Are the LEGO F40 and LEGO Mini Cooper Going to Be Retired Soon?

Jeff Mack

2 hours ago, Jeff Mack said:

If that is the case, why isn't it that the Drag Racer and other titles that have multiple "tire" words in their description listed on that page with retired products (there are a lot of sets with "tire" in the description)

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Drag-Racer-42050

2016-01-15_07-34-06.jpg.4390275ece2e19fd

When you search for retired sets on LEGO Shop at Home EU, this set does come up.

It's on the second page.

ret_1.jpg

Edited by tractorboy

17 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

When you search for retired sets on LEGO Shop at Home EU, this set does come up.

It's on the second page.

I only see the 42050 set on the available: Out of Stock page. Not on the Retiring Soon page. (Dutch LEGO LEGO Shop at Home site).

<EDIT> Looks like Lego has adjusted the webshop because the F40 (and also the Mini) do not show up any longer when searching for Retiring Soon sets.

Edited by Haay

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Unless you have access to the code base from which the search for the word 'retired' is executed, it's pure speculation. Back-end application searches aren't necessarily searching what you're reading on a particular page.... they're checking against whatever fields the design says to check against... and those fields aren't always visible to us the users. The partial word search algorithms are well known .. but how loosely they are applied is up to the company itself.

It's an interesting observation but one hardly deserving of wild ass speculations about partial word matching between 'retired' and 'tires'.

I don't know if I hit the like button because I agree with your assessment, Or that I Hope your assessment is correct due to the fact that I only have (1) Mini and (0) F40

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Mack said:

If that is the case, why isn't it that the Drag Racer and other titles that have multiple "tire" words in their description listed on that page with retired products (there are a lot of sets with "tire" in the description)

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Drag-Racer-42050

2016-01-15_07-34-06.jpg.4390275ece2e19fd

that drag racer set does show up when reaching for "retired". 2nd row from the top. so it does work like a keyword queries for single word searches  but not multiple ones :(

http://search-en.lego.com/?cc=US&i=1&m_sort_menu=pricehigh&pt=shop&q=Retired&rank=rankUS

however, if i change the search to "retired product", "active" sets do not appear :(

http://search-en.lego.com/?~2Fcom~2Flego~2Fsearch~2FShopHeaderSearchFormHandler.search=Search&_D%3A~2Fcom~2Flego~2Fsearch~2FShopHeaderSearchFormHandler.search=+&_D%3A~2Fcom~2Flego~2Fsearch~2FShopHeaderSearchFormHandler.searchParam=+&_DARGS=~2Fincludes~2Fheader~2FshopHeader.jsp.searchform&_dynSessConf=-5847792621655522304&_dyncharset=UTF-8&cc=us&count=60&i=1&m_sort_menu=itemname&pt=shop&q=retired+product&q1=Exclusives|Technic|Hard+to+Find+Items&rank=rankUS&x1=deptname

1 hour ago, Haay said:

Still, I have to admit that it's rather odd when you search for Retired Product flag, you get a long list with a lot of already retired products, and then a few retiring soon sets, and most strikingly both the F40 and the Mini Cooper:

569901d43291e_RetiringSoonflag.thumb.png

Aren't those filters you applid there "OR" filters (not "AND")? In this case it would not be surprising to also see "Hard to Find" sets in the list you get since you did search for them, too (see the marked area on your screenshot).

• Like 2

I'm not worried about this one bit.  If they are retiring soon they will most likely get the tag to move stock and even if it catches us off guard, it will be available from Target, Walmart, Amazon, and LEGO retail stores.  I doubt they are going to disappear overnight.

I'm pretty certain Jason is right about tire being in the word retired. Every single one of those sets that show up have the word tire in their description. The very first one listed is even called 'Tire Escape'. It would be an extraordinary coincidence otherwise.

Edited by tractorboy
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
25 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

INTERNAL LEGO MEMO:

Due to a recent uptick in sales, the 10248 Ferrari F40 will go back into full production and will not be retired due to poor sales.  

LOL - Just as well I prefer the Mini Cooper then!  BTW... This could still live long and prosper like the T1.

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Certified by who?

I´d say Lego´s own EU sales data when it was available and when it was a SAH exclusive is as good as any other data and the fact it is still in the top 25 lists around the world too.

Now it´s available in third part shops we can observe a little more.

4 hours ago, rfish said:

Aren't those filters you applid there "OR" filters (not "AND")? In this case it would not be surprising to also see "Hard to Find" sets in the list you get since you did search for them, too (see the marked area on your screenshot).

You're right, I realised that too later. Oh well. Had fun with this silly speculation today. :D 

I remember back during 2xVIP the Mini Cooper went to Sold Out status.  About a week or so later it came back and I jumped on buying one, because my wife wanted to build one of these .. so I moved and got one once I saw it come back and gave it to my wife as part of her christmas presents.  It's been back in stock ever since.  

I will say the set itself is really cool, and the build looked interesting (although I didnt play any role in building it).  Im not sure i'd buy multiples of this one, but overall, it's a nice set.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with this year, and i'd suspect something could retire, but then again, maybe they'll have 4 or 5 choices for UCS style car/truck models before they retire something.  Either way, i'm kind of a fan of these, but I wouldn't buy everyone as a collector.  I personally have no interest in the ferrari.  I saw it on display at a lego store, and while it was nice, but both my wife and I agreed it wasn't any sort of must have.  The Camper Van on the other hand was a set also worth picking up.  Like I said, it will be interesting to see what they come up with next.  I'd love to see something like an old vintage 1950 ford pickup truck..