Angry Birds 2016

Alpinemaps

• 1 month later...

This could be a 5 year plus hold, possibly 10, when Angry Birds becomes an "old fad turned new". Kind of like the latest Pokémon Go catapulted that again. Angry birds will be around but the target audience for it (and these) seems to be kids under 10. If these disappear soon that seems like a fairly limited run for Lego. Not sure I'll be buying any unless 50% off.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw the Angry Birds movie last weekend. Had a few genuine laughs, and the CGI animation is top notch, but overall it's not a movie I'd wish to watch again. It's not Pixar after all...

My kids (10 and 7) enjoyed the movie well enough, but they didn't love it and they won't be asking for the related Lego sets. I agree with @Emvisawthatswho that I'd only buy any of these sets if I could get them at 50% off or better. Deep clearance FTW ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/9/2016 at 11:04 PM, Brian Briggs said:

It looks like Toys'R'Us Germany is desperately trying to get rid of this theme with huge permanent markdowns:

• Piggy Car Escape: RRP-33%
  • Piggy Plane Attack: RRP-40%
  • Bird Island Egg Heist: RRP-38%
  • Pig City Teardown: RRP-30%
  • Piggy Pirate Ship: RRP-36%
  • King Pigs Castle: RRP-28%

Do we a have a post-retirement winner here? :spiteful:

I´m seeing them on clearance too. Shops are either emptying their aisles before Xmas or they got word it´s done too. I fully expect them to be in the US BF/CM death row promo list.

Once again, if it isn´t at least 50% off, it´s a high risk.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I´m seeing them on clearance too. Shops are either emptying their aisles before Xmas or they got word it´s done too. I fully expect them to be in the US BF/CM death row promo list.

Once again, if it isn´t at least 50% off, it´s a high risk.

I agree.  I think these will be selling for at least 30% off retail for a long time, and so even at 50%, once you account for fees the margins would be slim.  They'll probably also take a long time to sell.  I just don't see interest in this line at all.  They don't seem to do anything but collect dust at the local stores.

Guest TabbyBoy

I think Angry Birds is just a passing fad and will soon be forgotten if it hasn't been already. LEGO were dragging their feet as these sets should've been released years ago when the game was at its peak. It's now well past its best and a lot are now bored of it, including me so, I won't by buying these turkeys birds ;-)

That reminds me, here's my current list of turkeys and why:

Exo Suit - Everybody's turkey!

Friends - Too many sets, often discounted and resale prices on several retired sets still lagging way behind RRP (Pet Salon?)

CITY - Any large non-airport set not at -40%, any vehicle not at -60% and any small sub-£10 set

Super Heroes - All sets as too many remakes and too much competition but, I may bite at -75%

Technic - Dire performance of past large sets (Unimog?) and rarely at -50% or less

Angry Birds - As stated above

Star Wars - Any set that is not Original Trilogy apart from the new Millennium Falcon & X-Wings at -40% or less ( A UCS BB8 could be an exception)

Simpsons - Now a dreadful show that's nowhere near as good as the early seasons and I wasn't really a fan even then

The Big Bang Theory - Perhaps the most cringeworthy piece of crap sitcom to ever appear on TV? (I only have one as part of my full -1 CUSSOO IDEAS collection)

Ninjago - No comment

Chima - Offensive language not alllowed on thisi forum ;-)

That leaves thousands of other worthwhile sets that I'm proud to say that I own and that I'm still buying.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, Val-E said:

All in for Nexo Knights then!

There's always one smartarse theme that I didn't allow for ;-)

To be honest, there's probably a lot more. If only I bought 10221 SSDs and nothing else! Boring but, lots of easy £££££s and virtually risk free in those days.

To keep on subject, my girlfriend has become an Angry Bird after seeing all the Asda/Tesco boxes going into the loft while I'm sorting out the lock-up.

Edited by TabbyBoy

9 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

There's always one smartarse theme that I didn't allow for ;-)

To be honest, there's probably a lot more. If only I bought 10221 SSDs and nothing else! Boring but, lots of easy £££££s and virtually risk free in those days.

To keep on subject, my girlfriend has become an Angry Bird after seeing all the Asda/Tesco boxes going into the loft while I'm sorting out the lock-up.

i think blackballing entire themes is not the way to go (except for Superheroes). Chima Lion Temples if bought at the right price and sold at the right time would have netted a much better profit than many exclusives or even what Dr Who will get. Same going forward for Porsche 42056.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Mhd747 said:

Black Friday special 50% off all angry birds sets.

I was kind of hoping the piggy ship would do well, guess I was wrong,you win some you lose some.

This theme does look like it will be one of the worst performing once retired. 

source? and is that at SAH?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...