75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

I know you investors keep talking doom and gloom, but Lego doesn't care about you guys the way you think they do.  They are trying to maximize profit to the biggest audience possible.  Remakes are always going to happen whether you like it or not, and honestly, there is only so much OT material they can draw from before they start to re-make sets.  Yes the new movie is coming out this year, but with all the movies slated for the next several years, the hype isn't exactly going to dissipate and there will be plenty of time to capitalize on TFA UCS sets.  As a collector, bring on baby!!!

The way I see it, as long as they make only a handful of sets re-makes a year, then no big woop.  If their portfolio of sets in any given year becomes a significant chunk of new hot releases, then we can worry.  One re-make every couple of years on something like this is not going to bring the world down.

KCCO people.

Also, as others have noted, if you honestly have held onto this for over 12 years trying to squeeze ever last drop, then that's your own fault.  At one point, with inflation and every other measure out there, you will start to lose money anyways as it plateaus out in value.  There are exceptions of course, but 12+ years to hold on for possibly an extra couple hundred is silly, when there are plenty of sets even now that can net you more than that value in shorter time.

• Like 3

I know you investors keep talking doom and gloom, but Lego doesn't care about you guys the way you think they do.  They are trying to maximize profit to the biggest audience possible.  Remakes are always going to happen whether you like it or not, and honestly, there is only so much OT material they can draw from before they start to re-make sets.  Yes the new movie is coming out this year, but with all the movies slated for the next several years, the hype isn't exactly going to dissipate and there will be plenty of time to capitalize on TFA UCS sets.  As a collector, bring on baby!!!

The way I see it, as long as they make only a handful of sets re-makes a year, then no big woop.  If their portfolio of sets in any given year becomes a significant chunk of new hot releases, then we can worry.  One re-make every couple of years on something like this is not going to bring the world down.

KCCO people.

I absolutely think Lego couldn't care less about us. I think people will start feeling differently when they see the R2 & Red 5 remakes...

Edited by dcdfan

Also, as others have noted, if you honestly have held onto this for over 12 years trying to squeeze ever last drop, then that's your own fault.  At one point, with inflation and every other measure out there, you will start to lose money anyways as it plateaus out in value.  There are exceptions of course, but 12+ years to hold on for possibly an extra couple hundred is silly, when there are plenty of sets even now that can net you more than that value in shorter time.

Maybe they haven't attempted to "squeeze ever last drop" but perhaps sell off some of the many purchased...

I absolutely think Lego couldn't care less about us. I think people will start feeling differently when they see the R2 & Red 5 remakes...

Yes, I agree in this respect.  Seeing a remake within a couple of years of retirement is nonsense.  But a remake of a set that came out 10-15 years ago is just fine.  Especially when you consider the amount Lego has grown as a company in just the last 5-10 years alone.  With all the Star Wars hype and everything surrounding the popularity of Lego, it would honestly be stupid of them NOT to re-make a set that they made so long ago.  They would sell a re-make of a UCS set by multiple factors.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree in this respect.  Seeing a remake within a couple of years of retirement is nonsense.  But a remake of a set that came out 10-15 years ago is just fine.  Especially when you consider the amount Lego has grown as a company in just the last 5-10 years alone.  With all the Star Wars hype and everything surrounding the popularity of Lego, it would honestly be stupid of them NOT to re-make a set that they made so long ago.  They would sell a re-make of a UCS set by multiple factors.

I don't have a problem for lack of a better word with this possible remake but the more people (potential customers) see remakes, the more they will think twice before buying ANY Lego you're ever attempting to sell...

Maybe they haven't attempted to "squeeze ever last drop" but perhaps sell off some of the many purchased...

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?id=44414#T=P

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=lego+10129+-brick+-replacement+-slope+-panel+-tile+-hinge&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.Xlego+10129.TRS2&_nkw=lego+10129&_sacat=0

There aren't a lot for sale right now... If you're still holding while so few are available in the market place and at the prices they are selling for, I just don't feel sorry for you. I wonder how many sellers had/have yanked their Star Wars inventory from BL, eBay, etc, waiting to see what hype the movie generates.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem for lack of a better word with this possible remake but the more people (potential customers) see remakes, the more they will think twice before buying ANY Lego you're ever attempting to sell...

Of course this is true.  But that's the risk you take with any venture into anything that has a perceived collectable value to it.  You take the biggest risk when the company is still in business.  But that's what good due diligence will help to reduce when situations like this occur.  If you just collect and forget it, you run the risk of losing big.  But again, I'm a collector first, so I could care less where I get the product from.  If Lego is producing one for cheaper, then that's where I will get one.

