LEGO Death Star 10188 Finally Retires But Here Comes a New One (75159)

Jeff Mack

So the past few days have been exciting since LEGO finally slapped a "Retiring Soon" label on the list for the 10188 Death Star.  Everyone should jump for joy and start yelling for the money to come rolling in right?  Maybe, but it might be short lived or will it.  According to the new database entry at Brickset, there is a new Death Star coming and it is listing as an Ultimate Collector Series model.

lego75159_listing.jpg.8e6f3aef1fb0e933b8

So is this a totally new model, or another version of the old?  Is it really "The Death Star" or "The Starkiller"? The new Starkiller base as it is referred to in Episode VII is described by the official Star Wars site as "An ice planet converted into a stronghold of the First Order and armed with a fiercely destructive new weapon capable of destroying entire star systems."  Obviously this will be much different than what we have known for the last 40 years.  Will this set be more of a model like the #10143 Death Star II, or a play set like the #10188 Death Star.  Is this set going to be about the new movie or yet another rehash of the old. There are no details on piece count, minifigures or release date.

Before you get all upset and get the feeling to dump all your 10188 Death Stars, you will have to wait and see what this model actually is.  I would be surprised as anything to see them do another version of the original and honestly that would be pretty dumb if you ask me.  If it is the new Starkiller version, it will be vastly different than the prior two models which to me will not effect the value of them and possibly even drive the values upwards.

I am really excited to see what it might be. Regardless if it is a new version or old, I am hoping for a 5,000+ piece set!!!

View full blog article

• Like 3

Some people here are scared. But for a reason. The new MF is not so different from the 7965. Only the figures have aged. 

However, 7965 seems to have recovered from the initial fall back. So damage is minor.

The new Death Star is an UCS. So I expect a big one. Maybe in the 350 euro or dollar range like GBHQ. Maybe even more.

I guess we just have to wait and see. Maybe the new movie will reveal some clues? We will find out next week!

I personally doubt it's Starkiller Base. If it is, then two thirds of the build will be nothing but a white sphere. The weapon is localized on one side of the planet. This would be a very boring build even if they had a bunch of minifigs with it. I expect a larger and more in depth playset style version of the current Death Star set. 

Fro a business perspective, if I am LEGO executive, I would prefer to launch a death star set similar to either of the first 2, instead of 10188 type of playset. Reason is simple, if I do a rehash of 10188, then it will be a slow seller and the price is capped, since I am competing with all other resellers of 10188.

If LEGO does a set very different from that of 10188, it can price it higher and sell more. I don't see any reason to be jittery over the investment potential of 10188.

• Like 1

Lets hope Lego screws this up.  If they remake 10188 my big Lego investing days will come to an end.  This will else mark the beginning of the end for Lego.  They will diminish the value of the brand in the secondary market due to their greed.  It will take a while, but once ingenuity is lost they will diminish.

I'm guessing it will be a HUGE display type death star, and not a playset.  It would have tons of microships around it, including micro sized super star destroyers, rebel medical frigates, squadrons of x-wings and tie-fighters.  If it opens, it would maybe have the final duel scene but with micro figures, like the helicarrier.  It will be at least twice the circumference of the current 10188.

I think it's set in stone that this is the giant flagship set for Rogue 1.  Considering that entire movie is based on the Death Star, I think there is a very big chance that this is the premiere set that will be available on Force Friday next september when they release the initial bunch of figures and sets for the movie.   If next weeks film is as good as I suspect, then I suspect star wars mania will be in hyperdrive over next year (yes, I'm now even convinced that the original death star is setting at the optimal time - right when a large % of people on the planet are going to be into star wars thanks to a new wave of movies).  So, I think there will be a nice spike.  This movie hysteria has created a demand for Star Wars products.  

