Is the Recent Discount with LEGO 21301 for the Birds?

jaisonline

Good news for Lego Ideas completionists and set 21301 fans, the Birds set is being heavily discounted by Lego store and shop at home web sites.  The latest US-based sale seems to be working as shop at home is now sold-out and inventory is drying up at their physical mall stores.  This is also a good sign this set is near retirement.

image.thumb.jpeg.f33a0762ac992ffa4a3bd3f

I like this set's investment potential compared to most sets since Birds doesn't seem to be heavily hoarded by resellers and the production run seems limited like others in the Ideals theme.  While 21301 is not a flashy set, it's a fun build and looks great displayed.  The newly discounted price of $35.98 is also an attractive deal for a high quality set such as this.  

1B0D3745-EAC5-474B-84E0-A99F6A7695CF.thu

My recommendation is two thumbs up for both investors and builders.  It also doesn't hurt that past retired CUUSOO / Ideas set have at least doubled in value from retail price.  There is also the possibility that future similar sets are released that have a new set of birds or small creatures that would make it a "series," thus more valuable and collectible.  We can only hope...

View full blog article

These were clearanced just days ago at TRU Canada for %33 off i believe. Picked up a couple. If anything they will make great gifts down the line for a wide range of people.

TRU Canada also recently clearanced the Tumbler and we know where that's heading.. so yeah just some more evidence supporting the Birds approaching retirement.

• Like 1

The birds might look nice, but one of the problems with this set is that there are currently so many other, possibly better alternatives out there, both to build and invest...

Also, and not only related to this post: isn't it kind of counter-productive to write a forum/blog post about what you think is a "sleeper" set - on a investor web site? Reminds me of one of those giant interstate ads that reads "This state's best kept secret: XYZ". Sure...

While alot of "collectors" will have at least 1 or 2 of this set, most of the sets that will be purchased after the fact will be for youth or young adults to play with and display.  The child age range isn't going to be focused on a Birds set as their first choice. The second thing to consider is the number of these produced.  It's all speculation how many sets are being produced for these "short term" idea production runs.  We saw what happened with research institute and the mechanized suit, they sold out so LEGO produced another 100,000 of them.

I saw them for RRP @ TRU before Christmas, and I was hanging around the lego section for a while, and was surprised to see 2 different sets of people commented how nice birds was. Then they walked away @ RRP. So did I.

I wish I could pick up a couple at the discounted price, but I never caught it in stock. I've even got VIP money to burn :(

The birds might look nice, but one of the problems with this set is that there are currently so many other, possibly better alternatives out there, both to build and invest...

Also, and not only related to this post: isn't it kind of counter-productive to write a forum/blog post about what you think is a "sleeper" set - on a investor web site? Reminds me of one of those giant interstate ads that reads "This state's best kept secret: XYZ". Sure...

This is a brief news blog that also contains my investment opinion. It was never referred to as a sleeper. This set is probably what you are stated, "possibly better alternatives out there, both to build and invest". Additionally, most folks will prob miss the boat on this set at this price. It's hard to buy sets in bulk with the time remaining.