30 days return for TRS Plus starting May 1, 2016

dcdfan

New 30-day return policy requirement for Top Rated Plus listings

Starting May 1, 2016, to earn the Top Rated Plus discount and benefits, listings must offer a minimum 30-day return policy with money back*. We understand this means some sellers will have to change their selling practices but it's an important step in making sure Top Rated Plus listings provide service that today's buyers expect—and that we reward those sellers who deliver it.

New 30-day return policy.jpg

New 30-day return policy requirement for Top Rated Plus listings

Starting May 1, 2016, to earn the Top Rated Plus discount and benefits, listings must offer a minimum 30-day return policy with money back*. We understand this means some sellers will have to change their selling practices but it's an important step in making sure Top Rated Plus listings provide service that today's buyers expect—and that we reward those sellers who deliver it.

New 30-day return policy.jpg

That's a joke, most actual retailers don't offer 30 days...

Could be a nightmare for the QF'rs? Things being returned when it becomes available again, cheaper.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure by offering returns at all, you should already qualify for this new 30-day stipulation.  Am I missing something?

It's not a matter of being able to offer a 30-day return, it's that 30 days is the new minimum.  Until this goes in effect, the minimum is 14 days.  I don't mind 14 days.  I believe it's a bit ridiculous myself, but I offer it as a means to be a top rated seller.  But 30 days?  I don't think so.  Honestly, shouldn't a buyer know within 30 seconds of opening a box if it needs to be returned?  If I do this new 30 day return policy, I will have some strict rules listed in my ads, so that only a shipping company mistake will be returnable.  I'm thinking along the lines of, "Returns will  only be allowed for items not matching description or damaged product.  If shipping box is damaged, please take pictures of box before opening."  

• Like 2

I really don't see the big deal. If you accept Paypal as payment you take 180 day returns. 30 days is standard for online retailers. You can still state no returns and give up the TRS discount, but in the end ebay and paypal policy trump your no return policy so you may as well sign up for the 30 days and get some discount. Glad they are finally taking a look at shipping time, and not postage printing time. 50% of my ebay purchases the sellers print postage and then wait one week to ship. 

• Like 4

I really don't see the big deal. If you accept Paypal as payment you take 180 day returns. 30 days is standard for online retailers. You can still state no returns and give up the TRS discount, but in the end ebay and paypal policy trump your no return policy so you may as well sign up for the 30 days and get some discount. Glad they are finally taking a look at shipping time, and not postage printing time. 50% of my ebay purchases the sellers print postage and then wait one week to ship. 

This is pretty much what I was thinking.  The real return window is far longer than 30 days anyway using PayPal.

Yeah, I like how eBay sent out this message saying they were making "positive changes to selling on eBay" and are "empowering sellers."  While I do like that they are changing the defect rate calculation to not include cases where you resolved the problem with the buyer this 30 day return policy is unneeded.  It again puts more power in the hands of the buyers and opens up a larger window for sellers to lose money on bogus returns.  

I am also a bit concerned about the "on-time shipping" metric they will be using.  I ship my items within the specified time frame 99% of the time, but the USPS can sometimes be unreliable in providing scans for packages the day I drop them off.  I have had packages sit at the main hub for 24 hours or more before they actually get scanned and I wonder if this will get me dinged with this new metric they are using.

I am also a bit concerned about the "on-time shipping" metric they will be using.  I ship my items within the specified time frame 99% of the time, but the USPS can sometimes be unreliable in providing scans for packages the day I drop them off.  I have had packages sit at the main hub for 24 hours or more before they actually get scanned and I wonder if this will get me dinged with this new metric they are using.

If you get your packages picked up ask your postal worker to scan them in at pickup. When dropping off ask them to scan them in at the counter. Dropping off in big blue? Yeah it is really hit or miss so I never use it. Never had an issue with acceptance scans again.

Glad they are finally taking a look at shipping time, and not postage printing time. 50% of my ebay purchases the sellers print postage and then wait one week to ship. 

The problem with that is I can never get USPS to scan my packages on receipt. They usually don't get scanned until a day or 2 later when it gets to a less incompetent hub. Now all my packages are going to be "late". Yay

Waiting in line every day at the post office is not an option, and my mail carrier just doesn't care so he won't scan them when he picks them up at my house. He literally told me "no, I won't scan them, sorry".

So since I will no longer be able to get top rated rates as my packages are going to be late 100% of the time, that makes the 30 return decision easy for me. I just won't offer returns at all and I will pay higher fees from now on.

Edited by MarxMarvelous

If you get your packages picked up ask your postal worker to scan them in at pickup. When dropping off ask them to scan them in at the counter. Dropping off in big blue? Yeah it is really hit or miss so I never use it. Never had an issue with acceptance scans again.

try dropping off 30 packages during peak season and get them scanned. i had one post office completely refuse that on more than one occasion and of course every clerk there "is the manager". another post office would not accept packages that were .02 OZ over the declared weight. yet another would only allow the superintendent to scan them in with a separate scan fob. usps is ridiculous....

try dropping off 30 packages during peak season and get them scanned. i had one post office completely refuse that on more than one occasion and of course every clerk there "is the manager". another post office would not accept packages that were .02 OZ over the declared weight. yet another would only allow the superintendent to scan them in with a separate scan fob. usps is ridiculous....

This is the one nice thing about living in a small town.  USPS clerks know you by name and will go to great lengths to help you.

Lol after May 1, 2016 my eBay store is going to have better return policy than Best Buy's 15 days standard return.  Ridiculous.  Time to give up the 20% off fees discount?

You must get lots of returns.