10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

As somewhat of a curious outside observer I'm very interested in seeing what happens when fire brigade is finally retired. I find this entire secondary market fascinating, to the point I'm seriously considering ordering a set right now to "get some skin in the game" as the saying goes. I figure at 119.99 and free shipping from Amazon that's about as low as the set has gone, and at 20% below MSRP that's a pretty good deal for a large complicated Lego set. My gut tells me that despite being manufactured for years and over 5000 being owned by members of this site, the overwhelming majority of these sets were still sold to children and have subsequently been opened and assembled, rather than collected and hoarded by investors waiting to unleash them on the secondary market. Of course, anyone can spout an opinion. Especially on the internet. Thus, I consider "putting my money where my mouth is". ;)

I feel that sets will mature a bit slower, but if you are still smart about it, and get a little creative. There is still a profit to be made from any of the modulars after it retires. As long as the market isn't flooded with resellers (in which case I will sit on my sets because I can always use pieces), then I believe it just takes a little patience, and then you can make a great sale and hopefully a nice little profit.

I'd be careful with this set unless you are willing to hold for awhile. It's been on Amazon for a while at 119 with maybe it going out of stock for a short amount of time. But, again, it is back at that price point. There are a TON of people speculating this will shoot through the roof so I suspect many hundreds of people holding onto at least a few of these. If you look at the rank on Amazon, it is quite high and that tells me that they are selling a ton of them everyday. This market for this set appears to be so loaded that when it actually goes EOL, you will see quite a bit of people dumping at a crazy rate just to break even or lose a few dollars. After EOL, I truly believe that the market will be over flooded with this set and you probably will not see a decent profit until a year or two later when everyone finishes dumping at a small loss/gain. While this is a great price, Amazon has had it at $119 for way too long and that already scares me. Good luck!

I have accumulated a few of these over the past few months with anticipation that this set will finally go EOL. I contacted Lego, and while you usually get spotty information from them, if you try enough, you can get someone with some information. I had some luck finding out that DA and IS were going at the end of 2012 and it turned out that they were correct. I just found out that the FB is no longer in production, so whatever stock they have left is the last of it. This could obviously mean that they have thousands and thousands sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but it sounds like it is finally nearing the end. Same apparently goes for GE and TB.

I have accumulated a few of these over the past few months with anticipation that this set will finally go EOL. I contacted Lego, and while you usually get spotty information from them, if you try enough, you can get someone with some information. I had some luck finding out that DA and IS were going at the end of 2012 and it turned out that they were correct. I just found out that the FB is no longer in production, so whatever stock they have left is the last of it. This could obviously mean that they have thousands and thousands sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but it sounds like it is finally nearing the end. Same apparently goes for GE and TB.

Until I see the "retiring soon" tag on Lego's website I'm not getting my hopes up but what you state could definitely be possible. In my opinion I don't think this set will be around much longer. Then again I have been wrong before.

I'm just hoping amazon keeps it at 119.99 till my tax return comes I got enough gift cards to bring it down to 93.00 I need one for my collection. I was thinking about picking up another to invest in but as people are saying there mite be so many waiting to be sold once its sold out. I need to be a little bit more conservative with my money trying to find so,etching that's gonna be good to sell. I'm thinking another haunted house people are gonna want this for years to come its an amazing set if it goes eol people will still be wanting this I expect great return out of that set. If not I'll keep it and make a bigger haunted house.

Target and Lego shop still have them in stock at RPP. Also as someone mentioned earlier before they went out of stock the "More on the Way" tag was on them over at Amazon. Will be interesting to see "how many" more they get and if they again drop to the $120 price.

Target and Lego shop still have them in stock at RPP. Also as someone mentioned earlier before they went out of stock the "More on the Way" tag was on them over at Amazon.

Will be interesting to see "how many" more they get and if they again drop to the $120 price.

Where do you see the "more is on the way" tag, or even know how many they have left?

Where do you see the "more is on the way" tag, or even know how many they have left?

That tag is added when Amazon still has the item in stock but quantities are low and they think they are getting more.

If they have a large amount of a set, you can add 1 to your cart, then edit the cart and change the quantity to 999. Amazon will show the remaining quantity they have.

Just today, FB is up to $179 with limit 3 on target.com but still available on LEGO LEGO Shop at Home for $149 with no limit. Is it normal for Target to go above retail?

Target usually has its prices on par with Amazon, LEGO Shop at Home, and Walmart. Not sure why it is $30 more online. If you shop in-store, they will give you a price check so you can get the price at about $149. Sometimes Target doesn't have the more expensive sets in-store though. :-(

I guess my question was more directed toward it being a higher than retail at target.com. I don't recall them ever having prices higher than LEGO LEGO Shop at Home for any item unless it was on sale at LEGO. As far as the pricematch, it's an "online only" item so it would not qualify, unfortunately. Hope this isn't a trend.

I guess my question was more directed toward it being a higher than retail at target.com. I don't recall them ever having prices higher than LEGO LEGO Shop at Home for any item unless it was on sale at LEGO. As far as the pricematch, it's an "online only" item so it would not qualify, unfortunately. Hope this isn't a trend.

Amazon used to run the Target web-site until that deal supposedly ended in 2011. However, I see the same prices on Target that I do on Amazon, so I am not sure they are truly separated at this point...

http://www.amazonstrategies.com/2009/08/amazon-and-target-announce-2011-separation-breaking-up-is-hard-to-do.html