Sets to pick up early 2016!

If you have to ask, then you probably aren't ready. For 4-7k investing, go get 2-3 of every exclusive you don't already have 2-3 of. It's called diversity. I think people will.be disappointed in modular returns and will be slow gainers in the future. There are more sets that will pop like the sea cow that you will miss out on if you focus in modulars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elkolonel said:

That means we need to take punts on smaller sets. What does anyone reckon?

I see some mid range sets do well, City Mine 4204 or even cheaper Airport Fire Engine 60061 for example. 

That's my comfort level. I have yet to buy a set that costs over $70. I love 60061, and am mad at myself for trying to hold out for discounts at the end of it's life cycle; I didn't get even one. That is one cool looking fire engine.

As for other mid-range sets for investment, I gravitate toward Ideas sets. And if I can part them out and reload, all the better. Right now, Dr. Who and Raptor Rampage fit that criteria. I'm also hoping Utility Shuttle surprises us all. Or maybe Training Jet, which only exciter1 seems to be stocking up on.

54 minutes ago, randrace said:

That's my comfort level. I have yet to buy a set that costs over $70. I love 60061, and am mad at myself for trying to hold out for discounts at the end of it's life cycle; I didn't get even one. That is one cool looking fire engine.

As for other mid-range sets for investment, I gravitate toward Ideas sets. And if I can part them out and reload, all the better. Right now, Dr. Who and Raptor Rampage fit that criteria. I'm also hoping Utility Shuttle surprises us all. Or maybe Training Jet, which only exciter1 seems to be stocking up on.

Wow, i just love Utility Shuttle, was one of the sets that brought me back, but I never saw him as a possible investment for when he goes EOL. This got me thinking, for the price of a modular you could stack up a pile of these. He has seen some retail success, it's way cheaper than the shuttle launching, it has the shuttle and the astronauts minifigs and even a small satellite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, randrace said:

Go wash your mouth with soap.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

MF's and Poe's x-wings at at least 35% off... slave I when promos add up to at least 15%... is the batcave a given?... mystery machines?

You have to be extremely lucky to find Poe's X-wings at 35% off.  The only time I managed to score them at that price was during a BOGO50% off at BAM during their Black Friday event. I've seen these twice in the wild since.  Granted, occasionally you might get a TRU coupon for 8% or a smidge higher, but even at that, you won't get it at 35%.  This is one set, I think is worth getting if you see them, because i'm not entirely sure it's going to be around much longer.  It could be the raptor escape of the first wave of Force Awakens sets.  Add in that there is a new Poe' X-wing on the horizon, and the signs could be there.  When I see these, I grab them, and the last two have seals of 40R5.  This is the only set i'd do this with.  I already flipped two of these over the holiday season for 115.  This is a popular set, and I see the value staying with it.. From here on out though, i'm just grabbing them and will hold them until they retire and then play the selling strategy on them.. 

19 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

You have to be extremely lucky to find Poe's X-wings at 35% off.  The only time I managed to score them at that price was during a BOGO50% off at BAM during their Black Friday event. I've seen these twice in the wild since.  Granted, occasionally you might get a TRU coupon for 8% or a smidge higher, but even at that, you won't get it at 35%.  This is one set, I think is worth getting if you see them, because i'm not entirely sure it's going to be around much longer.  It could be the raptor escape of the first wave of Force Awakens sets.  Add in that there is a new Poe' X-wing on the horizon, and the signs could be there.  When I see these, I grab them, and the last two have seals of 40R5.  This is the only set i'd do this with.  I already flipped two of these over the holiday season for 115.  This is a popular set, and I see the value staying with it.. From here on out though, i'm just grabbing them and will hold them until they retire and then play the selling strategy on them.. 

I think you are right about them possibly not being around anymore, i know somebody said they seen a catalog with all the TFA sets in it except for that one, and at all the targets and walmarts I've been at recently have gotten all the TFA sets in recently except that one. I guess i got spoiled stacking TRU 15% off GCs with 20% off coupons, and promo polybags as a cherry on top the past couple months. Are those TRU coupons usually only around during the holidays? I actually have been able to find some TRU GC's 20-25% off with ebay rewards and was counting on more coupons for TRU poppig up here.

2 hours ago, randrace said:

I've stocked up on Changing Seasons more, kind of unintentionally.  I do think it's a winner. It's sell through rate appears to be pretty great everywhere, so hopefully that equates to popularity.  I like the medium size sets too.  To me they are much much much easier to sell/ship and much less painful to endure when you have an occasional return.

If you can get a $50 3 in 1 set for 40% off, I've seen many spring up to $100 - $125 in a couple years.  That's a pretty good return right there.  I think you'll have better ROI with those than you will with the $90 3 in 1 sets like Bike Shop.

I unintentionally stocked up on Poe's X-Wing too.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I've seen a few of the Poe's on shelves in the past couple of weeks, but never more than 2 in any location.  I still believe this is the winner of this wave.

Yep, see the link below.  This is why i'm convincing myself it's the "raptor escape" of the FA first wave of sets.  They are basically coming out with the exact same set, with a Poe Dameron, BB8, and Lor San Tekka that will be with the summer wave, that usually appears in July.  Prime time hunting season?  I suppose.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I've got a few.  My best buy-in was $42 out the door.  I would've broke the bank if I had seen them for $39.XX that some saw at Sam's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, randrace said:

Whats a good price to pay on Utility Shuttle? $15-$20?

4 hours ago, Loghamel said:

I've got a few.  My best buy-in was $42 out the door.  I would've broke the bank if I had seen them for $39.XX that some saw at Sam's.

I got most of mine at 62-67 after taxes.. Only got 4 though, really wish I had about a dozen at that price. If I would have seen them for that price at Sams Club I would have gotten a car title loan 

• Like 1

Whats a good price to pay on Utility Shuttle? $15-$20?

As low as possible, naturally. Also, shouldn't you spend more time researching this whole Lego investing malarkey instead of stockpiling sets, realistically, considering the questions you're posing?