FedEx smartpost delivered but not received

c4dreams

I know this has likely been covered before, but I couldn't find anything in the forums.

i shipped a Jokers Funhouse (6857) via FedEx Smartpost.  The item shows as delivered in tracking.. the buyer never received it.  She went to the post office and they said they delivered it to the wrong house.  The house is vacant and the package was gone.  The post office told her to ask me if I had insurance, which I did not. 

what are my options from here?

SmartPost covers up to $100, doesn't it?

What marketplace is this for? On eBay, if you have delivery confirmation, you're protected regardless. Amazon not so much.

If you've spoken to the post office yourself and confirmed all this, it's up to you whether or not to take some steps to make it right. If you haven't confirmed the story, that's step one.

18 minutes ago, c4dreams said:

it's eBay. Smartpost comes with confirmation. I figured I am covered, but I'm concerned about receiving negative feedback.

if I call the post office and they confirm the story, what could I do?

I had a package show delivered (USPS) and the buyer claimed they did not get it. They left me negative feedback and then opened a case (item not received). I provided tracking in the resolution center and then the buyer escalated the claim. 5 minutes later (probably automated), eBay sided with me and removed the negative feedback automatically.

• Like 1

it's eBay. Smartpost comes with confirmation. I figured I am covered, but I'm concerned about receiving negative feedback.

if I call the post office and they confirm the story, what could I do?

I had a package show delivered (USPS) and the buyer claimed they did not get it. They left me negative feedback and then opened a case (item not received). I provided tracking in the resolution center and then the buyer escalated the claim. 5 minutes later (probably automated), eBay sided with me and removed the negative feedback automatically.

I've had this same outcome every time a buyer has claimed they did not receive their package. It is unfortunate for the buyer but if you have online viewable delivery confirmation (the FedEx Smartpost tracking number) showing the package was delivered to the buyer's address, eBay will side with you. If the leave any negative feedback, eBay will remove it.

could be delivered to a neighbor, for some reason UPS and USPS mix my neighborhood up, makes a great way to get to know each other but who would have thought that a houses address was in a sequential and close number to the other houses on the street.

The buyer can have theft or a lousy roommate.  Lots of circumstances.  It is not the sellers fault, Id feel bad too.  I had one buyer note : "request insurance and damage coverage because I live in a bad area and a lot of packages get stolen"    I replied that I recommended he buy from a closer seller as I could not guarantee a package being mint being so many states away and I cant guarantee theft from a porch.  He bought it anyways but at least it was documented in our emails.  

I bought some stuff from China a few years back, about 10 items in an order, but several items were missing, the seller wanted to know the weight of the bag to see and sure enough it was lighter than the items I bought.  Ebay changed my missing items not received claim to Not As Described and to get a refund Id have to return them, WTF ebay?  I never got them to begin with.  So there's a whole other side to Ebays handing of things.  I DO wish there was at least a neutral feedback for buyers though, give a seller something to see if a buyer is dishonest in his dealings.

1 hour ago, c4dreams said:

I'm glad to hear that I am covered, but I feel bad that basically I am telling the buyer, "sorry, it shows delivered, so you are out of luck..."

I can sympathize with your dilemma: I had the same thing happen years ago thru my work selling vinyl records on eBay.   The buyer and I agreed that I would refund the buyer the amount minus what I originally paid for the item.  In the end we both were out something but felt like the right thing to do at the time and having just started the ebay store for my work I was very concerned about maintaining 100% feedback.  She ended up purchasing something from me again several months later and then became a regular customer of mine so things worked out well for both of us in the long run.  Each case is different of course - in this case it was a $35 record, had it been more expensive I am not sure what I would have done.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...