I've mentioned several times that I used to own a 7191.  I loved that set, it was my very first UCS set before I went into my dark ages.  I subsequently gave it away.  I still prefer the newer X-Wing over the old one, and I have no plans on ever buying a 7191.  I'm happy having the new one.  I know there are people who don't think like me and others who are in my boat.

Of course this is true.  But that's the risk you take with any venture into anything that has a perceived collectable value to it.  You take the biggest risk when the company is still in business.  But that's what good due diligence will help to reduce when situations like this occur.  If you just collect and forget it, you run the risk of losing big.  But again, I'm a collector first, so I could care less where I get the product from.  If Lego is producing one for cheaper, then that's where I will get one.

I've mentioned several times that I used to own a 7191.  I loved that set, it was my very first UCS set before I went into my dark ages.  I subsequently gave it away.  I still prefer the newer X-Wing over the old one, and I have no plans on ever buying a 7191.  I'm happy having the new one.  I know there are people who don't think like me and others who are in my boat.

With all due respect, I beg to differ on calling you a collector.  You are a LEGO fan.  A collector cares about values and rarity...obviously, you don't.  I have thousands of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters in a plastic container at home.  Am I a "coin collector"?

Edited by Ed Mack

With all due respect, I beg to differ on calling you a collector.  You are a LEGO fan.  A collector cares about values and rarity...obviously, you don't.  I have thousands of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters in a plastic container at home.  Am I a "coin collector"?

as long as you have this guy too, you can be a coin collector

coins.gif

• Like 3

I do not believe this to be the case for all collectors.  Some collectors care about having certain items regardless of rarity or PV or FV.

• Like 2

In the literal sense you technically are a collector.  You can collect for value/rarity, etc, but you can also collect without a care about value.

Sure I do care about the value of some of my things, but it's not the biggest motivator either.

I technically 'collect' Blu-ray movies, but I don't do it for monetary reasons.  I do it to own the movies and such.  I have other stuff I've collected over the years that have no value whatsoever, but I still keep them because they hold meaning to me other than value.  So yes, I do still consider myself a collector and a huge fan of Lego.

I'm not trying to start a huge war about it, but it's just different definitions to fit different people's needs is all.  So yes we do disagree, but we are both right.

• Like 2

I sometimes stop to collect my thoughts - those can be pretty worthless.

• Like 5

In the literal sense you technically are a collector.  You can collect for value/rarity, etc, but you can also collect without a care about value.

Sure I do care about the value of some of my things, but it's not the biggest motivator either.

I technically 'collect' Blu-ray movies, but I don't do it for monetary reasons.  I do it to own the movies and such.  I have other stuff I've collected over the years that have no value whatsoever, but I still keep them because they hold meaning to me other than value.  So yes, I do still consider myself a collector and a huge fan of Lego.

I'm not trying to start a huge war about it, but it's just different definitions to fit different people's needs is all.  So yes we do disagree, but we are both right.

-

I do not believe this to be the case for all collectors.  Some collectors care about having certain items regardless of rarity or PV or FV.

For some reason the term hoarder comes to mind...and not in the classic definition of the term...but the modern interpretation.  

"LEGO", "Star Wars", and "remake" are terms we should be used to seeing together by now considering the theme has been around for almost sixteen going on seventeen years. Whether you welcome the idea or not, stuff like this is going to happen anyway. The most we can wish for is hopefully the upcoming redesign will be different enough to distinguish by comparison with the last and in some ways an improvement as well.

My personal beef with remakes is when there barely are a couple years between such releases. I understand LEGO is limited to just the source material provided by the storyline itself (aside from the few sets based on The Yoda Chronicles among some other designs) therefore unfortunately forcing them to inevitably make another redo whereas any other theme for example City are uninhibited by such limitations.

Just like some other people said here... if one deer is over the fence more will follow. 

Could it be Lego is sacrificing us investors and the secondary market. They have had the advantages of the secondary market for years. But maybe now we are becoming a pain in the rear end. A stone in their shoe. So they are "killing us" softly. Not with an shock and awe. So they can reform the lego aftermarket. Clean it up a bit. To make it more graspy. Maybe some negative consequences are seen as collateral damage before reaching their goal.

I always believe nothing happens without a reason. Like what happened now with VW.