Traditionally, most of the sets that are retiring at the moment would not be nearly as high right out of the gates if it wasn't for this demand.  That's why we've already seen 195.00 At-At's, 60.00 jedi interceptors, and 185.00 for ISD's only a week after they became scarce.  If this was 2013 or last year, that would not have happened like that.  So, I suspect, if people play their cards right they could make some money on their death stars.  Just hope that the new one is based on Rogue One, and not some minor update of the old one.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, snot said:

I'm guessing it will be a HUGE display type death star, and not a playset.  It would have tons of microships around it, including micro sized super star destroyers, rebel medical frigates, squadrons of x-wings and tie-fighters.  If it opens, it would maybe have the final duel scene but with micro figures, like the helicarrier.  It will be at least twice the circumference of the current 10188.

Interesting idea.  Here's what they deployed at Legoland California earlier this year, that's similar to what you describe:

DeathStar.jpg

There are also micro scenes like this:

Lego-Star-Wars-Movie-Scenes-at-Legoland-

16573585740_08c6cd78ca.jpg

There is also a trench run diorama:

legoland-576x768.jpg

• Like 7

How about a combination of both the 10188 and 10143? Make a large "half" sphere, mounted on the typical UCS base and plaque that rotates 180 degrees. From one side or exterior side , you can see a completed Death Star in its New Hope condition. Rotate it around, you can see some inner rooms and sections that could make small diorama play areas. It would be like slicing an apple open. One side is the core and inner flesh and the other side would be the red/green skin. This would satisfy most people and make it highly displayable and playable at the same time. You could even make the base rotate with power functions and have two separate UCS plaques that describe each corresponding side. Just an idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, conceptmachine said:

I agree, it won't be the same as the current model.  It's been outdated and a slower seller than what they would like.  It'll be a $350 set with less piece count than current.

I disagree. I am thinking $499 and larger than 10188. This is Disney's flagship and I guarantee they will require "bigger and better" than 10188. I also don't believe it is based on Rogue One. The new Death Star will be around for 4-6 years (possibly longer). IMO OT can carry it for that long. In 2022 will Rogue One be relevant? I know OT sure will be. I am assuming 75195 is an updated 10188. Not exactly the same but the iconic scenes will still be there (trash compactor, batlle with emporer etc) and plenty of the same figs with updated printing as well as a few new ones. Just my thoughts. I have a hard time thinking Disney is going to go smaller/cheaper than 10188 and I have a hard time believing such a huge investment is going to be a set based on one spinoff movie. 

• Like 3

I guarantee Rogue One will be more than relevant.  In fact, it will blow away the OT stories, more than likely.  Seeing Darth Vader at his prime, using today's computer generated technology.. . And why would they not push marketing and merchandise for the new films over rehashing older ones?  

This is completely for Rogue One, or it's some hybrid between the two.  

Edited by fossilrock

I am a huge Ben Mendelsohn fan but let's be honest OT is the heart of the whole shebang and where the money is at. Good debate. Time will tell. I have my fair share of DS but not so much that I cannot move it all quickly and my buy in was good enough to generate a good profit even in a race to the bottom. Also have enough to enjoy any upside should the new model depart from OT. TLG never likes to make things easy lol.

1 hour ago, asharerin said:

I disagree. I am thinking $499 and larger than 10188. This is Disney's flagship and I guarantee they will require "bigger and better" than 10188. I also don't believe it is based on Rogue One. The new Death Star will be around for 4-6 years (possibly longer). IMO OT can carry it for that long. In 2022 will Rogue One be relevant? I know OT sure will be. I am assuming 75195 is an updated 10188. Not exactly the same but the iconic scenes will still be there (trash compactor, batlle with emporer etc) and plenty of the same figs with updated printing as well as a few new ones. Just my thoughts. I have a hard time thinking Disney is going to go smaller/cheaper than 10188 and I have a hard time believing such a huge investment is going to be a set based on one spinoff movie. 

Yes, I really don't think LEGO will cheese out on this set.  I hope it is dynamic.