75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

It doesn't exist or was never made public. 

Take a look at the previous page of this topic. I posted some pics from the 75159 manual. 

The most disappointing part of this whole thing. :(  I was really looking forward to watching the designers awkwardly explain their improvements a la the Winter Toy Shop designer video

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

welcome to BP and it's cool to approve your 1st post.

with regards to the 75159 "hate", it's because many AFOLs and investors who purchased 10188 or didn't because of the announcement of its replace, are very disappointed.  75159 offers very little difference to 10188 (what's in the box-wise) to justify the price increase.  even the manual and stickers are pretty much the same.

while i agree 75159 is a great set to own for folks who never picked up 10188 and the only TLG process, design, etc... advancements since 2008 that have been implemented are really just with the minifig updates.  however, many of the included "key" minifigs can be obtained in far cheaper sets. 

Thank you :) 

Picking up the minifigs would probably be about the same as the price difference. The Tarkin, Vader, Leia, Droids and Han and Luke hairpieces are probably the most desired. Pretty sure Tarkin alone sells for about $40.

1 hour ago, KShine said:

This re-release and LEGO's virtual lie/knowing deception about the retirement of the 10188 has had an impact on all higher valued LEGO sets.

It is an impact which might be permanent.

I suppose they could have been more transparent but it is not the first time a toy company has used this sort of tactic. I think the higher priced sets tend to have lower price increases on the secondary market. The Millennium Falcon is an anomaly. The 10188 was never going to reach those levels, especially after 8 years.

1 hour ago, gbg108 said:

I hate this set because it represents uninspired creativity which is pretty much the exact opposite of why I enjoy LEGO.

Technically buying any set with instructions and all of the required pieces to build a model is uninspired creativity. Unless you hate every LEGO set and build all of your own models from scratch of course.

45 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

The quote by one of the 75159 designers sums what you typed. 

He found the most challenging design aspect to be redesigning Vader's TIE for the larger minifig helmet. 

Can't argue that :lol They shouldn't have tried to swing it like this was a new design. They should have talked about how the 10188 was a great build and how they wanted to update it for many years to come for a new generation of fans and leave it at that.

Personally I wasn't upset about this but I also didn't have a garage full of 10188 hoping for a big payday. I only had one. Sold it for more than I paid for it originally and had enough money to pretty much pay for all of the 75159. Gave me a reason to rebuild it after all these years and have better minifigs. 

I realize LEGO could have went about it differently but it is what it is. I just don't see the point in being angry about it. Especially to the point where people were giving it 1 star reviews on shop at home. Collectors come to forums like this to get reviews and more info, but a lot of people who are casual collectors or parents read those reviews at the LEGO site and just want to know about the product, not the politics. I'd hate to think someone would pass this set over for their kid not realizing the set is really good and deserves to be 5 stars. Regardless of how you feel, the set is super fun.

1 minute ago, Harley Quinn said:

Technically buying any set with instructions and all of the required pieces to build a model is uninspired creativity. Unless you hate every LEGO set and build all of your own models from scratch of course.

I don't agree. By that standard buying a painting and hanging it on your wall is uninspired creativity because you didn't paint it. But in both cases the point is to appreciate the creativity and talents of others, not yourself. 

I think a better comparison would be if your favorite band released a fantastic album. You listened to it over and over loving every minute. Then you heard they're releasing a follow up album the next year! You wait patiently with building excitement counting down the days until release day when -- you find out the "new" album is actually just a remastered version of the previous album. Just because you didn't write the songs doesn't mean you can't be disappointed when the band you've grown to love prioritizes money over creativity.

5 hours ago, jaisonline said:

with regards to the 75159 "hate", it's because many AFOLs and investors who purchased 10188 or didn't because of the announcement of its replace, are very disappointed.  75159 offers very little difference to 10188 (what's in the box-wise) to justify the price increase.  even the manual and stickers are pretty much the same.

It will be on "sale" for $399.99 the day it hits amazon, walmart and target. Only LEGO Shop at Home and TRU will be charging $499.99 (well TRU will probably be $549.99 lol).

TLG has added 20% to their RRPs so retailers can sell at 20% off on day one to try and move product. Alot of retailers are also removing buy limits so you can buy as many as you want with one click at real RRP (aka as 20% off sale).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, asharerin said:

It will be on "sale" for $399.99 the day it hits amazon, walmart and target. Only LEGO Shop at Home and TRU will be charging $499.99 (well TRU will probably be $549.99 lol).

TLG has added 20% to their RRPs so retailers can sell at 20% off on day one to try and move product. Alot of retailers are also removing buy limits so you can buy as many as you want with one click at real RRP (aka as 20% off sale).

Been on Amazon for few days now at 499.9 ;) 

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-75159/dp/B01KOQ9AAK/

Target

http://www.target.com/p/lego-star-wars-death-75159/-/A-51295932

It will be interesting to see where the price ends up sitting and if it stays there or just drops for short periods.  The discounts appeared to be mostly on exclusives that were retiring soon, not any of the newer ones ie GBHQ or the Batcave.

