75828 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1 & Ecto-2

jaisonline

Guest TabbyBoy

I just can't help thinking that the Ideas Ecto-1 could become the next Delorean? It's the classic model and nearly everybody prefers the original especially if it's from a limited theme like Ideas. I'm picking these up but, only if heavily discounted or 3-for-2. I'll go in big if I see them on clearance ;-)

Is it me or is Hollywood short of new ideas? I've never been a fan of sequels, prequels (esp. SW) and rehashes.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

I just can't help thinking that the Ideas Ecto-1 could become the next Delorean? It's the classic model and nearly everybody prefers the original especially if it's from a limited theme like Ideas. I'm picking these up but, only if heavily discounted or 3-for-2. I'll go in big if I see them on clearance ;-)

Is it me or is Hollywood short of new ideas? I've never been a fan of sequels, prequels (esp. SW) and rehashes.

You are not the only one.

Just now, TabbyBoy said:

Ebay seems to be flooded with them already, it is an iconic vehicle so you would think it would do well

Just started building mine, I like this Ideas Ecto-1. Even the market will be flooded (or already is).....this is a truly iconic vehicle which will be desired for a longgg time. I'm not too worried.

Now I only need to have a GBHQ as finishing touch with my Ecto 1 :derisive:

Guest TabbyBoy

21108 is now showing "Discontinued" at The Entertainer and I've seen it OOS at Tesco for the first time. Still at LEGO Shop at Home but, for how long?

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

It could also be the next Exo Suit. I mean it already has a remake before it has even retired. Caution advised unless buy-in was below retail.

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It could also be the next Exo Suit. I mean it already has a remake before it has even retired. Caution advised unless buy-in was below retail.

I agree hence, the 3-for-2 I mentioned bringing them to £30 a pop. However, I do these these being OOS a lot more often then the Exo Suits were. Who know... The Exo Suit could be gold in a few years. Mine are at the back of the lock-up and may surprise me whan I work my way back to them.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I agree hence, the 3-for-2 I mentioned bringing them to £30 a pop. However, I do these these being OOS a lot more often then the Exo Suits were. Who know... The Exo Suit could be gold in a few years. Mine are at the back of the lock-up and may surprise me whan I work my way back to them.

The other point against is the long shelf life - with no signs of retirement yet. A lot of people would have expected it to be done last year but the GBHQ seems to have changed everything.

The GBHQ is also a plus point as it will keep demand going for a while, but I feel this set is super duper hoarded and will struggle to match the Delorean (although people said the same about that compared with Mars Rover).

35 minutes ago, Val-E said:

All my mates nan's have one of these, let alone all of the Afols who occasionally buy two of a certain set as they think it will fuel a future purchase. And as said above, it already has an alternative on the market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stocking up on a few, but I wouldn't go too silly. It could be a very long time to make any worthwhile money.

19 hours ago, Val-E said:

65 euros RRP in Spain - even higher than Holland, for once. Also 15 euros more than the original version.

Damn! Hell did freeze over for a change! Also in France the RRP is set at €65, while Holland is following Germany with a €60 RRP.

But ... maybe TLG takes into account that this is a regular Lego set that will be sold everywhere, and Spain gets much better discount options (coupons stacking, price matching) than The Netherlands... :P 

3 hours ago, Haay said:

Damn! Hell did freeze over for a change! Also in France the RRP is set at €65, while Holland is following Germany with a €60 RRP.

But ... maybe TLG takes into account that this is a regular Lego set that will be sold everywhere, and Spain gets much better discount options (coupons stacking, price matching) than The Netherlands... :P 

I think the dart stuck on the Spanish segment of the boards this time - in any case this is a set to avoid so no harm in having it priced upwards.

Someone on Reddit posted a picture of his 7 year old daughter holding this set because she was excited to get it since her brother had the boy version. The monsters on reddit got so horrible about it that some were actually talking about raping her because she was excited about the set. Apparently they felt that since they were not excited for the movie it was ok to be horrible people. The dad took down the post and later posted about his experience. What is wrong with people?

3 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Someone on Reddit posted a picture of his 7 year old daughter holding this set because she was excited to get it since her brother had the boy version. The monsters on reddit got so horrible about it that some were actually talking about raping her because she was excited about the set. Apparently they felt that since they were not excited for the movie it was ok to be horrible people. The dad took down the post and later posted about his experience. What is wrong with people?

o.O

What? ...

Some people fell on their heads too often.

3 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I already think that posting pictures of your daughter/son on the internets (facebook ...) is a stupid thing to do ... but on REDDIT. Wtf did that person had in mind ?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

What is wrong with people?

A lack of self-control and sense of common decency for a start. The anonymity of the internet can bring out the worst in people especially around difference of opinion in, well, basically anything & everything while in real life they may act much differently (perhaps like an actual human being) but still there is simply no excuse for any person under whatever the circumstance towards whoever is involved to think it is okay to say such disgustingly horrid things. Being able to openly speak one's mind behind a shrouded identity is both a privilege and a curse with the World Wide Web seeing how mentally disturbed many of them can unfortunately be.

There has been a noticeably rising inability people seem to have with opinions and some absurd sense of entitlement that comes across as though they have the right to say whatever they wish in whichever manner they choose (usually very foul and/or immature) and should you not conform to it, think differently, or point out what is wrong in their statement then they will openly demand you should commit suicide. With so many of what I would call 'angry channels' to be found on YouTube alone as though rage was the 'in thing', the volume of intolerance nowadays is not surprising.

With a population of over at least seven billion, you would think the elementary concept of "no one person is the same" to be a staple in all our minds but alas it is not.

• Like 6

On 27.6.2016 at 11:37 AM, TabbyBoy said:

There exists only a limited amount of (sensible) ideas for every "medium", be it movies, songs, games, Lego sets. So it is inevitable for ideas to repeat over and over and over and over.... again through the decades. You just don't really notice it when you're still young. From around 30 years of age (or 25 or even earlier depending on your "speed"/"amount" of consumption to that point) you won't see anything really new anymore. Teach your kids to consume slowly, so things stay interesting a little longer in life.

Edited by Frank Brickowski

For those of you who might have forgotten that there was a Ghostbusters II movie already, and that this new movie is really Ghostbusters III, I found this article entertaining:

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/open-letter-from-ghostbusters-ii/

Excerpt:

Mostly, though, I don’t know why some people get very, very angry about this new Ghostbusters movie. And trust me, they are so angry! Some of them say they won’t even see the new Ghostbusters movie because … they love Ghostbusters movies too much? That sounds like a Terror Dog-whistle to my nubby little movie-ears. I mean, do they really think that this new Ghostbusters—which will only need three good jokes, tops, to be better than me—will damage their memory of the original any more than I did back in 1989, when I was birthed into the world as a stiff, crapoplectic bore? I don’t see how that’s possible!

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

For those of you who might have forgotten that there was a Ghostbusters II movie already, and that this new movie is really Ghostbusters III, I found this article entertaining:

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/open-letter-from-ghostbusters-ii/

Excerpt:

Since it's not really a continuation of the series, I'd call it something like Amazing Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters Begins.

• Like 1

Just now, thoroakenfelder said:

Since it's not really a continuation of the series, I'd call it something like Amazing Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters Begins.

True. The article just justifies me passing on the GB 1&2 double DVD on Amazon the other day ($10) in favor of only GB 1 ($4) :)