5887 - Dino Defense HQ

mahler24

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I made a 100% ROI with this set, but I would keep an eye about some partnership between lego and the JP licence.

The release of a new dino theme would totaly ruin the value of the 5887 IMO.

Rumor is there supposedly an agreement between Hasbro and Universal Pictures where some licensing rights to Jurassic Park were acquired so it is believed that there could be sets from the Kre-o line sometime in the near future. Perhaps if Universal Pictures is not impressed by what designs and ideas Hasbro has to offer, they could try reaching Lego.

I made a 100% ROI with this set, but I would keep an eye about some partnership between lego and the JP licence.

The release of a new dino theme would totaly ruin the value of the 5887 IMO.

I wouldn't worry too much. This set on its own is awesome. And it didn't ruin the value of the Dino themes before it.

This is my favorite non-star wars lego set and in my top 5.

• 6 months later...

I wouldn't worry too much. This set on its own is awesome. And it didn't ruin the value of the Dino themes before it.

This is my favorite non-star wars lego set and in my top 5.

Even if the JP World sets are poorly designed and small, Dino is sorta doomed if history is an indicator. Refreshes get killed 99% of the time especially when a well-known licensed theme replaced a reg Lego one.

Just my opinion.

Note : If I were were buying sets for my son in the future, I would go after the Dino sets to save cash plus they are all awesome.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys I just got a hit on my ebay for Dino Defense HQ for 230$ should I take it?

YES. take the offer and run.  this set hasn't appreciated much lately.  it hit a ceiling after the JP sets were announced).  nice set design though...

I sold mine for $220 w/ postage last last July) and the new JP sets will decrease demand for this. 

• Like 2

YES. take the offer and run.  this set hasn't appreciated much lately.  it hit a ceiling after the JP sets were announced).  nice set design though...

I sold mine for $220 w/ postage last last July) and the new JP sets will decrease demand for this. 

took your advice, thanks Jaison.  now to figure out what to flip the cash into.

Just checked ebay, not sure I would have sold that low. Lowest right now is 290 and the remaining sellers all the way up to 415 are either low feedback, foreign, or <100%. I think you could have gotten another 30-40 out of it. Interesting dilemma for sure.

yeah i was on the fence big time, but I had it listed for 30 days and I didnt get many bites.  it was on its last day also.  He started at 200$ offer and I had it listed for 290$.  my counter was 275$ and then 260$ but he only went up to 230$.  Fear of the new JP sets got me I guess.  I still have 2 more so I guess ill hold those for a while.

I sold this one a month ago for 300 and it was posted for two days.  

yeah I think I posted my right after yours.  I listed it originally for 315$, after selling one for 268$ auction style.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=100&_udhi=&_nkw=lego+5887&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=13

I think $230 plus postage was still a decent deal with the clock ticking. I would say the latter is similar to having a $250-$255 with free postage -type listing,

For those who sold high, wow. Good job. Too bad we didn't pickup more of these.

Side note :

I do think there is an outside chance this set holds onto it's value after some depreciation. Like with the Batcave 7783 set, it depreciated through 2012 and 2013 onky to rebuild in 2014 after everyone and their gandmom's realized 6860 was an inferior set in most aspects.

The 5887 could do the same although JP isn't a direct refresh.

My 5 yr old son is going to love JP once it's introduced to him (I think he's still too young at 5). I'll pickup a couple of used Dino sets including this one.