75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

Disappointing that LEGO cannot come up with new and unique UCS sets without rehashing old versions that were done quite well. There are plenty of different vehicles and characters they can be recreated in ABS plastic without having to resort to duplicating retired sets.

How much of that is LEGO's decision to make? We don't know what role Lucasfilm has in influencing sets that are produced.

It could very well be an order from them what the product line is, how long a product runs, and what will be produced. Maybe they want to see this set redone.

57 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Disappointing that LEGO cannot come up with new and unique UCS sets without rehashing old versions that were done quite well. There are plenty of different vehicles and characters they can be recreated in ABS plastic without having to resort to duplicating retired sets.

To be fair, the UCS snowspeeder was released over a decade ago. Considering how rare it is by now, it might as well have never existed as far as many people are concerned. And they have put out some good new UCS sets recently, like the Slave I.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, bricketycricket said:

To be fair, the UCS snowspeeder was released over a decade ago. Considering how rare it is by now, it might as well have never existed as far as many people are concerned. And they have put out some good new UCS sets recently, like the Slave I.

I agree 100%.  I'm all about rehashing some of the older UCS, give the new/next/ recently out of the dark ages people a chance to buy some nice UCS sets.. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan ( I like Technic, the Modulars  Architect and DC lines), but I have the UCS Slave 1, UCS Tie FIghter and The Super Star Destroyer (10221) all still factored sealed, and I wanted to snag a few other UCS but I don't want to spend 2 grand for them. So for me, redo the older UCS and I will buy them.. I'm looking forward to this UCS set and the UCS Death Star.  I really want a Star Destroyer (10030), but not at that price it's commanding. lol 

It's been said on here many of times, LEGO doesn't care about resellers, they want new customers and more of them, so rehashing some of these sets they give said mention groups above a chance at getting these sets, which includes me. 

• Like 1

The older iconic UCS sets will weather the storm and remain highly collectible and desirable...although it will slow their growth. The people paying those prices are not your typical buyers. The are serious STAR WARS and LEGO fans that want to complete their collection and want all the versions of the top sets. If I already didn't own them, I would want to own them and find a way to acquire them.

LEGO has given resellers plenty of time to unload classic sets. My issue is that there are so many more options out there that I would like duplicated in bricks that rehashing older versions and is a disappointment to me. It doesn't really alter my thought process or methods on investing. I understand that LEGO likes to rerelease sets to new fans so they can enjoy them. A guy like me is still looking for a UCS AT-AT, Darth Vader bust and C-3PO model to pair with R2.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

LEGO has given resellers plenty of time to unload classic sets. 

I just hope the current Lego leadership continues to give us time between Retirement and refreshes for the D2C sets . Lately, they haven't with widely available sets since 2011/2012 introduced sets.

As I'm not an 10129 owner, I welcome this set. However, I'm more than encourage to build my "pile of older exclusive stuff to sell " more than ever.

30 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The older iconic UCS sets will weather the storm and remain highly collectible and desirable...although it will slow their growth. The people paying those prices are not your typical buyers. The are serious STAR WARS and LEGO fans that want to complete their collection and want all the versions of the top sets. If I already didn't own them, I would want to own them and find a way to acquire them.

LEGO has given resellers plenty of time to unload classic sets. My issue is that there are so many more options out there that I would like duplicated in bricks that rehashing older versions and is a disappointment to me. It doesn't really alter my thought process or methods on investing. I understand that LEGO likes to rerelease sets to new fans so they can enjoy them. A guy like me is still looking for a UCS AT-AT, Darth Vader bust and C-3PO model to pair with R2.

The remaking of the UCS sets is bad for all LEGO investors. The impact is not only on the original sets that are remade, but on the line overall.

Most buyers of the high flyers are speculators, who after getting burned (multiple times now) will certainly learn to avoid getting burnt again. Even the wealthy LEGO collectors (who aren't buying for investment, but for enjoyment) would certainly prefer to avoid making unwise purchases (this is usually a trait which helps to create that wealth).

Although it doesn't alter your thought process or methods on investing, it probably should. I know you buy and buy, and do not sell - you have faith in the overall LEGO valuation continuing to rise (which is reasonable to believe). One day when you sell, you will be pleased with the results. Happy to have avoided all the good/bad investing decisions.

But you are an exception - most investors need to understand that these re-releases are relevant, and should have an impact on how one chooses to invest.

• Like 1

The remaking of the UCS sets is bad for all LEGO investors. The impact is not only on the original sets that are remade, but on the line overall.

Most buyers of the high flyers are speculators, who after getting burned (multiple times now) will certainly learn to avoid getting burnt again. Even the wealthy LEGO collectors (who aren't buying for investment, but for enjoyment) would certainly prefer to avoid making unwise purchases (this is usually a trait which helps to create that wealth).

Although it doesn't alter your thought process or methods on investing, it probably should. I know you buy and buy, and do not sell - you have faith in the overall LEGO valuation continuing to rise (which is reasonable to believe). One day when you sell, you will be pleased with the results. Happy to have avoided all the good/bad investing decisions.

But you are an exception - most investors need to understand that these re-releases are relevant, and should have an impact on how one chooses to invest.

They are relevant and they don't help values long term, I agree. I am also a realist and realize their is a ceiling for many of these sets. Obviously, I am the "whale" collector that likes to stockpile all sorts of sets. My Brickfoilio is widely varied and I have many TMNTs, Lone Ranger, Prince of Persia, Atlantis and other subpar performers because I like the sets. I have all the older UCS sets, but I really don't care because they are keepers to me anyway. I have a few duplicates, but most I have a built copy and a sealed copy. I don't have 10 or 20 of a set like that.

