10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, I was really surprised Lego decided to do another UCS X-Wing (whether it's called UCS or not). I wouldn't think there would be enough justification to do another one with so many other ships yet to be UCS-ified, but I assume Lego does market research with these kinds of decisons. Well... I say that, but Lego also brought us the UCS Obi-wan Starfighter and the UCS Grievous sets, which were unceremoniously clearanced out from Lego.com after a rather short stay. We'll see how this one fares, but I plan to purchase zero.

• 2 weeks later...

On one side, I love that they decided to release another UCS X Wing as I just recently started collecting. But on the other hand, it makes me think that in the end it may hurt some of the value of the original sets and pretty much destroys the Ultimate Collector's Edition meaning. As tempted as I am to get one as soon as possible for my own collection, I think I will wait for a nice discount on this set.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope no one is still holding on to the old UCS X-Wing, because the new UCS Red 5 X-Wing is about to hit the stores. It has just been posted on Lego's website, and it will be coming May 4th. It is set 10240.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how the new one compares to the old one? I know no one has their hands on it yet, but there's a video on Lego's shop at home site of the designer showing off all the features and talking about it. If you do have a UCS X-Wing set still, it might be good to get it sold on ebay before all these new ones flood the market.

(I bet this means the Death Star is just going to stay longer... my guess is they have both the Death Star and X-Wing available during the rollout of the next movie, since there will be a lot of revived interest).

I don't have the original so can't comment on that side of it, but I am excited to get my own version of this. I do expect it to bring the prices of the others down. I'm interested to see what our RRP is here and whether the rumoured May the Fourth minifig is indeed another Han Solo. But seriously, couldn't they have found a way to spruce R2 up a bit so we don't get stuck with multilpes copies of him???

Out of interest,

Of those who have voted that remaking UCS sets will be a good thing, Can you explain why you think that?

I should have posed the question differently,

Is re-making UCS's a good thing or a bad thing for investing (or other?)

Yeah, I think it's a good thing overall provided there is a big gap between remakes. The gap here is 13 years. That is plenty of time for most sets to have reached their full potential and for investors to have sold. Then when a remake comes out, it is another chance for old investors to replenish stock, a chance for new investors to get some, a chance for a new generation of kids to get and play with the set, and for Lego to make money. So I see it as a win-win all around, provided, again, that updates are a decade to a decade and a half apart.

How many of you out there still have stockpiles of the original UCS X-Wing? How many of you sold them by now and don't have any more? I'm guessing most of you fall in the latter camp, so this gives you a chance for round 2 about five years from now (provided, of course, this isn't a death star).

PS - To those worried about everything being remade... yes, there's a chance Lego might surprise people and remake that Millenium Falcon sooner rather than later, although I still lean towards ten years given they have another MF out now. But even if they remake it, the odds are that most of the sets won't be remade, at least not for a VERY long time. Can anyone imagine them remaking the Imperial Shuttle anytime soon, if ever? Or the Tie Interceptor, when we don't even have a Tie Fighter yet? Or the B-Wing, when the A-Wing, and Slave-1 haven't been given the treatment yet? Plus there are better AT-ATs, Sandcrawlers, etc to make, plus new movie ships coming out, so I'm not scared at all about everything getting remade before I've had plenty of chances to cash out. I'll be ready and happy to reinvest in the remakes when they do finally come 10 years later.

I wish they would do Architecture style sets of, well, anything Star Wars.

Jedi Temple, Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace, Cloud City...

According to brickset, they did do cloud city.... although I'm not sure everything on this list should really count as a UCS. I think they were all featured in the 10 year UCS promotional poster though, which may be where these come from.

I don't have the original so can't comment on that side of it, but I am excited to get my own version of this. I do expect it to bring the prices of the others down. I'm interested to see what our RRP is here and whether the rumoured May the Fourth minifig is indeed another Han Solo.

But seriously, couldn't they have found a way to spruce R2 up a bit so we don't get stuck with multilpes copies of him???

A chrome R2-D2 would have been nice. I still don't understand the lack of a pilot either...

