LEGO REVIEW: Star Wars C-3PO Polybag #5002948

As a countdown to the Force Awakens, I will be writing at least one Star Wars review each week.

This polybag was available for free with a $40 qualifying LEGO Star Wars purchase from Toys R Us. Some stores allowed buyers to purchase some for $3.99, but not every store did, and not even the same quantities.

EDIT: Toys R Us appears to have shipped more of these to some stores and increased the price to $5.99.

REVIEW: SET DETAILS
Set #: 5002948
Name: C-3PO
Theme: Star Wars
Parts: 3
Price: $3.99

Before we get to the build, let’s talk value. At $3.99 the price per piece works out to $1.33 each. However, it's ridiculous to do the 3P math on a single minifigure, because you're rarely going to part one of these out.

BAG CONTENTS

3 pieces are in the bag, a head, a torso and leg assembly.

THE BUILD AND EXECUTION

If you have built one minifigure, you have built them all. I got exactly the build that I expected and there were no extra parts. He came with no accessories.

REACTION

I didn't go overboard taking pictures. In fact, I only took comparison pictures. I really like the looks of this figure. He's got a lot of detailing, and the coloring is really nice. He definitely pops in comparison to the older C-3PO that I had on hand. I guess the detailing is the same as the Sandcrawler version, but I don't happen to have one. This one hit on all cylinders (ha, robot jokes) and really made me happy to add him. Not only is the torso better detailed, but the arm and leg detailing are exciting. Plus, they painted his eyes! My only criticism is that the packaging implies a chromed figure, but oh well.

DSCN9143.JPG.3bf6045e71ce0b301cbf8cd1638DSCN9139.JPG.76dde12b1f664e4af8c0514b5e7

FINAL THOUGHTS

This polybag will be a nice to have piece in the coming months/years. The fact that TLG decided to put a character like C-3PO into a polybag is puzzling. The implication is that either Threepio will not be in any Force Awakens sets, or it will not be this version of him. Without having seen the film, I think that he has a very minor role, so could easily be shuffled off to a polybag, where kids who don't know better, won't miss him, but longtime fans will be demanding it later.

I doubt that TLG will release a TFA C-3PO with different Deco. So, if they do issue him in a boxed set, that will suddenly call all polybagged figures into question. How long until they reissue Darth Revan if they do?

Speaking of Darth Revan, this figure will never equal that one in value. It will be a nice little earner, unless it gets picked up for a LEGO Shop at home promotion, then it will tank.

View full blog article

One fellow on e-bay will sell you 100 of these for $550 shipping included, not bad. It's an attractive poly bag and could be a good investment if mixed with something else. So dig him out, if you want that many.

are there any cheaper out there???

I would just be a tad worried as an investment since this 3PO should be in 1+ TFA sets in 2016.

44 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I would just be a tad worried as an investment since this 3PO should be in 1+ TFA sets in 2016.

It should be different in some way, if he does appear. How often does a minifigure from a polybag appear in the exact same way in a mass market set? Sure, stuff like robin, joker, Iron Man appeared in a set as well as a poly, but they were building sets. I also have doubts if he will appear in a set because it seems like PZ-4CO is supposed to fulfill the same role.

• 2 months later...

What are peoples thoughts on the future investment potential of this?  I doubt it would get reprinted simply because C-3PO makes a comment in the movie about getting his arm fixed which leads me to believe that he wont have the red arm in Episode 8.  This could end up being a very unique mini in the coming years.  It was also a retail exclusive to Toys R Us I believe.

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

What are peoples thoughts on the future investment potential of this?  I doubt it would get reprinted simply because C-3PO makes a comment in the movie about getting his arm fixed which leads me to believe that he wont have the red arm in Episode 8.  This could end up being a very unique mini in the coming years.  It was also a retail exclusive to Toys R Us I believe.

Thoughts?

At the end of Episode VII, If I remember the scene correctly C3po didn't have a red arm when they were saying goodbye to Rey. Which leads me to think this minifig will be a one time deal. He Still hasn't been released in any EP 7 sets which helps its potential greatly.

Toys R Us threw a bunch of these up on their website and sent them to stores to sell for $5.99. I have to wonder how many were made.

I really doubt that it's going to ever be seen again though. I don't know if there's going to be a huge demand in future due to his limited appearance in this version. It will make an excellent add on for any future Resistance troop Transporter sets or a resistance Command Center if they ever make one.