Happy Holidays

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Guest ph4tb0i
8 hours ago, rfish said:

Once again I shiver with disbelief at how unhesitatingly pictures of children are being posted in a public forum. Folks, this is 2015, about time to become aware of the fact that children have rights of personality, too. And even if they dont mind pictures of them being posted now, they might well do so later in their lives. At least their parents should know better than that.

I had the EXACT same talk with my wife about this topic about what to do about this when we have kids. It's one of those things where I would try my hardest not to put any of their pictures or details about their lives up when they're at the age where they're helpless about it. I hate to think how a lot of kids will feel when they realize they've been exploited by their parents when they were young. 

Edited by ph4tb0i

Guest ph4tb0i

I would say this is more akin to nailing a picture of your daughter in front of a lego store... 

But whatever, getting off topic here. Congrats on the new addition to the family! :)

Edited by ph4tb0i

9 hours ago, rfish said:

Once again I shiver with disbelief at how unhesitatingly pictures of children are being posted in a public forum. Folks, this is 2015, about time to become aware of the fact that children have rights of personality, too. And even if they dont mind pictures of them being posted now, they might well do so later in their lives. At least their parents should know better than that.

Well, do you have kids?  If not then be quiet.  Can't stand people w/o kids giving parenting advice.  If you do have kids then how do you handle taking them out into a public place? Do you shroud them?  What about a school event where everyone has a camera? 

46 minutes ago, ph4tb0i said:

I had the EXACT same talk with my wife about this topic about what to do about this when we have kids. It's one of those things where I would try my hardest not to put any of their pictures or details about their lives up when they're at the age where they're helpless about it. I hate to think how a lot of kids will feel when they realize they've been exploited by their parents when they were young. 

Based on your comments in another thread I would focus on getting along with your wife first before having kids.  You think it's stressful now wait until you have kids and money is tight around the holidays.  You can't just run off to the office to balance your check book.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rfish said:

I appreciate the concern, I really do.  I don't post pics of my other children on public forums because they're cute as hell and I don't want some sicko  adding them to his/her wishlist.  But she's 40 min old in this pic.  If, later in life, she feels that her rights were violated or that she was somehow exploited, I will have failed as a parent because she would be an idiot.   And you're right, in this day and age, I can, with a few hours of 'work', find just about anything about anyone that posts anywhere on the Internet.  I've been hired by people to do just that.  So your sentiment and advice is sound, if not misdirected in this case. 

Also, sorry to derail the thread, but I just wanted to let  you all know that even if you received a 10179, I still had the best Christmas gift this year.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I appreciate the concern, I really do.  I don't post pics of my other children on public forums because they're cute as hell and I don't want some sicko  adding them to his/her wishlist.  But she's 40 min old in this pic.  If, later in life, she feels that her rights were violated or that she was somehow exploited, I will have failed as a parent because she would be an idiot.   And you're right, in this day and age, I can, with a few hours of 'work', find just about anything about anyone that posts anywhere on the Internet.  I've been hired by people to do just that.  So your sentiment and advice is sound, if not misdirected in this case. 

Also, sorry to derail the thread, but I just wanted to let  you all know that even if you received a 10179, I still had the best Christmas gift this year.

I hope you named her Noelle (sounds like the french word for Christmas :) ).

On 26.12.2015 at 5:15 PM, Mathew said:

Well, do you have kids?  If not then be quiet.  Can't stand people w/o kids giving parenting advice.  If you do have kids then how do you handle taking them out into a public place? Do you shroud them?  What about a school event where everyone has a camera? 

First of all: no comment, secondly: Just because you personally can't stand people without kids giving parenting advice, does not make that advice wrong. Maybe you should in fact sometimes rather listen to them...

Taking kids into a public place is a completey other topic than posting pictures of them on the internet. So, what does the one have to do with the other? And OTHER people posting pictures of OTHER kids on the internet is also another topic. My comment was solely related to people THEMSELVES posting pictures of their OWN kids on the internet, which I think is always wrong. Nothing else.

Edited by rfish

What?

Waaaaay off topic - I can't see this picture resurfacing in 20 years with the caption( child of Longhamel in 2015). I do agree that there are too many pictures of kids - especially Facebook. In this case- a nameless newborn who lives somewhere, and newborns usually do not really resemble the kid later on- where is the harm in posting a pic and bragging about your first kid. It's not traceable, not like we can find out who or where the kid lives. Definitely not appropriate comment. At the very least you could have privately messaged him with a word of caution.

Also- I have a problem with non parents giving parents advice. It's like when pet owners compare their pet to someone's kid.

Ok off the soapbox-back to your regularly scheduled programming- and byw.... Congrats to Longhammel on his first kid. It's an exciting chapter of a persons life!