Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

which version of the Dalek's do people prefer?  Ideas (1st pic)  or the dimensions version  (2nd pic)

Dimensions seems more retro & bulky while Ideas is detailed and streamlined. I think the eyestalk on both can swivel which is a necessary feature. I know some people elsewhere with complaints about their sizing being not right saying that the Dalek builds are "too big" and "should be under the height of a minifigure". Perhaps but until LEGO starts making even smaller blocks, these are just fine. Anyway each have their own little bits that make both intriguing. I imagine some of the bulk for the Dimensions version has to do with the other two rebuilds for the model in the game.

Is this big in Europe because I have never heard of Dr Who?  If it wasnt for being into Lego I would have never heard of this show.  I thought I was just not in the loop or maybe it was is geared for older or younger people than me, I'm 36.  I asked around the bar rail last night (my place of work) and it seems like you either cant believe I have never heard of it or you are like me and completely clueless.  I asked 25 people and the 3 people that really knew about the show all grew up or spent time in Europe.  I had a few people say its a reality tv show which I found out was wrong and a few others thought it might be a band.  Someone said the main dude is David Tennant and that I should know who that was.  Again I was clueless but after looking at his bio pic I did know him as the guy from Gracepoint but other than that never heard of him.  Just wondering if I am the only one clueless on this?

Is this big in Europe because I have never heard of Dr Who?  If it wasnt for being into Lego I would have never heard of this show.  I thought I was just not in the loop or maybe it was is geared for older or younger people than me, I'm 36.  I asked around the bar rail last night (my place of work) and it seems like you either cant believe I have never heard of it or you are like me and completely clueless.  I asked 25 people and the 3 people that really knew about the show all grew up or spent time in Europe.  I had a few people say its a reality tv show which I found out was wrong and a few others thought it might be a band.  Someone said the main dude is David Tennant and that I should know who that was.  Again I was clueless but after looking at his bio pic I did know him as the guy from Gracepoint but other than that never heard of him.  Just wondering if I am the only one clueless on this?

For a little while in the 70's/80's it was on PBS. I know my mom watched it sometimes back then. Then when the series came back in2005, I thought it was on Sci-Fi or something, but I don't recall. It's kind of a culty show. When nerds watch it and like it, they tend to go really all in on it. I think the Venn Diagram of LEGO nerds and Whovians has a large overlap.

It's huge in Britain and former British colonies.

For a little while in the 70's/80's it was on PBS. I know my mom watched it sometimes back then. Then when the series came back in2005, I thought it was on Sci-Fi or something, but I don't recall. It's kind of a culty show. When nerds watch it and like it, they tend to go really all in on it. I think the Venn Diagram of LEGO nerds and Whovians has a large overlap.

It's huge in Britain and former British colonies.

That's the only time I ever watched the show.  A couple times as a kid on PBS.  Thought it was weird then and never watched again.  I've also never heard of David Tennant in my life so don't feel bad guys.  I'm sure it's a decent show, any show that's been around as long as Dr. Who would be, but i don't believe it to be a "huge" show in the US. 

I knew Doctor Who since birth. For all I know my first word was "Doctor". ^_^ With a cult following on par to other classic series of television, I'd say it is popular here in US or at the very least people know of the Doctor. Besides it's rather difficult to ever mention the concept of time travel without him popping into the conversation.

• Like 2