LEGO Death Star 10188 Finally Retires But Here Comes a New One (75159)

Jeff Mack

8 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

How about a combination of both the 10188 and 10143? Make a large "half" sphere, mounted on the typical UCS base and plaque that rotates 180 degrees. From one side or exterior side , you can see a completed Death Star in its New Hope condition. Rotate it around, you can see some inner rooms and sections that could make small diorama play areas. It would be like slicing an apple open. One side is the core and inner flesh and the other side would be the red/green skin. This would satisfy most people and make it highly displayable and playable at the same time. You could even make the base rotate with power functions and have two separate UCS plaques that describe each corresponding side. Just an idea.

I've been thinking about this.  That could work really well.  Another idea would be to "hinge" it, so it closes up to look like the DS, but opens up into playsets inside.  This would give display and play value.

Another idea I had would be somewhat like the Winter Village Market - a series of disconnected, small playsets.  It could include a small, brick built DS on a stand, and then have a trash compactor, small scale hanger (with MF), etc. (that wouldn't be minifigure size, though).  My biggest problem with this is we've had other playsets over the last year or two - including the current Throne Room, Death Star Gunners, etc.  So I don't think that would necessarily be it.

I think the new one will be bigger and more detailed. The outside will look like 10143. But the inside will be more or less like 10188. Just smaller scale and they will be using the microfigures and micro spacecrafts (MF, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, etc.) like they did with the Helicarrier. 

Edited by Ciglione

16 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I think the new one will be bigger and more detailed. The outside will look like 10143. But the inside will be more or less like 10188. Just smaller scale and they will be using the microfigures and micro spacecrafts (MF, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, etc.) like they did with the Helicarrier. 

I hope not.  I wouldn't spend 400, let alone 300 on something like that.  I'm no fan of those micro figures.

• Like 3

The 10188 was really not that attractive IMO.  It was an iconic set and value, but it really is not that easy on the eyes.  It was a LEGO STAR WARS dollhouse and did an excellent job at that.  I hope the new one is more adult oriented.  It might be, because this one is a UCS while the 10188 was not.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The 10188 was really not that attractive IMO.  It was an iconic set and value, but it really is not that easy on the eyes.  It was a LEGO STAR WARS dollhouse and did an excellent job at that.  I hope the new one is more adult oriented.  It might be, because this one is a UCS while the 10188 was not.

Does it really make sense to speak of UCS label after 75059? They can remake 10188 and slap it on it with clear conscience.

7 hours ago, asharerin said:

I disagree. I am thinking $499 and larger than 10188. This is Disney's flagship and I guarantee they will require "bigger and better" than 10188. I also don't believe it is based on Rogue One. The new Death Star will be around for 4-6 years (possibly longer). IMO OT can carry it for that long. In 2022 will Rogue One be relevant? I know OT sure will be. I am assuming 75195 is an updated 10188. Not exactly the same but the iconic scenes will still be there (trash compactor, batlle with emporer etc) and plenty of the same figs with updated printing as well as a few new ones. Just my thoughts. I have a hard time thinking Disney is going to go smaller/cheaper than 10188 and I have a hard time believing such a huge investment is going to be a set based on one spinoff movie. 

IIRC, a number of the "odd year" movies that Disney is planning will deal with periods of time when/where the Death Star was being built or active....So to that, The Rogue One movie should enter the timeline seamlessly....so to the overall story, it will be very relevant going foreward.  It's not like it's a throw-away movie about a Kessel Run or something like that.

I was at the Lego store in Chicago today and asked about the current DS being retired soon. The guy said that they will get only one more shipment of it and it will retire in 4-8 weeks and that his colleague mentioned a new UCS one, similar to the old one, will come out in spring 2016. I didn't buy the 10188 as it's too much of a playing set. I am very excited for the new one!

I don't mind the dollhouse... if it is hidden. Like alot of you have stated, I would really really like them to make an adult oriented UCS version on the outside with some kind of mecanism to open it up and expose a scene or two from the new movie, with a bunch of minifigs.

Not too sure I really like the idea of MINI mini-figs though since they would need dust-mite sized mini figs to fit with scale, so they might as well leave the full scale mini figs. :)