75150 - Vader's TIE Advanced vs. A-wing Starfighter

HandyHand

Yeah..this is gonna get interesting.  Out of stock at most online retailers as well except for Amazon with a limit of 2 (edit spoke to soon) toys r us as well.  The backorders and retiring soon tag in other countries give me the fuzzies.

Edited by LegoBro

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Wonder how the new A wing will affect this? I know there are differences in design and minifigs but can´t be good.

If people wanted the old style a-wing, 75003 was already easily available at £40 so will the new one really have that much effect? Will it scream to 1.5 to 2 x rrp within a year. Probably not but bought at 50% off I think it will do ok.

3 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

If people wanted the old style a-wing, 75003 was already easily available at £40 so will the new one really have that much effect? Will it scream to 1.5 to 2 x rrp within a year. Probably not but bought at 50% off I think it will do ok.

Perhaps people didn´t want this set for the same reason and because there was another Tie available. I am assuming the retirement after 6 months is due to poor sales, not some rare and expensive parts or marketing strategy.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:11 PM, LegoBro said:

The Tie is the draw on this set. The price point and too many sets on the shelf probably killed the sales. I'm thinking there's either a new Vader tie somewhere in the pipeline or just making space on the shelf. I hope it's the latter.

Typically, there has not always been a Vader's TIE available at retail (as with X-wing and Millennium Falcon).  But it's certainly a risk.  The A-wing alone with its pilots probably can't pull more than $40 or so post-retirement.  The Tarkin minifig is an interesting wild card though.  No idea why he's in this set, but he's my personal favorite SW OT character.  Such a badass that even without any Force sensitivity he orders around Vader at will.  You gotta respect that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Typically, there has not always been a Vader's TIE available at retail (as with X-wing and Millennium Falcon).  But it's certainly a risk.  The A-wing alone with its pilots probably can't pull more than $40 or so post-retirement.  The Tarkin minifig is an interesting wild card though.  No idea why he's in this set, but he's my personal favorite SW OT character.  Such a badass that even without any Force sensitivity he orders around Vader at will.  You gotta respect that.

Tarkin is a mutha $&*#n man. He's in Rebels AND Rogue One. We still don't know if there will be a set with him in Rogue One (I'm guessing not). Listen, we bought into this set at under $60. We're at least going to double our money on this one. I can live with that.

7 minutes ago, pete411 said:

Tarkin is a mutha $&*#n man. He's in Rebels AND Rogue One. We still don't know if there will be a set with him in Rogue One (I'm guessing not). Listen, we bought into this set at under $60. We're at least going to double our money on this one. I can live with that.

With such a limited run, I hope it does a bit more than double at the under 60 buy in.  Just a bit.

Edited by LegoBro

1 hour ago, Brickbuilder.g said:

I like the set an the potential but if you're hoping for a more than a double after fees prepare to sit for a while.

Yeah, it's going to be a balancing act.  Time is probably in your favor on something like Ewok Village or Sandcrawler (that got remade once already; I can't see Lego bringing out a new, even bigger UCS Sandcrawler before remaking something like 10030), but Vader's TIE will get remade.  So you want to wait a bit, but not too long, or you might as well not have waited at all.

12 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Yeah, it's going to be a balancing act.  Time is probably in your favor on something like Ewok Village or Sandcrawler (that got remade once already; I can't see Lego bringing out a new, even bigger UCS Sandcrawler before remaking something like 10030), but Vader's TIE will get remade.  So you want to wait a bit, but not too long, or you might as well not have waited at all.

there has only been one  2 Vader's TIE advanced of any consequence .  and a  tiny poly bag version that wasn't specifically Vaders.  

http://brickset.com/sets?query=tie advanced

the next remake will more likely be a middling poly bag.

Vader's TIE advanced is not a commonly remade ship by any means with this being the 3rd.

everyone's hoping this set will be the poor mans 10175 which it actually stands a chance of becoming now that it has such a short life.

standard 24 month hold should net at least 3x at these buyin prices.  hopefully. 

i'm not liking GMT's tan suit in this set.

Edited by cladner