21118 - The Mine

Trains 'n boats

... This is the biggest of the release I think, how do people feel about this? ...

Certainly at $50, I'd be a buyer too!  It's at Kmart right now for $84.99.  I have a "spend $30, get $30 in points" offer there - theoretically making it $70... it makes me think but, not buying.  I still wonder about the long term interest in this theme.  These could be at Toys R Us for the next few years.  I've asked it before: Is Minecraft the new "Angry Birds"? ... everybody loves it one year, but then forgotten?  Hey kids! A bunch of new LEGO Minecraft sets have come out this year! Hello? Anybody?

....Anecdotal, my 7-year old (and I) used to play Minecraft Pocket Edition on our Kindle Fire. It completely consumed his every thought for about six months.  But now, there are plenty of copy-cats coming out like Junk Jack X and Terraria.  These are 2D games, but he doesn't care... he likes the wider variety of tools, weapons, ores, mobs, etc.  Even I have gotten bored with Minecraft where basically you build your house, dig your mine, and fight the same bad guys over and over again... and that's about it.

21118 The Mine is fun for anyone who loves Lego and Minecraft, but will it one day be as desired as say, Jabba's Palace (similar price point)?  I don't know.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

also sold out in the last day at us shop at home so time to load up if you believe the largest minecraft set to date might gain in value in the future.  i'll be prowling target for clearance on this one - its the one minecraft set the 3 targets i haunt still have in abundance.

Edited by cladner

I really am on the fence with this one. Minecraft will not be popular forever and the lack of unique parts or minifigs count against it. However, Minecraft fans could be completist junkies and it is still the flagship set. The short shelf life and lack of discounts also give it potential.

• 2 months later...

The part out value is insane with the set, its around $130 to $150. Granted it will take you time to get rid of it but still, if you buy 10 of these and the set sucks in the market. You can sell part out the sets. Its a safe double your money garantee at $45.

Edited by Armor

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Atlan88 said:

Just bought two for 70 Euro each. Pretty good deal considering that it sells for 150 already. What do you guys think, will it reach 200 by the end of the year? If yes, I'll keep them and wait.

Folks around here will rarely answer that question for you.  Better to say, "I just bought two Mines at 70 Euro each, and sold them for 150... feeling pretty good about myself!"  Then 4 or 5 people will respond about what a 'dope' you are, and that they are holding theirs because they are certain to go over 200 within the year ;)

People are weird :) However, I can concur:

Hey guys,

I wanted to congratulate everyone as dope as me - although no one bests my skills in brickvesting - who also got the mine for a considerable amount below the retail price. To my illustrious brethren: do you believe that the Price will rise even further?

I don´t know how easy it is to sell for 150 or more, now. At Xmas it was easy and I got rid of mine back then. The risk with some of these kiddies licenses is that by the time TLG has made the deal and launched the products, interest is already waning.

I just had a nice chat with a small business owner about lego in general and the popularity of certain themes. He stated that both Star Wars and Minecraft are highly sought after and therefore, rarely receive any discounts. So maybe the interest isn't waning as fast as assumed. However, right now it isn't that hard to sell for 150. Hours after my offer went online, I had a prospective customer. However, I decided to increase my price to 200. Maybe I'll sell it during Christmas season - I don't care if I'll have to wait some more since I have the required space.