21026 - Venice

henrysunset

I just did an in-depth analysis of the new Venice Cityscape model.  I hope that it helps you decide if this is a model you want to add to your collection!

21026_alt2-2-600x403.jpg

In summary: It's a nice model if you can look past some of the artistic liberties.  Unfortunately, the 29.99$ price is pretty outrageous for just 212 bricks.  (By contrast, the Berlin model is also 29.99$ but 289 bricks.)  It's odd to me how inconsistent their pricing can be for similar sets.

IMG_9879-600x545.jpg
212 bricks included in the set

The part selection is pretty good despite the high price tag.  I enjoyed the printed lion brick, as well as the white microfigures. (This is the first time they have appeared in this color.)

One of the quirks of the Cityscapes series is that landmarks from around the city are compressed into a single scene even when the buildings aren't that close together in real life.  I prepared a map showing the locations of these buildings in Venice, numbered as they appear from left to right in the LEGO model.

map-1-600x474.jpg
Map showing landmarks featured in Venice model.

I enjoyed the build and the completed model a lot. It's a simple model, but it captures the essence of Venice well.

IMG_9982-600x408.jpg
Breakdown of the model into layers of base, street level, and buildings.

For more analysis and additional photos, read the whole review at http://brickarchitect.com/2016/venice-cityscape-21026-review/

Sincerely,
---Tom Alphin

• Like 5

I concur - it looks lovely... but is overpriced. Should have been on sale here in the UK for £20... but I can imagine the discussion. If you compare it to the space needle, or even the purchase price of one of the TRU bricktober modulars (either free with a purchase of over £45 I think, or £15 on it's own), it just looks more substantial than it actually is. 

At the moment there seems to be very little discount here on ANY Lego set worth looking at, but in the months to come I would expect these to drop from their RRP.

Nevertheless, it's a good move by Lego - produce three cityscape sets (at the moment), and there's a big likelihood that you're going to want to get them all. I've always seen the Architecture series as somewhat niche (which is why I'm attracted to them)... this looks like Lego widening the appeal of the series.

• 2 years later...