1 minute ago, c_rpg said:

Now available at http://www.toysrus.de/product/index.jsp?productId=84221721 as well. Nothing exclusive about this set anymore. I'm surprised Disney Castle hasn't been made available yet.

I might actually get one at the next 20% off sale. That would bring it down to approximately 10188's RRP :P

Go wash your mouth (and fingers) with alot of soap.

On 1/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

Been on Amazon for few days now at 499.9 ;) 

ditto for target since Jan 1 or 2.  at current prices, target is the store to order from since the 5% red card covers most of tax unless you have reward points from amazon, tru, etc...  i do know target has been mailing them in their lego shipping boxes.  btw, the lego shipping box changed slightly.  same size as the 10188 one but it opens from the long side now like most boxes.

I picked this up for my son for his birthday last month. I only paid $175....... as did my parents and my in laws, we split the cost three ways. We have yet to open it up, maybe this weekend we'll put it together. I was going to do a timelapse of the build, but that's probably going to draw the build out a heck of a lot longer than I'm willing to wait. Maybe we'll break it down and rebuild it at a later date.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, Harley Quinn said:

I realize LEGO could have went about it differently but it is what it is. I just don't see the point in being angry about it. Especially to the point where people were giving it 1 star reviews on shop at home. Collectors come to forums like this to get reviews and more info, but a lot of people who are casual collectors or parents read those reviews at the LEGO site and just want to know about the product, not the politics. I'd hate to think someone would pass this set over for their kid not realizing the set is really good and deserves to be 5 stars. Regardless of how you feel, the set is super fun.

But that's the point of leaving one-star ratings.  Discourage buyers so Lego EOL's the set early and I can sell my stack of 10188's.  Also, it's a completely legitimate point to say, "Hey Lego, you wasted a valuable Star Wars UCS slot on a nearly identical rerelease nine months after retiring its predecessor.  As a collector and (perhaps) reseller, I am seriously annoyed and my $499 will be spent on a quality toy, like Mega Bloks."  Especially when last year's other "UCS" set was Hoth.  I say, sink 'em both with one-star reviews and get 'em out of the way, so resellers can dump their 10188's and collectors can buy an actual UCS set.  Everybody wins.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife and her siblings have decided to go in on purchasing a 75159 Death Star for their Dad for Christmas.  I'm collecting the cash and will then make a purchase.  Curious how I could best make use of this purchase opportunity.  We're splitting it 5 ways (one of the five is my wife and I combined) and to keep it easy I'm simply collecting $100 each ($400 from the others, $100 from my wife and I).

Currently, my best option seems to be getting it on Target.com with my Red Card for 5% off.  Lego SaH is full price but then I'd get VIP points (though since I'm only collecting $100 each I'd almost be paying extra money to get points...).

Any other suggestions on timing or retailer that could maximize the opportunity?

image.png.06426c8d725f0b2f85355681ebd0273d.png

8 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

My wife and her siblings have decided to go in on purchasing a 75159 Death Star for their Dad for Christmas.  I'm collecting the cash and will then make a purchase.  Curious how I could best make use of this purchase opportunity.  We're splitting it 5 ways (one of the five is my wife and I combined) and to keep it easy I'm simply collecting $100 each ($400 from the others, $100 from my wife and I).

Currently, my best option seems to be getting it on Target.com with my Red Card for 5% off.  Lego SaH is full price but then I'd get VIP points (though since I'm only collecting $100 each I'd almost be paying extra money to get points...).

Any other suggestions on timing or retailer that could maximize the opportunity?

image.png.06426c8d725f0b2f85355681ebd0273d.png

Buy it on eBay during a 10% eBay Bucks, or one of the 15% off coupon days. These drop new for $450 or less with free shipping regularly.  There are actually 2 up right now at $419.99 with free shipping. No taxes either generally as long as you're not in the same state as the seller.

image.png.1471e99bcc7313259b0bac07cd89d0bf.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

Buy it on eBay during a 10% eBay Bucks, or one of the 15% off coupon days. These drop new for $450 or less with free shipping regularly.  There are actually 2 up right now at $419.99 with free shipping. No taxes either generally as long as you're not in the same state as the seller.

image.png.1471e99bcc7313259b0bac07cd89d0bf.png

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate that.  I generally don't buy gifts on eBay in case someone wanted to return it but we're 5 months to the day until Christmas.  That's outside the 30-day return period at most retailers anyways... At least with retailers if there's an issue I can more easily return it and get a different one.  Not sure that convenience is worth $80 (15% of RRP).  I'll ensure it's a reputable seller and go this route, thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

So this is available again at LEGO Shop at home at retail price but It's on retiring lists. Only time will tell if it will go on some kind of sale before it's gone, or Hang around awhile still or if it will be remade a third time. But it IS likely to be more expensive if you want it and have to buy from reseller. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/death-star-75159