get a full refund of your payment and the seller will get a serious demerit.  The right thing to do at that point is of course to burn the counterfeit minifigure for heat.  These Winter nights are cold.

In the past when you claimed an item was counterfeit / fake, if you opened a case on paypal they sometimes asked the seller to produce a letter from manufacturer stating item is genuine, is this still the case?

5 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

In the past when you claimed an item was counterfeit / fake, if you opened a case on paypal they sometimes asked the seller to produce a letter from manufacturer stating item is genuine, is this still the case?

No idea what happens with these things on the seller's end.  That sounds like a tall order even for legit sellers.

Anyway, literally 100% of Legoish listings on eBay by Chinese sellers are counterfeits.  Run your minifigure searches as US and/or Europe only, with the clauses lego, -custom and -compatible, and you'll dodge 99% of counterfeit results.

Edited by GhostDad

3 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

No idea what happens with these things on the seller's end.  That sounds like a tall order even for legit sellers.

I once opened an eBay case (before the whole money back program) when seller sold me some fake Louis vuitton shoes, I lost the case as paypal asked me (the buyer) to prove item was fake. I couldn't be bothered with hassle as it would of meant taking the shoes to an official LV shop and getting them to verify it on a printed letterhead. It wasn't a huge amount of money so I just took the loss. The Ebay seller ended up getting banned as multiple people complained about him. 

This was before I knew about credit card chargeback aswell. 

• 6 months later...

Someone told me that any head with a 'vent' or hole is a fake, but i have been watching a lot of videos on this , and some so called experts seem to think this was the type that was made between (?) and 2009 . Someone else suggested it was a safety feature . Are they all fake ? i have an awful lot of them so would be very upset if it is the case 

1 hour ago, Hoop4la said:

Someone told me that any head with a 'vent' or hole is a fake, but i have been watching a lot of videos on this , and some so called experts seem to think this was the type that was made between (?) and 2009 . Someone else suggested it was a safety feature . Are they all fake ? i have an awful lot of them so would be very upset if it is the case 

The answers you seek are right here..

http://lego.gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego

• Like 1