Only recently have I been stockpiling sets, but now I have shifted back to my original plan of buying one to build and one or two to save. I buy all themes and intriguing sets from those themes. Yes, the new STAR WARS movies are both a blessing and a curse for LEGO collecting, but as always, pick the right sets and they will appreciate well. The market is still strong, but no way as easy as it once was. But I build a set everyday with my son and see his reaction and my own and realize this is no commodity. It's the best damn toy ever created and there will always be people like myself wanting them all.

• Like 9

Lego is losing creativity and ingenuity for technology(newer build techniques etc.). That will work for a while, but they are doing what all huge corporations do, they forget how they got there and diminish in time.  If the secondary market gets killed due to rehashes because they lack ingenuity and new ideas, the toy will not be sustainable.  Prices are too high, Lego for what it is, is way too expensive.  They get away with that because we exist, selling old sets of limited supply.  Going forward choice of investment will be of most importance as well as knowing when to sell, not letting greed come home to roost.  In 24 months Lego is remaking way too many expensive and low level sets.  It had made me pause and assess next course.  If the DS is replaced with a similar one I will really be assessing as well as hoping my 29 10188 will at least hit 600 so I can exit the trade.

The good news is with 3 UCS sets next year, the chances of a remade OT AT AT,  ISD or SSD are a lot slimmer. I´m not saying there won´t be playsets coming out in the Autumn but there is a limit to how many releases they can do. One would imagine that a couple of the current sets (EV and Sandcrawler) are going to get the chop some time next year too.

8 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

The good news is with 3 UCS sets next year, the chances of a remade OT AT AT,  ISD or SSD are a lot slimmer. I´m not saying there won´t be playsets coming out in the Autumn but there is a limit to how many releases they can do. One would imagine that a couple of the current sets (EV and Sandcrawler) are going to get the chop some time next year too.

Yeah.  In Lego's defense, there is a limit to the number of iconic SW vehicles and locations available, and they are not equally popular.  In other words, redoing the X-wing makes sense.  It's harder to explain why we've had no UCS AT-AT, though as someone sitting on a pile of 75054's, I'm not complaining.

That said, snowspeeders have never excited me.  They're lightly armed, ridiculously fragile, and outside of one lucky tow cable shot have no way to take on Imperial ground assault vehicles.  They're the Rebel version of the Sherman tank.  The US and Rebels both won their wars, but the Sherman was the worst tank on the WW2 battlefield by the end of the war, grossly inferior to Tigers in the same way snowspeeders are to AT-AT's.  It was never clear to me why the Rebels would invest in a fighter that couldn't damage an AT-AT.  For the next UCS set, I'd rather have seen a UCS Mon Calamari Cruiser.

• Like 2

Yeah.  In Lego's defense, there is a limit to the number of iconic SW vehicles and locations available, and they are not equally popular.  In other words, redoing the X-wing makes sense.  It's harder to explain why we've had no UCS AT-AT, though as someone sitting on a pile of 75054's, I'm not complaining.

That said, snowspeeders have never excited me.  They're lightly armed, ridiculously fragile, and outside of one lucky tow cable shot have no way to take on Imperial ground assault vehicles.  They're the Rebel version of the Sherman tank.  The US and Rebels both won their wars, but the Sherman was the worst tank on the WW2 battlefield by the end of the war, grossly inferior to Tigers in the same way snowspeeders are to AT-AT's.  It was never clear to me why the Rebels would invest in a fighter that couldn't damage an AT-AT.  For the next UCS set, I'd rather have seen a UCS Mon Calamari Cruiser.

Wasn't Home One enough for you?!?

9 hours ago, GhostDad said:

I think it was a question of resources. Sure the rebels had won a decisive victory, but this just caused the empire to double down on hunting them. They bought what equipment they could easily transport and adapted them to their purposes. "Are the speeders ready?" "We're having some trouble adapting them to the cold." Their other option, possibly better option, was using X-Wings to fight them. But perhaps they are more maneuverable in atmosphere than a starfighter.

You have to remember that in an insurgency, you don't have access to the best equipment, and what you have may be used for a non standard purpose.

11 hours ago, GhostDad said:

For the next UCS set, I'd rather have seen a UCS Mon Calamari Cruiser.

That thing would never make a good UCS, I can only imagine it as an overpriced space cucumber... not even iconic anyway. Why do you think B-Wing flopped? I like Star Wars, but did not even know about that ship before the release of the set. 

Therefore successful UCS sets are the ones that get enough screen time AND are well recognizable. LEGO's choice of sets are limited, given the OT. We can see an AT-AT, a Vader, a C3-PO, some speeder bikes and that car thing from Tatooine, but I don't think that last one is iconic enough anyway. No more comes to my mind. EPI-III are strictly off limits. EPVII... it needs some time. I think it is at least 2 years before we see anything. I guess maybe at release of EPVIII we might see something from the new trilogy, but certainly not before.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2

I could see a limited edition A-Wing, a landspeeder, AT-AT, maybe even a speeder bike. If you write off the PT, you write off a large number of designs. The republic gunship, aat, at-te, Jedi interceptor, wheelbike, Sith infiltrator, venator cruiser, naboo royal starship are all designs that could benefit from some attention.

• Like 3