75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 8 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 5:37 PM, Ed Mack said:

I really hope it is a KICK @$$ set.  Really...I want HUUUUUUGGGGEEE!!!!  HUGE!  $500....$600...$700.  Make it a 6000 piece set that rotates and has working LEDs and a laser that burns through metal.  

You really don't want kids to have access to planet-destroying weaponry, or even just neighborhood-destroying weaponry.  At most, sibling-destroying weaponry would be appropriate.

As for the new DS, the only thing we really have going for us is Lego price inflation.  People love to talk about the new Sandcrawler, but seldom point out that it's more than 2 x the MSRP of the old one.  $140 vs. $300.  And $140 bought you 1600 pieces, while $300 buys you 3000.  They're also much smaller pieces, as you can see demonstrated in any number of youtube videos that place the two models side by side.

A straight rerelease of 10188 would be at least MSRP $500.  Just think 2 x EV, more or less.  If it's really bigger and better, which I think is absurd, it will be at least $600.  So the worst case for resellers is they have to unload 10188 for $400 - $500 and most will do little better than break even.  That's certainly not great, but it's not 'Oh well, I guess I'll just burn my DS stack for firewood' territory either.

The best case is that it's an overpriced (meaning in line with current SW pricing) MSRP $300 or below set, or just flat out ugly like the last Jabba Barge, which looked awful compared with the original.  Or the last big battle droid transport thingy compared with the first one.  Lego could screw up the new DS design, maybe load it up with stickers and make half the minifigs different variants of Jar-Jar.

My conclusion is don't stock up on 10188 at MSRP or anything close to it.  Since I already did that a year ago, I'm going to wait and see what the new DS looks like.  I don't really need my cash back out of these just yet, and I'd rather not sell at today's prices.  But it would be insane to load up on 10188 in the face of a guaranteed at least semi-replacement in nine months.

Like Ed said earlier, if it's really a Death Star and not a Starkiller Base, I hope it's a mix of both 10188 and 10143 and that it's half an half so that you can play with the playable side and display the shell side that is recognizable to everybody.  I've wanted to Mod our 10188 to do just that but it's tucked away at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Just hopping on this thread, haven't bothered to read everything yet so sorry if this has already been said - looking at the next wave of 2016 battle packs - looks like there will be several Ep. VI themed sets in an "Empire" line...so perhaps this will be the flagship of that series, which would make sense given the 75xxx designation. My guess is this is a largish playset that can be paired with the duel re-release, but won't be on the same scale as 10188.

Edited by stoltzjl77

Hi all. I am new to Brickpicker... And am a returning Lego fanatic since my childhood.

recently got into the Star Wars Lego (big sets) big time and, in the last month have acquired and loved putting together the UCS Tie-fighter, sand crawler, slave I, star destroyer, millennium falcon, at-at, at-dp, prototype tie-fighter and have kept the ewok village boxed in the hopes the value increases...

Can't wait for a new Death Star, especially if it is display and not a play set... Can someone please advise on how Lego announce new sets and what to check to know when new sets are going to be released?

thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Marchew84 said:

Hi all. I am new to Brickpicker... And am a returning Lego fanatic since my childhood.

recently got into the Star Wars Lego (big sets) big time and, in the last month have acquired and loved putting together the UCS Tie-fighter, sand crawler, slave I, star destroyer, millennium falcon, at-at, at-dp, prototype tie-fighter and have kept the ewok village boxed in the hopes the value increases...

Can't wait for a new Death Star, especially if it is display and not a play set... Can someone please advise on how Lego announce new sets and what to check to know when new sets are going to be released?

thanks in advance!

I think officially speaking, there's no way to know until the set is available unless the website announces it ahead of time or if it just shows up at LEGO Shop at Home. Otherwise we tend to get rumors here and whatever box images end up circulating. Sometimes we also find out the names of the sets ahead of time through the rumor mill, but have no pictures. This was the case with the pirates theme last year. Basically just watch the forums I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

http://brickset.com/article/19221/ny-toy-fair-press-release

LEGO Star Wars™ adds 25 new sets in 2016 to the best-selling building collection. Sets are inspired by classic Star Wars films, the all new animated television series LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures and the animated television show Star Wars Rebels, as well as the 2015 blockbuster Star Wars: The Force Awakens, plus scenes from the highly anticipated Star Wars: Rogue One film, ranging in price from $9.99 to $149.99. Continuing for the second year is a line of buildable figures for ages 6+ featuring iconic Star Wars characters, including Rey, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma, providing a different kind of building experience and new play possibilities. Sets range from $19.99 to $34.99.

Anybody want a $149.99 death star from Rogue One? Yep, me neither.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bricki123 said:

Hey guys, my unterstanding of this information is, that the new UCS Death Star is not based on rogue one. It could based on OT or Force Awakens Star Killer Base (rather unlikely). IMHO not good news for 10188. Quite likely 75159 = 10188 but better ;)

If they make something better than 10188, it will be $699.99.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, gregpj said:

http://brickset.com/article/19221/ny-toy-fair-press-release

Anybody want a $149.99 death star from Rogue One? Yep, me neither.

You guys know the drill with Lego.  I'm sure those sets they are referring too are just the regular release sets.  I'll eat my own words if the $150 set is a new Death Star.  My guess is, because we already know the UCS Hoth set is coming out in May, we won't hear any information about the death star until later this year.  It most likely will be the late summer/early winter UCS.

35 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

You guys know the drill with Lego.  I'm sure those sets they are referring too are just the regular release sets.  I'll eat my own words if the $150 set is a new Death Star.  My guess is, because we already know the UCS Hoth set is coming out in May, we won't hear any information about the death star until later this year.  It most likely will be the late summer/early winter UCS.

There is obviously no way to know how much is omitted from these press releases, but I just thought it was interesting that the Rogue One sets had a defined range. $150 for an X-Wing is too much (unless it's a combo set like the new tie advanced + a-wing set)  so what could the $150 set be?

And if it really is 26 new sets, seems there are plenty missing from the list.

After seeing the job TLG has done with 75098 I am not hopeful 75159 will be anything other than 10188 with updated figs and a few new building pieces. Not a big loss as 10188 is not exactly setting the world on fire in terms of performance but the company sure is taking a turn for the worse in terms of creativity.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, asharerin said:

After seeing the job TLG has done with 75098 I am not hopeful 75159 will be anything other than 10188 with updated figs and a few new building pieces. Not a big loss as 10188 is not exactly setting the world on fire in terms of performance but the company sure is taking a turn for the worse in terms of creativity.

I think they are more creative than ever. There is always a demand for certain types of sets and they are satisfying it with quality builds. If people want a 10188-like DS, then they will get one. Same with play set falcons. 

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2