75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, Anomander said:

Is your connected mate frantic to clear his pallet of them out of his Aladdin's Cave? He's let them get overripe and this prospective reboot looks set to wipe a couple of 100 grand off his nest egg.

He's not a mate per se, just a big player who's bought lots of me in the past. I've not seen him in a while but I'd expect him to have been shrewd enough to buy the first editions with certificate, sticker and letter from LEGO like I did. Even if he did miss the boat, he can easily afford it and should still 2x his investment which ain't bad for a 9yr old set.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

If the remake of the UCS Snowspeeder goes poof, maybe LEGO is realizing that the remakes of iconic STAR WARS sets are poor sellers.  

Since Red5 bombed, I doubt we'll see another UCS X-Wing unless they decide to make a blue or orange one. However, a new UCS MF will create the biggest frenzy to date IMHO.

I think they could make the Snowspeeder a little more "smooth" with all the new pieces and building techniques. Whether or not that's a good thing is something else. I'm enclined to say yes, but some would disagree.

I do think there's other sets out there that deserve a remake, like the TIE Interceptor.

A *gasp* whole new ship would be even better, but that's unlikely. A-Wing, AT-AT, Jabba's Sail Barge, AT-TE, Venator, TIE Bomber and Nebulon would all make fine candidates.

• Like 2

The new death star is 4000+ bricks and rings in at $500. If they were to remake the MF 10179 at 5000+ bricks the price point would exceed $600. Im sorry but I just dont see that happening. Im not really vested in this race but Id like to think LEGO will be more original then another rehash.

17 minutes ago, longshot said:

The new death star is 4000+ bricks and rings in at $500. If they were to remake the MF 10179 at 5000+ bricks the price point would exceed $600. Im sorry but I just dont see that happening. Im not really vested in this race but Id like to think LEGO will be more original then another rehash.

I agree with this.  I have a MISB 10179 and a used one.  Am I invested in this set, sure, but I really don't plan on selling it (like in ever), so I can try to be honest with my appraisal of the situation.

The LEGO Group has to realize there is a point where the vast majority of regular people just will not pay $600.00 or more for a new LEGO set to make it a profitable release.    Everybody likes to say LEGO sets are for kids, but honestly ask yourself, how many kids (or their parents) can afford a $600.00 LEGO set?  A $600.00 LEGO set to LEGO has way more negatives attached to it, than positives in my opinion.  The LEGO Group's profits are not as strong as they were and they might be less likely to produce another massive set like the 10179.  Could they?  Yes, for sure, but things are changing.  The primary and secondary LEGO markets are weakening, so would LEGO invest so much in a risky behemoth of a set?  I say it is getting less likely all the time.

Maybe LEGO wants to make a statement and release an uber UCS Falcon, but they certainly under-impressed with the 10188 replacement.  The 75159 is the test case for LEGO and if it sells, then maybe the uber UCS Falcon is coming.  If the 75159 doesn't sell, well I would look to a smaller UCS Falcon that costs around $400.00.  A lot of people say investors have little effect on the market, that regular LEGO fans drive the market.  Well, are there enough regular LEGO fans out there to make an $600.00 uber UCS Falcon profitable?

7 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

...or TLG ran out of new Snowspeeder designs and learned that nearly identical rehashes are poor sellers :)

The old UCS Snowspeeder is hard to improve.  Time for LEGO to build UCS sets that are based on new ideas, not previously done sets.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The old UCS Snowspeeder is hard to improve.  Time for LEGO to build UCS sets that are based on new ideas, not previously done sets.  

Yes, but you'd think they would have realized that some time ago.  Last year's two "UCS" releases (Hoth and DS 2.0) are both rated 3 stars at LEGO Shop at Home.  That's basically as low as any Lego set has ever gone.  It's half a star lower than the UCS B-Wing, which sold so badly they cut it off after a year.  Being Danish, Lego probably can't fire employees unless they go on a shooting rampage at work, but ideally a lot of heads would have rolled after the epic 2015 UCS Debacle.  I finally got around to watching Jang's review of Hoth on youtube.  Seeing that Lego omitted one of the four power generators and left the back of the ion cannon wide open was just bizarre.  I think Lepin would have done it better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Yes, but you'd think they would have realized that some time ago.  Last year's two "UCS" releases (Hoth and DS 2.0) are both rated 3 stars at LEGO Shop at Home.  That's basically as low as any Lego set has ever gone.  It's half a star lower than the UCS B-Wing, which sold so badly they cut it off after a year.  Being Danish, Lego probably can't fire employees unless they go on a shooting rampage at work, but ideally a lot of heads would have rolled after the epic 2015 UCS Debacle.  I finally got around to watching Jang's review of Hoth on youtube.  Seeing that Lego omitted one of the four power generators and left the back of the ion cannon wide open was just bizarre.  I think Lepin would have done it better.

Hoth is so bad Lepin haven't copied it

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Sorry but it is not about what the fans want, it is about what LEGO thinks the fans would want. Right now apparently the fans want remakes :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Yup. Hasbro and Mattel mastered selling toys through 1980s popular cartoons and failed movies ;)  The TV programs were pretty much commercials that I loved. 

Lego needs to buy the Captain Planet license.  I used to love that show.

CaptainPlanet_Cover2-2.jpg

Edited by GhostDad

15 hours ago, longshot said:

Don't forget that a new Millenium Falcon probably would include much less minifigures than the Death Star does. So $600/600€ could be feasible as RRP.

• Like 1