More LEGO Ghostbusters In 2016 - UPDATE

Alpinemaps

30 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

as a father of a daughter, i don't even care about the all female cast.  that's a good idea.   but come one.. a nerdy Thor ? seriously?   that would be like having a nerdy kelly lebrock or christy brinkley in the first film.  heck, a James Bond film tried taking a "voted most beautiful person"...that experiement failed.

Oh, c'mon, if Hollywood believed Denise Richard + glasses = nuclear scientist in Bond movie, this was not that big of a stretch :D

The sad thing is the kids these days are even more pressured to buy in to all of these body image craps

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

This movie is going to be complete garbage like 90% of these reboots and remakes and nostalgia fueled sequels are. They always lose what made them popular in the first place in the name of, "Hey, remember this intellectual property that existed in the 80s? Yeah we do too! Buy!". There are a few exceptions, such as the brilliant new Mad Max movie, but for the most part they are just a poorly disguised money grab that isn't even entertaining. I will avoid these sets like the plague. I am picturing Lone Ranger or Prince of Persia.

This is not a reboot, it just looks plain stupid. 

Prince of Persia on the other hand had very good base material and was not a reboot either. They just messed up the movie, but it had potential.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, inversion said:

Prince of Persia on the other hand had very good base material and was not a reboot either. They just messed up the movie, but it had potential.

yeah, agreed. i sense a great disturbance for the GB Lego theme :(

i actually liked that film along with The Lone Ranger.  Not Oscar worthy but good popcorn films.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

yeah, agreed. i sense a great disturbance for the GB Lego theme :(

i actually liked that film along with The Lone Ranger.  Not Oscar worthy but good popcorn films.

I thought Lone Ranger was great. Have not seen PoP, may have to check it. 

The new GB will be a middling hit at least even if it's awful. The female cast will bring the girls out. Anyone hear what the budget on it is? I have zero interest in any of it, movie or lego. 

Edited by marcandre
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, inversion said:

I didn't say this was a reboot. I put it in the category of reboots, remakes and nostalgia fueled sequels. It is one of those three.

Never said PoP was a reboot either. In that case I was talking about Lego movie lines that were not popular and comparing that to how I think these sets will perform. Or, not well.

The new GB will be a middling hit at least even if it's awful. The female cast will bring the girls out. Anyone hear what the budget on it is? I have zero interest in any of it, movie or lego. 

Widely reported that the budget is around $150 million. I think this could end up being a massive failure. It will have a good opening weekend but if the reviews are bad it will tank. I too am extremely worried by all the images I have seen and things I have read.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:11 AM, jaisonline said:

Bridesmaid was a total success and funny movie.  It deserved the praise.  This in the other head could be worse than  Porkys and Jawa 4 sequels.  

Seriously, does anyone here really want to see 3 of the 4 new main characters in IMAX 3D?  I rather see 3 of the 4 original stars moving around with canes and walkers.

Anyway....

So if the movie tanks, what happens to the 2 sets based on the original films?  Will guys in / near their 40s hate the new film so much it drives us away from the old film merchandise?  Prob the opposite like what the SW prequels did for the original trilogy. It made us yearn for items related to the first 3 films.

in conclusion, ghostbusters 1 (and even 2) stuff will be in high demand regardless of the new film's outcome.  Long-term growth of the first film merchandise will be longer if the new film succeeds.  

I think Ghostbusters by itself will be that big in current times. They're are so many of these types films coming out annually that it creates nostalgie in the old youth (40's lol) but the new, young youth I don't think will care too much about it. They may enjoy and that'll be it. 

I think the anticipated hating of this movie is confusing. We know absolutely nothing about this movie we know absolutely nothing about the jokes we know absolutely nothing about the special effects we know absolutely nothing about the chemistry between the characters and the storyline. People love to hate so much that they hate on things they don't even know about yet. Why is that?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

I think the anticipated hating of this movie is confusing. We know absolutely nothing about this movie we know absolutely nothing about the jokes we know absolutely nothing about the special effects we know absolutely nothing about the chemistry between the characters and the storyline. People love to hate so much that they hate on things they don't even know about yet. Why is that?

Star Wars Ep. 1-3 is to blame for everything. Publicity for the new one should enhance demand and rep for the original series, so Lego have all bases covered.

12 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

We know nothing about it except what we have been reading and seeing about it. Which is what we are commenting on. It sounds and looks awful so far. We are allowed to form opinions on what we do know so far. Sort of like the EOL speculation thread, except more grounded in reality. We also know 99.99% of all of these remakes, reboots and new sequels are awful. For every Mad Max or Force Awakens there is a Dredd or a Terminator Gynesis or a Transformers or a Red Dawn or Man of Steel or whatever the hell Sony is doing with Spiderman now. We are basing our opinions off what is known about this movie and about all the other garbage hollywood puts out every year. Sure there is a chance it won't suck. There is a chance I will win the lottery while getting struck by lightning as a shark eats me too.

25 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

There is a chance I will win the lottery while getting struck by lightning as a shark eats me too.

Sharknado 15 : A massive twister sucks all the bull sharks out of the Mississippi River and one of them eats a barbecued MM seconds after he hits a $1 trillion powerball jackpot. The ticket, incidentally, is picked up by an inebriated Tara Reid who is in a sinking canoe but is rescued by Ian Ziering and Brian Austin Green who just happen to be storm chasing/catfish noodling nearby.

• Like 1

Seems like Lego is starting to take a page out of hasbro's book, where they basically create the same set and just change the minifigures.  To me that's a sign that their ideas are starting to go dry, when they begin rehashing things over and over.  I get that it's easy for production schedules by keeping 99% of the parts the same from a previous set, and the only new items is reprinting a box, and just adding a few changes to a handful of minifigures, but that's usually not good for investment.  

Reminds me of transformers, and that point in the mattel cars line where it went from fresh, to nothing but rehashes and the same items over and over but with slight changes in the packaging or the color of the item.   In the end, most investors bail, and the prices of the sets drop below retail after they retire.  To think this won't hit the price of the echto-1 if neither this set or the other ghostbusters set was released would be a bit overly optimistic.

Edited by fossilrock

16 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Seems like Lego is starting to take a page out of hasbro's book, where they basically create the same set and just change the minifigures.  To me that's a sign that their ideas are starting to go dry, when they begin rehashing things over and over.  I get that it's easy for production schedules by keeping 99% of the parts the same from a previous set, and the only new items is reprinting a box, and just adding a few changes to a handful of minifigures, but that's usually not good for investment.  

Reminds me of transformers, and that point in the mattel cars line where it went from fresh, to nothing but rehashes and the same items over and over but with slight changes in the packaging or the color of the item.   In the end, most investors bail, and the prices of the sets drop below retail after they retire.  To think this won't hit the price of the echto-1 if neither this set or the other ghostbusters set was released would be a bit overly optimistic.

How is it Legos fault the director of the film chose to create a very similar car? Lego creates a display model of the movie vehicle, they weren't the ones who chose to rehash the design.

• Like 4

On 2/4/2016 at 6:00 PM, mudcatsfan said:

I'm with you. I love this cast, I love Paul Feig. My assumption is that this movie is going to be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2016 at 10:00 AM, mudcatsfan said:

Precisely the problem. Movie is coming out this year, and yet not a single trailer that people can recall and pass around in social media. Does not look promising.