Mods, you can merge this with the other thread if you want. I didn't find it until later (it was way down on page 2).

I'm moving this to the thread that talks about this topic extensively.......we ask that people please take a brief look through the forums and see if the topic has already been discussed. In don't think anyone has an issue with people bumping threads as long as you have something legitimate to contribute to it. I know there are tons of topics to scan but the search engine is a very useful tool.

A chrome R2-D2 would have been nice. I still don't understand the lack of a pilot either...

I'm going to take a different view from you on this matter if you don't mind. As a huge fan and anal collector of the UCS STAR WARS theme, I want every UCS set. I need every UCS set. I think this thought process applies to many investors out there. There are many newer collector's that want every retired UCS set and will pay top dollar for them. I don't think this new set will have much if any impact on prices of the 7191. Just my 3 cents.

The new X-wing will be popular IMO. Plenty of Star Wars fans out there that will grab this one just because it looks cool and others like Ed here, will want one because they need to have it. I forsee it a very bright future and depending on it's availability it could become a very good investment. As for remakes I agree that it won't hurt the older sets. By now no one has a pile of old sets waiting to sell them and the re-release is a chance for all us new investors/collectors to grab an iconic set we wouldn't been able to otherwise. Personally I would love to see a new Star Destroyer - a bit sturdier than the old version :)

It already has had an impact.

I can't speak for the last 17 days, but up until March 1, there has been no impact on prices.

At this point there has mostly been a notable increase in listings for the set & a number of lower than should be expected final prices. The big increase in listings shows that there are a lot more people looking to get rid of the set now, before the new one comes out. Sometimes it will overshoot to the downside & create a great buying opportunity (like the original Batman sets), other times the impact can last (if the new one is a superior quality set).

It already has had an impact.

I can't speak for the last 17 days, but up until March 1, there has been no impact on prices.

At this point there has mostly been a notable increase in listings for the set & a number of lower than should be expected final prices. The big increase in listings shows that there are a lot more people looking to get rid of the set now, before the new one comes out. Sometimes it will overshoot to the downside & create a great buying opportunity (like the original Batman sets), other times the impact can last (if the new one is a superior quality set).

I did not look at Bricklink listings, but there has been very little activity in the sale of 7191s on EBAY, definitely no increase(maybe even a decrease from 3 months ago). Since March 1st on the EBAY completed listings, one NIB was sold and the box was beat up from what it looks. There have been a couple of others that were incomplete or used or questionable. Nothing to make any kind of real predictions off of.

As for prices, they have actually increased over the last month to six months:

New Used

1 Month 2.60% 0.50%

6 Months 1.13% 17.05%

1 Year 9.17% 2.99%

Retail 410.81% 136.24%

As for current listings, there isn't really much. So far, I have to agree with Ed.

It is a little disappointing that they are coming out with another UCS X-Wing. It has the feel that Lego has run out of UCS ideas and are starting to recycle old models. While I understand that they may have improved the design it just feels too soon and that there are other sets that could have been made first before restarting the rotation.

It is a little disappointing that they are coming out with another UCS X-Wing. It has the feel that Lego has run out of UCS ideas and are starting to recycle old models. While I understand that they may have improved the design it just feels too soon and that there are other sets that could have been made first before restarting the rotation.

I would argue that waiting more than a decade isn't necessarily too soon. Frankly I think the set looks great and will hopefully buy it on sale (no way I'm buying for $200,). Also I don't think they have run out of ideas but merely producing a set that has almost a 100% guarantee to attract a broad customer base and gain profits. TLG even eluded to this fact in an article I read somewhere. But I completely agree there are still so many options to be made.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, just how many X-Wings do we need? Just the same the new UCS looks great and I will be buying when it hits the market. Looking for a deal, though, as MSRP is a bit dear for what it is. As I only have one 7191, and I hadn't bought it as an investment, when I get the new one as an investment, I'll just have to wait longer for any return. This does have me a little worried about my UCS MF as I did buy extras as investments with the COA.

• 2 weeks later...