10253 - Big Ben

Alpinemaps

9 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Mine arrived today from Lego Shop at Home. I didn't expect it yet because I had not received a shipping notification from them and they don't always ship the same day I place an order.

well, call it a surprise

9 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Mine arrived today from Lego Shop at Home. I didn't expect it yet because I had not received a shipping notification from them and they don't always ship the same day I place an order.

Does it come in its own fitting shipping box or the slightly larger normal box Lego ships loose sets in?

So stoked. Local Oakridge store got a drop shipment in today, picked up a copy and redeemed $215 in points, less than $100 out the door. Huzzah. @mattyman I don't have the definitive answer, but I can safely guess the answer is no. Tons of the 4000 parts are 1x1s. Consequently the box is no larger than any modular box, which comes 2 per case.

11 hours ago, mattyman said:

Does it come in its own fitting shipping box or the slightly larger normal box Lego ships loose sets in?

It came in the normal box that Lego uses to ship large sets. It also had the free fountain set and some air bags to fill the empty space.

Mods please move if there is a more appropriate topic, but I searched and couldn't find one that really fit besides a blog post from a couple years back...

Now that this beast is out in the wild, is anyone looking at stocking up on some 21013 Architecture versions of this set? I wasn't really around when the Architecture SOH was retiring, but it's up to around $100 on ebay now. For those that were around, would you attribute some of it's popularity to being driven by it's much larger cousin? Is there any speculation that this new Big Ben will do the same for little Big Ben when/if it goes? The blog I mentioned commented on 21013 as one of the few sets that was selling above MSRP even while it was still on shelves in stores. This still seems to be the case 2 years later. 

So what's the longer term experience outlook on this? Should the horde be hoarding? I've grabbed a couple thus far, but looking at that Fountain Promo... 2 big bens nets a fountain at only $5 above the needed threshold.... ;)

20 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Mods please move if there is a more appropriate topic, but I searched and couldn't find one that really fit besides a blog post from a couple years back...

Now that this beast is out in the wild, is anyone looking at stocking up on some 21013 Architecture versions of this set? I wasn't really around when the Architecture SOH was retiring, but it's up to around $100 on ebay now. For those that were around, would you attribute some of it's popularity to being driven by it's much larger cousin? Is there any speculation that this new Big Ben will do the same for little Big Ben when/if it goes? The blog I mentioned commented on 21013 as one of the few sets that was selling above MSRP even while it was still on shelves in stores. This still seems to be the case 2 years later. 

So what's the longer term experience outlook on this? Should the horde be hoarding? I've grabbed a couple thus far, but looking at that Fountain Promo... 2 big bens nets a fountain at only $5 above the needed threshold.... ;)

I have exactly the same thought about the 21013...

15 hours ago, Will 4 said:

This looks like they supersized the architecture set. But I will probably buy one

I've just finished building mine.  It does feel like you are building a huge architecture set with all the small pieces but you have to have small pieces to get all the detail.

It's an impressive looking set and some interesting techniques used in the build. Definitely worth the money in my eyes. 

I find it interesting that on the back side there are darker bricks signifying where the rest of the Palace of Westminster would attach. Will be interesting to see someone MOC the rest of the building and what the cost would be.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amaurybegood said:

I have exactly the same thought about the 21013...

I'd be surprised if 21013 did anything really.  It's a hugely poor recreation. It's the only architecture set I've not stocked any of, even before 10253 was announced. They could have at least printed a clock tile that only had 2 hands on it. 

Guest TabbyBoy
18 hours ago, shortyz said:

seems to be the story as of late with lego, make a set with a high piece count with a million small pieces. older sets with the same piece count were twice as heavy..

I agree, I can't understand why everybody else judges the value of a set by £/$/€ per piece instead of by actual amount of plastic. However, 10253 is great value in my book and fairly priced in the UK for once!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the midst of building this set (3 days in, and I'm half way.....building an hour each time).  Very high piece count, but majority of the pieces are tiny!  My fingers are sore.

I am not finding this build very enjoyable at all......and the set doesn't look as impressive as I initially thought.  Anyone else have this feeling?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vader888 said:

I'm in the midst of building this set (3 days in, and I'm half way.....building an hour each time).  Very high piece count, but majority of the pieces are tiny!  My fingers are sore.

I am not finding this build very enjoyable at all......and the set doesn't look as impressive as I initially thought.  Anyone else have this feeling?

Very tedious build.  The only enjoyment I had was when I was done!  I don`t remember how it looked half way through but the end result is beautiful to me.

• 2 weeks later...