Ghostbusters - general discussion

jaisonline

1 hour ago, KShine said:

It isn't going to be an Ideas theme set. I was just reading about how the situation was handled (and to me, it seems pretty crappy). Below is a statement from the person who submitted the set to LEGO Ideas. 

http://www.swissgb.ch/my-statement-on-the-release-of-the-lego-ghostbusters-firehouse-headquarters/

The LEGO designed Ghostbusters HQ will fall short of the original Ideas design I'm afraid.  I also don't think the creator was treated fairly.  

13 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The LEGO designed Ghostbusters HQ will fall short of the original Ideas design I'm afraid.  I also don't think the creator was treated fairly.  

I think the bit about them planning to send him a free set was hysterical/cruel (pure torture) - I am sure that he will really enjoy building it.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

How LEGO handles the whole IDEAS thing is utterly clumsy. Bad communication and interaction with submitters. 

Regarding the creator, I think the issue was communication not fairness. When they acquired the GB license they probably noted down everything in the whole franchise for exploration as future sets. That's why LEGO never ever approves anything they have the license for. But they should make it clear that they work like this. Then nobody would be disappointed.

As for the similarities, LEGO was never shy of using MOC-ers ideas, regardless of them being posted in IDEAS or not. In the recent years they are actively scanning MOC-er sites and instagrams for inspiration and new techniques. The 10212 Imperial Shuttle is almost a 1:1 copy of a MOC...

The only bonus IDEAS provides them is not the MOC-s (they are available everywhere on the net...) but the market research and free marketing. For that the creators should indeed at least receive a 'Thank you' in the instruction and some complimentary sets or credit.

Actually, rewarding everybody they drew inspirations from with something should be a very good practice. 1000$ worth of sets is nothing to LEGO, but every MOC-er would be happy if they got a message that their creation or technique was used as an inspiration so they are awarded 1000$ worth of stuff. For LEGO this is nothing, but would encourage people to post LEGO related stuff on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

But movie screenshots show that the Ecto from the new movie is different from the Ecto-1 so I can't see them using the existing car. Plus can't see the chap who designed the Ideas set being happy with that. 

Fair enough. So let the hoarding begin... euhm... continue.

• Like 1

Is it worth having a couple of firehouses? Or wait for the new sets when the film is out.  I bought 2 so i could resell with an ecto and any profit goes toward the builds.

Im really hoping for a ucs puft. Do you think there will be another HQ?!

• 1 month later...
On 06/03/2016 at 4:37 PM, wobbl87 said:

Is it worth having a couple of firehouses? Or wait for the new sets when the film is out.  I bought 2 so i could resell with an ecto and any profit goes toward the builds.

I don't think there will be another HQ. The Marshmellow man would be an awesome edition to the theme, the one on Lego Ideas is fantastic.

On 6/3/2016 at 5:37 PM, wobbl87 said:

Why tie up capital so soon? It´s only just available outside SAH and will likely be around a couple more years.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
My japanese is a bit rusty, but I believe 1 of the line was psy-cho ghost-o-busta' 

I think it's actually saying:

"saikou" = "the best"

But could be

"sa- ikou" = "ok let's go" but probably not since the phrase before was "sa- ikuyo" which is practically the same thing.

You could be right and maybe it's "psycho" but it's not a term commonly used so I doubt it.

Just saying.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jaisonline said:

The girls singing seemed to be having fun with it throughout the video which was cute and the two breakdancing guys appeared to be somewhat akin to Austin Powers impersonators so that was funny. Also noticed a few scenes I would guess farther in the film showing the present villain (who really is a mash up between an evil version of the ghost that walked during the intro to the original cartoon and the Stay Puft marshmallow man from the first film) rampaging through the city. Arguably a better cover although truthfully it is just the signature theme we grew up by only now sung in Japanese with the use of different (higher pitched & digital) instruments. I may not care much either way for Fall Out Boy's remix but I will admit at least they tried something different instead of just slightly altered.

• 4 weeks later...