75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

Did Stay Puft or Slimer ever visit the HQ?  Were they overusing the fire pole or stinking up the bathroom?

Yes in cartoons, IIRC Stay Puft came back at least once and Slimer moved in to the HQ.

But, no, not in the movies

Yeah, Slimer became a permanent 'house guest' of the Ghostbusters in the cartoon and he could talk somewhat. Oh yeah, and slimed Peter a lot. Ha. Stay Puft showed up six times I think between the Sandman episode (as part of a kid's dream), when Spengler's uncle let him loose from the containment unit after ranting how the whole ghost thing was "ridiculous nonsense", at the end of the story when the Ghostbusters temporarily were "Crimebusters" he walks into view then winks at the audience, when a paranormal convention came to town and he was going to be the guest of honor, then my favorite when "The Big Guy" fights Murray the Mantis, and finally for a Stay Puft Marshmallows commercial they let him out to film it which inadvertently let a real nasty Phantom they previously captured escape.

Okay, so I watched the cartoon with a passion.

• Like 2

Regarding the upcoming Ghostbusters movie, it simply will not be the same as the original and to go in hoping it will be is only going to succeed in disappointment from the start. The original films were written by the fantastic duo of Dan Aykroyd and the late Harold Ramis; both deserving of being known as comedic legends. They also teamed back up to write the plot for the video game released a few years ago to a number of consoles and computer so for most Ghostbusters: The Video Game is considered the true Ghostbusters 3 and may always be.

Ghostbusters in a way is a series similar to Star Wars in being one of those films filled with an overwhelming abundance of nostalgia from our childhood and as we all know nostalgia can be a tricky situation to contend with regardless of how well made the final product of any future project relating to it turns out.

With any luck, this reboot is being done in a manner respecting the original films, writers, and their respective fans and hopefully there will be very little of trying to reinvent the wheel. If it can manage to attain some of the original charm we loved while at the same time be fresh, I will be happy. Still the hardest part for me will be the absence of Egon. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

I am REALLY looking forward to this set!

There are quite some amazing MOCs out there that capture the spirit of the ghostbusters HQ pretty well so I hope I won't be disappointed after these have gotten my expectations so high.

In any case I guess it will be loaded with details and the minifigures sound good too.

Hopefully pictures will leak soon.

This set is out of every logic... why to produce so big set for a 30 years old movie? Why not something more recent, for example LOTR, which MOCs have often thousands votes in Ideas? Ghostbusters is not so strong theme, to make 1 standard Ideas set is more than enough. TLG usually tries to decrease the number of bricks as much as possible to make the set more available, and immediately they produces such extreme big set - it is just simple building, it is not necessary to make 4000+ bricks for it. Why they doesnt make a landmark or modular in this scale? For example Sydney opera, which suffer a lack of bricks and therefore it doesnt look so good (mainly the curvatures are horrible).

I dont understand at all.

• Like 2

This set is out of every logic... why to produce so big set for a 30 years old movie? Why not something more recent, for example LOTR, which MOCs have often thousands votes in Ideas? Ghostbusters is not so strong theme, to make 1 standard Ideas set is more than enough. TLG usually tries to decrease the number of bricks as much as possible to make the set more available, and immediately they produces such extreme big set - it is just simple building, it is not necessary to make 4000+ bricks for it. Why they doesnt make a landmark or modular in this scale? For example Sydney opera, which suffer a lack of bricks and therefore it doesnt look so good (mainly the curvatures are horrible).

neither do i. And i still suspect it could be a rumor generated to drive up sales of Ecto 1

the 4000+ piece count does sound a bit excessive.  however the rest sounds perfectly reasonable.  Haunted House sold quite well and is showing demand well after retirement, with nothing really replacing it yet.  A large scale Scooby set may be coming but that theme has not established itself yet.  Ghostbusters hype is at its peak, between the 30th last year, and the new movie coming next year. and Ecto-1 has shown the Ghostbusters popularity among AFOLs.  Thus a large scale Ghostbusters set fills the void, and likely well fit in well with the modular line.  Its a bit of a gamble, but so was Hellicarrier, and LEGO can afford more gambles these days, that they could not in the past.

So if the listing is $400 Canadian same as the UCS Helicarrier as valenciaeric brought up then going backwards will be $350 US. For a two-story building as most every modular house set has been and nine minifigures, there must be some serious detailing (inside & out) with play features galore to retail so highly which a couple thousand pieces give or take should manage that. Between the cult following of the original two films, the handful of video games over time including the fantastic PC one from a few years ago, the upcoming reboot, and the couple of levels for LEGO Dimensions, the legacy of busting ghosts is staying strong.

Well Ecto-1 is selling rather good I'd say.

A Ghostbusters-HQ would go along with HH which has been a huge success as well as with the modular line which also is a huge success AND with UCS sets that ALSO! have been a huge success.

My guess would be that the piece count is due to the enormous interior details with many small pieces.

Also seeing that Ghostbusters-HQ is highly popular in LEGO ideas also indicates that many people WANT it.

So it is NOT "out of every logic" and I'm sure it will be a huge success.

In terms of piece count given the scale it is actually sounding reasonable.  if we compare it to other modules like brickbank and DO, its 4" higher and 4" deeper.  the modulars are 1000 sq inches, and HQ would be around 1764, or 70% larger.  Between the height and the original design we can assume 3 stories.  both BB and DO are around 2300, so given the same level of detail 4000 is not unreasonable, for just the building.

Given the listing of the cabbie its possible we will get a cab as well adding another few hundred, and from ecto we know the mini fig accessories could be another 100 or so.  and who knows what else they could add outside the building itself.  thus the 4600 is not out of the question.  but given the price point and size I think 4000 is reasonable.

• Like 1