Air Miles Canada - Q&A, Coupons, Bonus Miles Alerts

tacsniper

17 hours ago, lobo1969 said:

No doubt, the vouchers were cumbersome to use at either the register or online but they were basically like a gift card.

They should just go to airmiles cash just like so many other stores accept.

They aren't that bad, they only needed to press a couple of register key strokes (maybe 3) & enter the last 5 digits, seemed easy enough to me... it takes longer for the person in line to get the angle of their card right trying to put the chip-end in & push upwards... Why TRU uses such a poorly designed card reader mount is beyond me!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thumper said:

Why TRU uses such a poorly designed card reader mount is beyond me!

Totally off topic but I 100% agree that the inconsistencies in the mounts is annoying. I do believe everyone is just trying to get angles that make it hard for people to sneak at your PIN but all retailers mount them in different places so it's irrelevant. The ones that really get me are the ones with the metal bars that hold the bottom and make it hard to find the slot itself.... I don't know how many times your eyes deceive you and you miss and end up jamming your card into nothing!!

If the rewards were hard to use, the solution isn't to disband the program but perhaps enhance the vouchers so they can be simply scanned at the register like any old UPC code.... My guess is the program cost more than it was worth. Air Miles have changed a lot over the years (likely in response to rising travel costs) but any other options must keep pace.

4 hours ago, gregpj said:

If the rewards were hard to use, the solution isn't to disband the program but perhaps enhance the vouchers so they can be simply scanned at the register like any old UPC code.... My guess is the program cost more than it was worth. Air Miles have changed a lot over the years (likely in response to rising travel costs) but any other options must keep pace.

Why there wasn't just a simple barcode or something is beyond me. I'll echo what others have said (and that i have said in the past) in that the airmiles vouchers were cumbersome to the employee and most didn't know what to do with it or how to process it.

Using them during the holiday rush was like a death sentence. So many ugly stares from behind :(

10 hours ago, lobo1969 said:

Well I was finally 'permitted' to cash in $100 more in TRU vouchers on airmiles.ca

Now to see if I can still spend the vouchers....

I was able to spend them yesterday, so you should be safe!

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2016 at 9:24 AM, Thumper said:

They aren't that bad, they only needed to press a couple of register key strokes (maybe 3) & enter the last 5 digits, seemed easy enough to me... it takes longer for the person in line to get the angle of their card right trying to put the chip-end in & push upwards... Why TRU uses such a poorly designed card reader mount is beyond me!

I only can order e-vouchers in $10 denominations as of the last week or so. Anybody able to currently get $20 e-vouchers? I suspect it may change per personal accounts...

• 2 weeks later...

So any word on this? Im very curious because i have a way off collecting a few good air miles but only really want to use them for TrU vouchers. From what i have read you cqn no longer redeem in store and in fact they are not excepting them anymore.. yet i see on the air miles website you can still buy the vouchers.

6 hours ago, Substored said:

So any word on this? Im very curious because i have a way off collecting a few good air miles but only really want to use them for TrU vouchers. From what i have read you cqn no longer redeem in store and in fact they are not excepting them anymore.. yet i see on the air miles website you can still buy the vouchers.

Can still buy them online and redeem online np (from my experience). I have not tried to redeem them in store. However as Lobo said above; he has problems with ordering the $20 voucher, whereas i do not. So not sure what exactly is going on.

17 hours ago, Substored said:

The vouchers still work online no problem and are still issued off the airmiles site. The only change TRU went through it seems was to cancel airmiles collecting on purchases all together. But it wasn't very lucrative to collect airmiles from TRU purchases as it got worse and worse over the last 2 years to try and make it worth your while. Most people get the bulk of their airmiles from groceries and gas lately.;)

10 hours ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

Can still buy them online and redeem online np (from my experience). I have not tried to redeem them in store. However as Lobo said above; he has problems with ordering the $20 voucher, whereas i do not. So not sure what exactly is going on.

I just checked and I'm still stuck at only ordering $10 vouchers. Some day I may try to phone about it but I believe its a way to control my account from getting too many vouchers at once. I redeem $1000s in vouchers in a year...

