Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

18 minutes ago, BearCrash said:

Sold out on the non-Whovian side of the planet.

Of course, that could also mean TLG only produced one batch for the US and a gazillion batches for Europe/UK.

How it does in the US is of no concern to me. All I know is that here it has been heavily discounted and is still around. What are the most recent seal codes, btw?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Val-E said:

How it does in the US is of no concern to me. All I know is that here it has been heavily discounted and is still around. What are the most recent seal codes, btw?

I had 46H6 (different factory than normal?) from SaH last week so it'll be in this dimension for a lot longer ;-(

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Dear oh dear oh dear. H was the one for Imperial Hotel so we are doomed! Well you are, cos I only have one.

Not at all, I've been offered £30 each for all mine and stand to make £800 if I did get cold feet.

1 hour ago, landphieran said:

Tabby talks big game of Lego hate but we all know deep down he has a warm cuddly hoarder heart.

He's working a psy op; talking down Lego investing in the bubble thread (to scare off competitors) while he stockpiles every retiring Architecture set (so he says in the Arch threads).  Actually, I'm not sure how the second activity furthers the goals of the first, but I bet there's a secret plan in there somewhere.

• Like 4

On 15/12/2016 at 11:05 PM, TabbyBoy said:

Not at all, I've been offered £30 each for all mine and stand to make £800 if I did get cold feet.

For these large, multi set sales you always seem to get, are they all to contacts you have established? How many do you have? Just curious because much of your purchase advice isn't really relevant to us minnows.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

For these large, multi set sales you always seem to get, are they all to contacts you have established? How many do you have? Just curious because much of your purchase advice isn't really relevant to us minnows.

Most contacts are those I found eBay and Gumtree when I get asked questions like "Good price, how many more of these do you have?" When that sort of buyer buys something, I normally put a note in the box with my disposable email address so that they can then "deal direct" if they request that but, worded in a way that doesn't arouse too much suspicion. Other contacts are owners of independent toy shops that I simply visit and ask to meet, I then simply ask them to spread the word. A lot are now selling retired sets at a nominal mark-up which appears popular. Toy shops in seaside resorts (with lots of kids) are a good target. It's surprising how many with deal with your if the price is right. I'm also registered for VAT in my other business which helps.

For the "minnows" among us, just spread the word at local schools, kindergartens, libraries, news agents and village halls. These are great places to put up free adverts and you'll be surprised how many call up especially before Xmas and during school holidays.

BTW... 21304 Doctor Who has now reached the price where I can clear about £10 after fees.

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, emazers said:

I hope nobody in the US has gotten tons of Doctor Who sets unless you got them dirt cheap, as for me I have none as I don't think the set will ever bring any good money.

Says the man who bought a lot of 10188 Death Stars ;-)

8 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I didn't loose any money on the 10188 DS, as a buy in at $262-$309, I made about $5,000 on the ones I sold. like I said before these would be about $700 and up without the remake.  plus nobody new they were going to remake the same thing,

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, emazers said:

I hope nobody in the US has gotten tons of Doctor Who sets unless you got them dirt cheap, as for me I have none as I don't think the set will ever bring any good money.

What makes you come to this conclusion?  Is it just your many years in the lego business and this is what your gut says?  or is it just the roots of the show lay in another continent?

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Don't forget Epic Dragon Battles.

Anyway, I know plenty of sci-fi addicts here in the States who are into the show.  It's still going strong after 50 years.  Doctor Who is not my cup of tea, but it certainly has a following.  Look in Netflix under Television > Sci-Fi.  Half the results are Doctor Who in one form or another.

Edited by GhostDad
  • Like 1

Please correct me if I am wrong here. Dr Who television show was not on the air one single day of this sets shelf life.  Also there is a Dr Who Christmas Special about the good doctor saving NY from aliens called: The Return of Doctor Mysterio  it will be in select theaters Tues. 27 and Thursday the 29th.. then the new season drops this spring correct?? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

Please correct me if I am wrong here. Dr Who television show was not on the air one single day of this sets shelf life.  Also there is a Dr Who Christmas Special about the good doctor saving NY from aliens called: The Return of Doctor Mysterio  it will be in select theaters Tues. 27 and Thursday the 29th.. then the new season drops this spring correct?? 

Correct. Your point being?