Top 25 Most Valuable LEGO Sets 2016

Jeff Mack

19 minutes ago, longshot said:

I own 8 of these sets. Anything before 2006 was a bit before I was collecting, but not getting Taj, the castle chess set and Market street really grinds my gears since I held them in my hands I dont know how many times and didnt pull the trigger.

Me and many others are with you buddy, I was standing right next to you checking out the Taj at the Lego store!

Im sure if I was just a bit more flush with cash back then Id have picked it up but $250 at the time was a nice chunk. Just glad I was able to get multiple GG and CC. The thinking at the time was one to build one to hold. Never got around to building em though.............$$$

45 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I was a bit surprised to see a Technic set in the list but it seems legit:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/BULLDOZER-LEGO-TECHNIC-8275-NEUF-NEW-NEU-/290490911987?hash=item43a29b8cf3:m:mkDK3UTaeVjkNvnwAZd6IWQ

Hard to see which other Technic set will be able to rival it, though.

8043 - The motorized excavator is the only one that really comes close IMO. It regularly sells for top dollar.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/New-Sealed-Lego-Technic-8043-LEGO-Power-Functions-Motorized-Excavator-/221985791922?hash=item33af625fb2:g:8jcAAOSwHmhV8WRB

• Like 1

True, I forgot about that one and it arguably looks even better. 8421 and 8258 were also doing well but the recent MK2 crane and arocs are likely to contain their prices.

I really expecte the Unimog would be a 2x RRP set by now too but it just isn´t happening for it - maybe in 3 or 4 years when supply has thinned out but it will never make a top 25 list.

I have 16 of the 25.  I started collecting all the UCS Star Wars Lego sets which led me to this Brickpicker site a few years ago and the have been hooked ever since.  I have found bargains from CL, ebay and bricklink. 

I most I paid was a MSIB Grand Carousel for $2200 from bricklink last year.  

The best bargain was a first edition used UCS MF with certificates and letter of authenticity for $450 on CL.  Most may have bypassed it as a sham listing on CL as I email him two days after he listed it.  I picked it up from his executive office at Google.  He also has the SSD and Death Star 2 on display in his office but unfortunately, not for sale.  I literally had to check in at the front office, had to wear a badge to enter, and he even offered me a free lunch at their cafeteria.  I sold the UCS MF and used the money to buy a MSIB Cafe Corner.

Another bargain was a MSIB Market Street for $850 on ebay.  Could not believe my luck as the seller listed a MSIB Cafe Corner, Green Grocer and Market Street all for $850 buy it now or bid process.  I only had money for one, and bought the Market Steet for buy it now.  People started the bids on the Cafe Corner and Green Grocer and both went for higher amounts.  He listed it as  Lego Market Street (1019) but he left out a 0 at the end which worked in my favor.

I got the MSIB Taj Mahaj from a combination of trades and cash.  I paid $800 cash with trades of sealed R2, HH and AA.  This was before the three sets were retired.

I got the Imperial Flagship for $150 on ebay, it was used with box and manuals from a low feedback seller.  Again, some may have thought it was sham listing but you never know. 

I got a 10030 for $450 on ebay.  It came with box and manuals and was listed as used.  When it arrived, only one of the four white boxes was opened but all the bags were sealed.  Lucked out.

My worse trade by far was for a MSIB Green Grocer, I traded away sealed Pet Shop, Grand Emporium, Town Hall, Palace Cinema and a .....................................Haunted House (they were not retired yet but caution to newbies, do not trade away the future for something from the past).  

I picked up a sealed VW Beetle on CL for $250.  He had it listed for $650 for weeks on CL.  I finally contacted him and bargained it down to $250 cash.  

Obviously, some of these was several years ago so CL is not as easy to find bargains anymore.  On ebay, you have to check new listings all the time to take advantage of some of these deals.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ciglione said:

I only own some 10221 SSD from the list.

R2D2 should be entering the list in a year or two. But maybe that is more hope than wisdom :D  

Doesn´t matter, I thought our objective was to get the 25 least valuable sets and I think we did pretty well there.

I only have 2 on the list...  SSD and the Castle Giant Chess Set, both unopened.  I didn't think the Giant Chess Set would be on the list, but it's my one ace in the hole!  Best bargain ever!  Getting it for Retail price, instead of waiting and regretting!  Now I have to convince my wife to let me keep them.