75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

I recently picked up this set after admiring it for a long time.  I wanted to make sure I did not miss out.  I've been building the set with the kids and we are having a lot of fun.  Awesome set, and now I am tempted to get a second one . . .

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm now glad I've held on to my 21108 Ecto 1s hoping that the HQ retirement will boost resale prices as it has lagged a bit.

if only that were enough.  massive stock remains.  hasn't even hit 2x MSRP on amazon fba 2 years post EOL.  another dud.   nearly as many sellers as WoN this far out lol.  hoarded at the height of the bricks is gold hoopla.

ghostbusters nostalgia while real has limited depth which combined with excessive hoarding is why stock and seller count remains so high for a set that has been retired this long.  

29 minutes ago, cladner said:

if only that were enough.  massive stock remains.  hasn't even hit 2x MSRP on amazon fba 2 years post EOL.  another dud.   nearly as many sellers as WoN this far out lol.  hoarded at the height of the bricks is gold hoopla.

ghostbusters nostalgia while real has limited depth which combined with excessive hoarding is why stock and seller count remains so high for a set that has been retired this long.  

Still a cool set that I thought would never be made. It's the little things...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Still a cool set that I thought would never be made.

Well it wasn't made by LEGO - Some poor schmo created it, was invited down to LEGO so they could "appreciate" his creation, then stole the design, gave him no credit, and then took all the money.

At least they happily sent him a free set to serve as a constant reminder of how badly he got screwed.

This for me was the day that LEGO died.

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
42 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

You own so many Ecto 1s!??? :O

Enough for the antiTabby brigade to hate me even more ?

However since I paid an average of £27 each for mine, it's a resounding success. 

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, waddamon said:

Well darn no stores where I live.  I didn't bite on the Wal-Mart price, also banned from Lego, so good luck to all.  I see this as a long term profitable hold.

What about paying cash at a LEGO store or get somebody to buy for you? If you were in the UK, I'd gladly pass on one of my spare IDs. I did that when I was being very greedy with Mars Rovers. I drove around most stores in the UK and kept buying 5 at a time for cash every few days until I had.... a lot! If it's that important to you, don't worry about VIP points or promos.

Guest TabbyBoy

Regarding GBHQ, I've not looked twice at one. It's simply too much of a risk, supposedly heavily hoarded, most people have bought cheaper, it's far too big to store/ship and the QFLLs are prepared to sell at a lower price than most bought it for. Also.... it's butt ugly! I may as well be honest ? 

Guest TabbyBoy

You may all be wondering if I get out of the wrong side of my basket every day. Here's an example of my current thoughts...

I've been using the 76042 Helicarrier to see how another large (and desirable) set can be raved about, hoarded and yet drag its feet when being resold. It's often being sold for under RRP (£ 279.99) which will represent quite a loss after fees/postage if bought and sold in the UK.

image.png.730972826ba0491f3ee04199de6f350b.png

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Regarding GBHQ, I've not looked twice at one. It's simply too much of a risk, supposedly heavily hoarded, most people have bought cheaper, it's far too big to store/ship and the QFLLs are prepared to sell at a lower price than most bought it for. Also.... it's butt ugly! I may as well be honest ? 

I agree with you on this one. I'm just picking up one for my collection...not going to take the risk of mico-gains post EOL. Perhaps worthy of a long-term hold, but I'm not that kind of investor...

I'm enjoying building this set so far. Just a point to note is that the box is made of butter. It's very glossy and the material is super thin. On the drive home from the store it fell over in the back of my car and put a huge crease right down the middle of the front.

Be careful mailing these if you have some for resale!

I'm enjoying building this set so far. Just a point to note is that the box is made of butter. It's very glossy and the material is super thin. On the drive home from the store it fell over in the back of my car and put a huge crease right down the middle of the front.
Be careful mailing these if you have some for resale!
I think it's a lot like Town Hall in that mint boxes are like unicorns.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just a random note. My local Lego store still has this set at least 3 deep at Retail pricing for those that didnt pick one up. You would have to drive to Concord, NC or arrange a buyer in the area.

They also have Slave I and Technic Porsche and get a lot of busted box stock on their trucks.

Edited by CosmicSpeed

3 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Just a random note. My local Lego store still has this set at least 3 deep at Retail pricing for those that didnt pick one up. You would have to drive to Concord, NC or arrange a buyer in the area.

They also have Slave I and Technic Porsche and get a lot of busted box stock on their trucks.

no busted box discount? ?

Just now, superlegolover said:

no busted box discount? ?

They do they typical 20% or 500 VIP point offer on their busted boxes. Today GBHQ, UCS S and Porsche are all in good condition like they never moved off the shelf. 3 deep.

Ive asked this store a lot how they still have those when they've been OOS online. Their answer is that they have a larger footprint than most stores and I would imagine their profit margin is pretty high. I always seem to miss when they get a random shipment of their modulars in, I missed a BB last time by a few hours.