On 3/7/2016 at 3:20 PM, lobo1969 said:

I just checked and I'm still stuck at only ordering $10 vouchers. Some day I may try to phone about it but I believe its a way to control my account from getting too many vouchers at once. I redeem $1000s in vouchers in a year...

Nice. was just thinking of getting the amex card for airmiles which gives a nice bonus 2000 miles for signing up and using the card. Just want to think where to put the miles either in cash for lego or dreams for flights. If i know Lego and TrU will continue even with the $10 voucher im in. PS i also only see $10 available on the air miles site.

8 hours ago, Substored said:

Nice. was just thinking of getting the amex card for airmiles which gives a nice bonus 2000 miles for signing up and using the card. Just want to think where to put the miles either in cash for lego or dreams for flights. If i know Lego and TrU will continue even with the $10 voucher im in. PS i also only see $10 available on the air miles site.

Looks like the $20 option is gone for me now too, was available a couple weeks ago, ah well.

3 hours ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

Looks like the $20 option is gone for me now too, was available a couple weeks ago, ah well.

Then TRUs is just looking to widdle this offer down to nothing eventually. If I can only spend $50 airmiles per online transaction then I guess I'll be focusing on sets in the $100 range for now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Odd, just the $10 option is available for me... probably depends on the amount of points you're carrying at the moment.

Hmm, that is odd... I don't have enough for the $20 right now, so that would be pretty cruel of them to not allow me to pick up the $10!

1 hour ago, Sandwraith said:

Not sure if this is the same for everyone, but the option for the $20 voucher is back for me, but the $10 option gone hah.

Hmmm, I've gone most of the last 12 months with only the $10 voucher available to me. Sometimes I check and the buy voucher button for TRUs is greyed out all together! But today it was $20 option only.... so I grabbed $100 worth before airmiles gets wise again.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, lobo1969 said:

Was able to the grab $500 worth of $20 TRUs e-vouchers today!

So if anyone was waiting to get some don't wait long. Who knows when the option will be greyed out again.

cool, it hasn't worked for awhile,  Guess I get to stop at the toy store on the way home this evening! :-)

(both $10 and $20 options were working just fine)

Thanks abunch!

Edited by Thumper

• 2 weeks later...

Air Miles sucks... we've set our preferences to 100% cash and are looking at alternate credit cards. (any suggestions welcome)

I didn't realize you couldn't transfer any existing miles from "dream" to "cash." That really stinks because their online store is awful.... Maybe I should buy a couple laptops (we have 20k miles) and sell them. :)

After two years of being unable to get flights for the trips we've planned, we're done.

I'm strictly airmiles cash from now on. I had about 3400 in dream miles but I just used almost all those on a new 25" LCD monitor for the PC. Even if the TRUs vouchers go away completely, (I have a feeling they will someday) airmiles cash can still pay for my years worth of liquor!

Edited by lobo1969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Air Miles sucks... we've set our preferences to 100% cash and are looking at alternate credit cards. (any suggestions welcome)

I didn't realize you couldn't transfer any existing miles from "dream" to "cash." That really stinks because their online store is awful.... Maybe I should buy a couple laptops (we have 20k miles) and sell them. :)

After two years of being unable to get flights for the trips we've planned, we're done.

I don't use cards that don't offer cash and everyone's spending pattern is different than mine, but for me; the MBNA world elite card is the best overall card.

• 10 months later...
On 8/2/2017 at 3:58 PM, lobo1969 said:

So did e-vouchers for Toys R Us go away?? 

Dang, don't see em anymore, maybe they will pop back up at some point, but if they truly are gone that's probably it for me for collecting airmiles... I've just been increasing frustrated with it and have stopped collecting in many stores. Guess it might be time to hunt for a new credit card :P

12 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

Dang, don't see em anymore, maybe they will pop back up at some point, but if they truly are gone that's probably it for me for collecting airmiles... I've just been increasing frustrated with it and have stopped collecting in many stores. Guess it might be time to hunt for a new credit card :P

We switched to a Westjet Mastercard a while back. Tired of the direction that Air Miles was going (cash vs travel) and their flight options were absolute garbage or totally non-existent for where we've traveled over last few years. 

• Like 1