75102 - Poe's X-Wing Fighter

jaisonline

It seems there might be an issue with the design of this set.

http://brickset.com/article/16630

What's wrong with the X-Wing?

Posted by Huw

21359078901_057df6d592_n.jpg

A couple of days ago it seems that 75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter was withdrawn from sale at shop.LEGO.com on both sides of the Atlantic, and I believe it is being recalled from brand, and possibly other, stores too.

On Hoth Bricks and elsewhere it has been reported that the cause is the canopy, which some people have found does not close properly.

I have just built the copy that the LEGO CEE team sent me to review, but as you can see from the image, I don't have this problem: the canopy fits perfectly and is perhaps the highlight of the set, so maybe the issue is limited to certain batches.

Have you built it? Have you noticed any problems?

What is going on at Lego atm?  Wall-e and now this (albeit a rumor on a dodgy part)????

Is it that the real reason profits are up because they have the interns working in the factories who haven't got the memo that its its time to retire PS & DS... ohh and watch out for the quality control issues.

Lego are know for the quality and durability of there product (one of the many reasons why companies like mega bloks dont pose too much of a treat) but surely they have to be getting a bit worried that repeated quality control issues like these are damaging there product.  Off topic I know  (sorry).

Back to the item at hand.  When it first came out i have to say i was unimpressed.  Now its had time to sink in....getting bumped right up my Christmas list (which I honestly wont start until October).

I guess I need to lookup the part number.

need to check if they are the same size.   might not be according to brickset.  bricklink still doesnt have the parts list.  however. it might be the one from the 10226 Sopwith Camel set... looks like they come in 3 sizes at least (4x4 which is Poe's size).

one from the x-wing sets...

Rubber Belt Small (Round Cross Section) - Approx. 2 x 2

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=x71&idColor=1#T=C&C=1

brickset link.

http://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-70904

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems there might be an issue with the design of this set.

http://brickset.com/article/16630

What's wrong with the X-Wing?

Posted by Huw, 12 Sep 2015 08:00

21359078901_057df6d592_n.jpg

A couple of days ago it seems that 75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter was withdrawn from sale at shop.LEGO.com on both sides of the Atlantic, and I believe it is being recalled from brand, and possibly other, stores too.

On Hoth Bricks and elsewhere it has been reported that the cause is the canopy, which some people have found does not close properly.

I have just built the copy that the LEGO CEE team sent me to review, but as you can see from the image, I don't have this problem: the canopy fits perfectly and is perhaps the highlight of the set, so maybe the issue is limited to certain batches.

Have you built it? Have you noticed any problems?

Sounds like Lego needs to stop sourcing parts from Chinese counterfeiters.

That said, my local Target has the set on display and it looks good.  The problem (investment wise) is it doesn't look like an X-wing.  It will sink or swim on how awesome Poe turns out to be as a character.  If it were Chewie's X-wing, I'd be all over it in 1.5 years.

• Like 1

Sounds like Lego needs to stop sourcing parts from Chinese counterfeiters.

That said, my local Target has the set on display and it looks good.  The problem (investment wise) is it doesn't look like an X-wing.  It will sink or swim on how awesome Poe turns out to be as a character.  If it were Chewie's X-wing, I'd be all over it in 1.5 years.

Not everything is related to counterfeiting. We have threads for counterfeiting.  

Please keep the thread on-topic.

The problem (investment wise) is it doesn't look like an X-wing.  It will sink or swim on how awesome Poe turns out to be as a character.

To me it looks like an X-Wing... especially with the wings brought into X-position ;-)

Well Poe is the next Biggs Darklighter! So what could possibly go wrong?!

biggs darklighter.jpg

I thought I'd memorized the OT, and the name's familiar, but I couldn't tell you anything about that guy...

Poe's ship does looks sort of like an X-wing, but the color scheme throws everything off.  There are some other quirks too, like the wings look shorter relative to old-school X-wings.  All in all, it looks like an X-wing got heavily into body modification and adopted the gang colors of, well, the orange and black gang.  I'm sure they're big somewhere.  Maybe prison?

did you call lego for a replacement?   it would be interesting to see a pic comparison of both (good and bad) cockpit canopies. . 

Finished Bag 3 of 5 and I got the misfit canopy, purchased at TRU on Force Friday 28R5. The rear landing gear is a joke and I haven't gotten to the rubber bands yet. 

Yes I did it is in warehouse now status.  Will post pics once it arrives.

Interesting.  I didn't realize they were doing a replacement on that.  I bought mine later than Force Friday.  I really need to get it out and build it before Dec 18.  I'll have to see if later editions have the same issue.

• Like 1

Several times in the past few days something has bothered me, but I never took the time to compare, but after watching the trailer I feel that this build is just inaccurate enough to warrant an update sooner than most. It seems like the actual movie X-Wing has a much shorter nose that is more wedge shaped with the canopy. This build has the look of a recolored 9493 with different wings. The TFA X-Wings appear to be truly snubnosed.

Got mine at a local Walmart and built it. No problems. This Walmart was the only one that had not pulled their stock in the area. All others had pulled their X-wings within hours of the post here on BP.

Local Target stores still had them on the shelves as well. Guess not all retailers got the memo to pull Poe's X-wing.