How the QFLL crushed my Lego dreams

Poly 30286

4 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Good point on the TRU exclusive.  I guess you can tell I haven't been stocking up on the Speed Champions.

The guy in the video isn't either, he's just after the parts.  From watching his videos, it seems he parts out large amounts of the same set at one time.  Seems to be a completely different business than the sealed set business.

On 11/21/2015, 4:45:43, Alpinemaps said: Quite the opposite. When I'm logical about the investments I make I do quite well. When I'm emotional and make rash, illogical decisions - that's when I fail.

Similar here. I'm growing my collection / inventory by a fixed amount each month, plus reinvesting sales revenues. I have a short list of specific sets I'm buying currently and the total number I want of each; once I'm stocked up I move to the next one(s) on the list. I've missed out on a couple of deals / steals because of it, but I'd rather stick to a plan and tweak it so it's successful than be impulsive. Time will tell if I'm making good picks, but at least I can have the confidence I'm following a plan that can be improved instead of just chasing what's shiny.

I would also recommend having cash on hand for days like yesterday. You never know when days like that will come, sometimes we only get one or two of those opportunities per year.

What was yesterday ?

10 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

The guy in the video isn't either, he's just after the parts.  From watching his videos, it seems he parts out large amounts of the same set at one time.  Seems to be a completely different business than the sealed set business.

Yes, you are correct.  To be fair, I have seen some of his earlier videos and they were informative and he obviously has a lot of knowledge on making money parting out sets.  This video in particular was not one of his better productions, but I would recommend watching them if you are a person who likes to part out sets to sell on Bricklink.  There is some information of value there.

44 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Watch the other vids of his buys. He's not that thrifty.

He may not be very good at buying Lego but at least he has a grating personallity

sacrilege throwing ferrari licensed sets in the cart like that! i saw an asian woman with a kid in tow do the same thing with them speed champions last truth, she must have seen the video, didnt strike me like she knew what she was doing judging how she acted at the register.

Edited by jerryherb

He does have a very large brick link store (bricks on the dollar) and has been doing this for years. He also works with a group that runs Lego conventions  Philly Brick Fest and other shows in different city’s. They use the polybags as door prizes at the shows, most of the time he is getting the target polybags 50% off the day after the holiday. He is also tied in with a monthly Lego subscription service brickswag.com

Edited by LJD1019

4 minutes ago, LJD1019 said:

He does have a very large brick link store (bricks on the dollar) and has been doing this for years. He also works with a group that runs Lego conventions  Philly Brick Fest and other shows in different city’s. They use the polybags as door prizes at the shows, most of the time he is getting the target polybags 50% off the day after the holiday. He is also tied in with a monthly Lego subscription service brickswag.com

You don't understand the herd.  If the collective isn't all running around doing it, there can't possibly be any reasoning or profit to be made. 

I am more than a little dissapointed that respected members here seem to think that Clutch from BricksOnTheDollar is some kind of fool or full of crap.

He runs a successful mid to large range Bricklink Store, spending on average $2000 a month on lego and has steadily grown his store over the last few years into a small warehouse.

He has many subscribers and has put out way over 100 videos alone where anyone can ask questions about Bricklink and how to's etc etc

He is a very well respected You Tuber and has helped alot of people come out of their Dark Ages and enjoy Lego and start to make a bit of extra cash buying and selling.

Keep negative personal opinions of someones personality off this forum, let those thousands who watch his videos enjoy them for what they are . If you dont like him switch off!!!

• Like 2

Whatever it is, little Jimmy ain't gettin' none and soccer mommy will kick him in the face.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

You don't understand the herd.  If the collective isn't all running around doing it, there can't possibly be any reasoning or profit to be made. 

From what is written on these forums, I have imagined many members doing this exact thing in TRU.  LOL.  In his defense, his other videos are better than this one.  The video itself is also another way to make money, so props to him.  

38 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

He may not be very good at buying Lego but at least he has a grating personallity

Looking back at his video uploads, he also has the uncanny ability to grow and shorten his hair at will. i wish I could give myself a haircut and switch to rock n roll a day later. It beats having to have a mullet.

28 minutes ago, Numanoid said:

Keep negative personal opinions of someones personality off this forum, let those thousands who watch his videos enjoy them for what they are . If you dont like him switch off!!!

When you put your personality out there on YouTube for all to see, you lose the ability to control who says what about you and your antics. Besides, most people were mocking his "swooshing" of sets into a cart and not him directly... He shows no class when he does that and that will irk many people in or out of these forums.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Numanoid said:

I am more than a little dissapointed that respected members here seem to think that Clutch from BricksOnTheDollar is some kind of fool or full of crap.

He runs a successful mid to large range Bricklink Store, spending on average $2000 a month on lego and has steadily grown his store over the last few years into a small warehouse.

He has many subscribers and has put out way over 100 videos alone where anyone can ask questions about Bricklink and how to's etc etc

He is a very well respected You Tuber and has helped alot of people come out of their Dark Ages and enjoy Lego and start to make a bit of extra cash buying and selling.

While I agree with most of what you stated, when a person posts a video of themselves, they are open season to all sorts of comments, both good and bad, personal and non-personal.  This video in particular was one of his weaker productions and really showed nothing of value in my opinion, other than some person clearing the shelves of two TRUs.  I guess we are the fools, discussing this subpar video for the past 3 pages, so good for him.  Any publicity is good publicity.    

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gregpj said:

When you put your personality out there on YouTube for all to see, you lose the ability to control who says what about you and your antics. Besides, most people were mocking his "swooshing" of sets into a cart and not him directly... He shows no class when he does that and that will irk many people in or out of these forums.

Yup,  proof that having money and spending it doesn´t buy class.

• Like 1

Is this Bricks on the dollar trying to defend himself incognito? Just kidding (sort of). I did watch a few of the videos though I'm not sure why. I found it somewhat funny when they threw the bags of polys in the back of the car and they went everywhere. I have admiration for part outers. You gotta be pretty sharp, meticulous, and patient to make a living doing that.