10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, that was in 2008. The UCS Falcon came out in 2007. Are you confusing this with the Town Plan, which actually was marketed as a '50th Anniversary Set' (released in 2008)? There's nothing '50th Anniversary' about the UCS Falcon. Not sure where you've gotten that impression...

Well, that was in 2008. The UCS Falcon came out in 2007. Are you confusing this with the Town Plan, which actually was marketed as a '50th Anniversary Set' (released in 2008)? There's nothing '50th Anniversary' about the UCS Falcon. Not sure where you've gotten that impression...

That's what I thought too. I did a search on the 50th MF and all I could find was Ed's quote. As far as the 50th Ann. Town Plan - the new Town Hall & Cinema sets have started to hurt that sets value.

Where do you guys keep getting '50th Anniversary UCS Millennium Falcon First Edition' from? It's the 30th Anniversary Edition, as are all 2007 sets...

Sorry, you are correct...MY BAD...30th Anniversary of STAR WARS. 50th Anniversary of LEGO was in 2008.

My point is still the same. The 10179 will still be valuable in the future. Anybody who feels different is free to sell me their MISB Falcon now for a fair price before the market crashes. I pay quickly!

Personally I think this is a great idea. As an owner of just about all the UCS series, the values may go down. But i am a collector and builder first and investor second. I bought the 7191 when it was in stores back in 2000 and it was the set that brought me out of my Dark Ages. I have a friend who was also brough out of his dark ages by the latest R2D2 UCS. I can only imagine how many adult lego fans are going to ****** this up as their first Lego set purchased in decades. The actual model looks mighty fine to me. A worthwhile update. I just wish they didnt completely ditch the "Ultimate Collector Series" designation as it is obviously part of that series but don't mention it on the box or sticker.

Sorry, you are correct...MY BAD...30th Anniversary of STAR WARS. 50th Anniversary of LEGO was in 2008.

My point is still the same. The 10179 will still be valuable in the future. Anybody who feels different is free to sell me their MISB Falcon now for a fair price before the market crashes. I pay quickly!

I agree 10179 will be valuable, but if a second issue is released it will go down in value considerably. I think a lot of people still paying the high price for the set today just want to build the thing. And most of those folks would opt for a current release instead. Your pool of potential buyers would shrink down to just a few completist collectors. And a flood of original units would hit eBay hoping to cash in on old pricing.

This is terrible news for investors because it sets a precedent that at any time Lego may re-release any UCS set and crater the market for one that's been previously released. If this continues to happen we may see an artificial cap on how high prices can climb as collectors will never want to sink too much money into a set. The thinking will be why shell out 3k+ for a Millennium Falcon when if you wait long enough Lego will eventually release another one. I'll be watching this set very closely to see its effect on the market. The good news is that if you pile in on this iteration of the X-wing, especially at a discount of 20% or more, you will probably see a nice return when it goes EOL though not necessarily a 300%+ return.

:) Not sure how it looks chubby, but it looks decent to me, plus it has that little wheel to make the wings open and close!

I think this is a pretty nice set to own, but having R2D2 in there, but no pilot seems a bit weird to me...

Definately should have a pilot, maybe a 4+ figure... JUST KIDDING!!!!

This is terrible news for investors because it sets a precedent that at any time Lego may re-release any UCS set and crater the market for one that's been previously released. If this continues to happen we may see an artificial cap on how high prices can climb as collectors will never want to sink too much money into a set. The thinking will be why shell out 3k+ for a Millennium Falcon when if you wait long enough Lego will eventually release another one. I'll be watching this set very closely to see its effect on the market. The good news is that if you pile in on this iteration of the X-wing, especially at a discount of 20% or more, you will probably see a nice return when it goes EOL though not necessarily a 300%+ return.

For Lego, I don't see why they wouldn't keep releasing new UCS as long as it makes the company money and gives the next generation a chance to own a fantastic set. There may be another UCS with the upcoming sequels. Who knows, maybe there would even be an actual Star Wars 50th anniversary collection series

For Lego, I don't see why they wouldn't keep releasing new UCS as long as it makes the company money and gives the next generation a chance to own a fantastic set. There may be another UCS with the upcoming sequels. Who knows, maybe there would even be an actual Star Wars 50th anniversary collection series

The 50th anniversary for lego was in 2008.

The 50th anniversary for Star Wars will be in 2027

Maybe I missed something but the article on the home page mentions a 1500+ piece x-wing coming out in May for $200. Is this accurate? If it is, it would be bittersweet I think. I would be cool with it selfishly because I do not have a large scale x-wing and will pay 200 no problem. But for investors holding UCS x-wings will this decrease the demand for you? The more I research lego sets the more "remakes" I see. Most are better/cooler but it sort of shrinks the market for demand of the original sets. Collectors of course will want originals perhaps but that is a smaller market than the number of people who just want an x-wing or slave 1, regardless of version. Just curious on thoughts, I am not pontificating as if this were fact. -Chad

Maybe I missed something but the article on the home page mentions a 1500+ piece x-wing coming out in May for $200. Is this accurate? If it is, it would be bittersweet I think. I would be cool with it selfishly because I do not have a large scale x-wing and will pay 200 no problem. But for investors holding UCS x-wings will this decrease the demand for you? The more I research lego sets the more "remakes" I see. Most are better/cooler but it sort of shrinks the market for demand of the original sets. Collectors of course will want originals perhaps but that is a smaller market than the number of people who just want an x-wing or slave 1, regardless of version. Just curious on thoughts, I am not pontificating as if this were fact.

-Chad

There will always be value for an 10 year old+ MISB UCS set. I think people confuse the market reacting to remakes and their effect on older sets. I think many older sets have just plateaued and the new sets have nothing to do with values. There is only so much a person is going to pay for a 1000 piece LEGO set, regardless of current sets.

This will definitely hurt things for those holding onto their original UCS X-Wings, there is just no way around that, for one thing, many collectors and AFOL's will like the new version more than the old and they will readily talk themselves out of getting the original for the new one. The very serious collectors who have original X-Wings may not WANT two UCS X-Wings on display and try to sell off their used originals and grab a new one getting an upgrade and making a profit. I still think that those who have factory sealed X-Wings are going to come out OK, but it won't be the gold mine it once was.

Of course a new MF won't be as expensive, it will be more widely available (and speculated upon). But other than hardcore, rich collectors, who is going to shell out $2000+ for the original when I can buy basically the same thing for probably a quarter of the price?

Concur,

It will devalue the original UCS MF, same as the 10240 will devalue the 7191, even for hardcore collectors.

I have been in the market for a 1st edition UCS MF, but now, I won't bother paying $2K upwards, as I believe it will only be a matter of time before they remake it.

I agree with both of you. Outside of serious collectors the majority of people will opt out of the older verison simply due to price. Lego has shown in the past that they do not care about the secondary market, and if their is a demand for a product, (Darth Maul) they will rerelease it for their own profit.

A future MF would be smart for Lego to do simply because of the demand, and lower costs in developing the set. Disney did not get a cut of the royalties the Anniversary Edition, and with a large price tag Disney surely would love the money off of a high ticket seller, and with a 40th Anniversary around the corner, the 10th Anniversary of the original UCS MF, and with all of the buzz over the new trilogy and spin-offs the timing is right! Unlike the GG, the MF is a pop culture icon, why would Disney not push for a MF update and why would Lego not want to make easy money off of a set that is one of the highest in demand?

The price one currently pays for a MF could go to a vacation, or a used car/down payment on a new one and is pretty out of reach for the average joe.