LEGO admits shortages this Xmas

Ninja1668

I remember all the news reports last year about the shortages Canada might have. Aside from maybe 7965 and the Minecraft line; everything seemed to stay fairly well stocked.

Still sounds good for JW flipping though!

I remember my local media reporting the Lego shortages in Canada before, especially the non-chain stores were only receiving 30-40% of their total order.

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/the-lego-group-expands-factories/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Brickfanatics+(Brick+Fanatics)

And here is the flipside, more factories and more production which will probably come on stream when demand (at least in traditional markets) has fallen from current levels.

I hope it doesn´t turn out to be Exo Suit on a mass scale - maybe the Chinese will absorb it.

I feel like LEGO says this every year and it probably does help push some early holiday sales in their direction.  There are bound to be some sets with quick-flip potential as always but it's never across the board.  I thought stores were fairly well stocked around here last year but perhaps that was due to lack of sales on LEGO.  I'm sure the big box retailers such as Walmart, Target, and TRU would be the least likely to be affected by the shortages since LEGO wants to keep them happy.    

Sorry if this has been posted but I just saw this article in a UK tabloid

I'll finish the header "Toy giant Lego has warned of Christmas shortages as it battles to meet rising demand of new resellers"

On a serious note the move to expand their production on such a scale is concerning. Investors are putting huge amounts of money into Legos business. Say for example the average family/parent spends £300 a year on Lego for their child, that would mean that this year alone I've invested the equivelant of 80 times more. Stock is not an indication of demand, something I wonder if TLG have seriously considered.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Posted this in another thread, but i'm going to post this here too..

Well, i'm definitely convinced of the lego shortage when I scan through amazon, or visit my local stores.  It's not in the typical creator 3 in 1 sets, or ninjago that is scarce… but Star Wars is definitely being hit and hit very hard.  Stock on online sites are mostly ghost towns at the moment, and even more stores are starting to get wiped out of the more prominent and popular sets.  Star Wars, Jurrassic World, and even most Superhero sets are pretty scarce.  So, I think they were a little right about it. Question remains, once the movie hysteria hits after the movie releases, can they recover, or how long will it take them to recover?  Or is this going to be like jurassic world where they never basically recover, and these sets are not impossible to find, but kinda hard to find and this overly obsessive demand extends will into spring.   Not saying it will, but it could.  

I really think they are retiring so many sets right now, because they know what they are up against, and to wipe out all the sets from winter 2014 into winter 2015 is just a good call which allows them to focus on the summer wave of 2015 to current.  Funny, that most exclusives are easier to get than most TIE Fighters, Poe's X-wings, and even that ugly snow speeder.