How the QFLL crushed my Lego dreams

Poly 30286

I had my eye on a stack of SW advent calendars at Kroger that were marked down. I let a week go by to see if they would be marked down again. Someone got them. Either a reseller or regular folks. If I'm going to get mad about it I will be mad at myself for not buying them when I had the chance. Not at others who took advantage of an opportunity.

1 hour ago, legone3 said:

No blaming, Ebelle122, no blaming.

The question to ask yourself is: "What am I going to do about it? What am I going to do next time?"

I don't like the answer to that. I don't have the financial flexibility to BUY IT ALL RIGHT NOW!!!

I miss those casual days of seeing a set I liked and picking it up on sale or clearance. Now they don't have sales or applicable coupons and only Chima survives long enough to go on clearance. Too many investors are taking all the fun out of my favorite toys!

You have a family? Did the person who had a crush on your significant other blame you?

Oddly, yes. The mutual friend whose party we met at unfriended us (in the traditional sense, pre-Facebook) after we started dating, because she was jealous.

You are living in a dog eat dog world. But you are a dog too.

A casual observer would probably describe me as more dumb fool than dog

Edited by ebelle122
tweaking

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Quite the opposite. When I'm logical about the investments I make I do quite well. When I'm emotional and make rash, illogical decisions - that's when I fail.

I was speaking of myself more than generally. I am just too passionate. I am a Lego maniac in the truest sense

6 hours ago, ebelle122 said:

Not a one left in my usual Target. (I will have to check around at others)

I thought about general complaint, but.... I have so much anger towards QFLL's that I might write 100+ posts in this topic all by myself. Should we let the MODs decide?

Or I could write a blog?

How do you know that it was a QFLL who bought them all out?  

7 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

We could be reading in the complaint thread about the Target employee who would only let me buy one Christmas tree polybag...

It's still not worse than my TRU Managers who repeatedly say everything they have is on the floor, even after stock disappears and returns repeatedly.  Yes, it worked, I stopped asking.

47 minutes ago, ebelle122 said:

I don't like the answer to that. I don't have the financial flexibility to BUY IT ALL RIGHT NOW!!!

I will go out on a limb here (not really) and suggest that a high percentage of people on this board don't have the financial flexibility to buy it all right now.  You briefly mentioned your own situation, and I can certainly sympathize with you.

If you're playing in the investment world (or even just hanging around here for good deals to make your money go farther), you have to make choices and be smart about how you use your money.  We don't all get what we want when we want it.  There's a "regret" thread buried around here somewhere - what sets do you regret passing on.  There are tons of stories.  I know I've had chances to buy sets but passed on them because it just wasn't in the budget, and I see 5 or 10 times (or more) on some of these sets and just shake my head.

• Like 1

Always a moral and ethical dilemma when it comes to buying and selling during this time of year. Yes- it's not the nicest thing to do, but there are far worse things too Ike stealing or hurting someone. If it were life saving medication I would not do it. They are vanity items- not necessities. My general rule of thumb is buy what I want, but leave a few for others.

5 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

There are tons of stories.  I know I've had chances to buy sets but passed on them because it just wasn't in the budget, and I see 5 or 10 times (or more) on some of these sets and just shake my head.

I lack the self-discipline to spend what I think is a good price and then put up my blinders. I cannot tell you how much I torture myself over buying too soon for too much, or waiting too long and missing out. I don't usually pay retail price for anything. I hunt bargains like it's my job. I remember buying Harry Potter sets at Target on a b2g1 offer, or Toy Story 3 on 70% off clearance. I need to stop living in the past and learn what the new normal is.

1 hour ago, ebelle122 said:

Oddly, yes. The mutual friend whose party we met at unfriended us (in the traditional sense, pre-Facebook) after we started dating, because she was jealous.

A casual observer would probably describe me as more dumb fool than dog

There you go! You ate that dog but still pretend to be a "dumb fool" :-D

Edited by legone3

At this point, I forget who was looking for the Christmas tree. Barnes and Noble has them for the 3.95 price on their web site. Throw in a few Thanksgiving sets and you will hit free shipping.

They also have "pick up in store". You order a reserve & pick it up & pay there. Easy...

It's not really about the tree per say, although I would like to have one. It seems that in the past couple years, once I decide I want any Lego set, it's unavailable. The tree was the last straw. When even a piddly polybag escapes my grasp, I just want to say forget it. 

I'm the verge of breaking up with Lego until it comes back down to earth

11 minutes ago, legone3 said:

There you go! You ate that dog but still pretend to be a "dumb fool" :-D

She didn't say anything until we had been together for a while. Neither of us knew what her feelings were. Besides, you can't call me a dog for finding the love of my life. I call foul! It's not like we just hooked up for long enough to bust up our friendship.

Sorry - way off topic

But maybe illustrates the difference between long term vs. flipping

26 minutes ago, ebelle122 said:

It's not really about the tree per say, although I would like to have one. It seems that in the past couple years, once I decide I want any Lego set, it's unavailable. The tree was the last straw. When even a piddly polybag escapes my grasp, I just want to say forget it. 

I'm the verge of breaking up with Lego until it comes back down to earth

When I was younger I used to stash stuff I wanted in the luggage section at target. If you have fear of something selling before you can afford to get it, look into a good stash spot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jackson said:

So earn more money so you can buy luxury items immediately at the time you see them.  Blaming flippers for your income woes is absurd.

Agreed. I'm no QFFL by any means. Quite the opposite as I am a buy and hold guy with a few quick flips sprinkled in here and there. That said, I don't fault quick flippers for buying all the stock in one shot. They see an opportunity and they go for it. I've cleared many a shelf of good sets on clearance and put them in storage with no intention of selling them for several years. What's the difference? None. This thread really belongs in the complaint thread and not on it's own. If the OP is looking for sympathy, they are probably on the wrong site. Buying and selling is what we do, short and long term. 

• Like 2