Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

Wait, so this one is already a bust? It's been out like 16 hours. Exo suit wasn't even exo suit until a few months after release.

Edited by MarxMarvelous

I have never seen an episode of Dr. Who. So if you ask me who Dr. Who is I would respond: "Dr. Who???"

But just look at the box-design. Just take a look at the figs. Simply look at the phone booth. The beautiful blue colour they used. I love it!!!!

Thats me for sure...keep selling @89.50 with good pace.

Guarantee that part of the licence agreement with the BBC, will be to have this set everywhere.  There was never any chance it was going to be limited or Lego only.  Maybe a short window if the supplies don’t reach stores in volume before the holidays, but after that it will be everywhere and around for some time.  Doubt there is much in the way of flipping opportunity.  

4 hours ago, Ciglione said:

I have never seen an episode of Dr. Who. So if you ask me who Dr. Who is I would respond: "Dr. Who???"

But just look at the box-design. Just take a look at the figs. Simply look at the phone booth. The beautiful blue colour they used. I love it!!!!

this set casts a larger swath of generational interest with appeal to older or mature if you need be politically correct AFOLs.  by older I mean a say born before 1973.  that makes me older by more than a few years.  i remember watching this on a black and white tv in 1973 .  watched it only for the daleks.  exterminate - ROBOTS!!!!...  my parents for some reason let me watch this, and PBS was one of the few channels that came in on the rabbit ears (pre-cable).  i haven't since it i was like 8.  after Star Wars came out when I was 8 this show looked like someone's home movie/future youtube video.  never got into the later iterations.

Doctor Who for whatever reason has a cult like following. sort of like The Simpsons-ish - you have to be a true believer in your gut.  I'm not going to compare with ecto-1 or BTTF or wall-e because those are/were much less risky than a set based on an obscure TV show for future 80s geeks and subsequent geeky scifi echo's but the show has an enduring international fan base over several decades.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

Dr. Who is a cultural icon. Big Bang Theory is a nerdy Friends or How I Met Your Mother rip off.  I like both shows....but in the culture of geekdom and marketability (of merchandise).....Dr. Who is The Nature Boy Ric Flair......BBT is The Nature Boy Buddy Landel. 

How I Met Your Mother should never, ever be in the same sentence as BBT or Friends. It was terribly lame, the other two ruled in ratings...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cladner said:

this is an older or mature if you need be politically correct AFOL thing.  by older I mean a say born before 1973.  that makes me older by more than a few years.  i remember watching this on a black and white tv in 1973 .  watched it only for the daleks.  exterminate - ROBOTS!!!!...  my parents for some reason let me watch this, and PBS was one of the few channels that came in on the rabbit ears (pre-cable).  i haven't since it i was like 8.  after Star Wars came out when I was 8 this show looked like someone's home movie/future youtube video.  never got into the later iterations.

Doctor Who for whatever reason has a cult like following. sort of like The Simpsons-ish - you have to be a true believer in your gut.  I'm not going to compare with ecto-1 or BTTF or wall-e because those are/were much less risky than a set based on an obscure TV show for future 80s geeks and subsequent geeky scifi echo's but the show has an enduring international fan base over several decades.

So... does this make me young or make you old?

11 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

For the record, I've never watched an episode of either. I'd just swing towards the most fandom being on the "Friends" nerd craze over the Dr. In the scarf or the Dr. Who looks like he has a finger in the outlet.

Speaking specifically on the LEGO sets ( but also generally on merchandise generated by their respective shows)....I'd imagine the fans of Dr. Who are much more willing to shell out 59.99 (and up) on a LEGO set of the Dr. as opposed to fans of BBT shelling out 59.99 on a LEGO set of that show.

I like both shows.....but I think there's a great underestimating of the icon status of the good Dr.  To me, the big mistake TLC did was not including a Tom Baker Dr. figure. 

• Like 2