STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

12 hours ago, CM4Sci said:

BUT

it was still good right? Great ending? We wouldn't have gotten that awesome Vader scene

Was it really? As a movie, as a storytelling device it did a terrible job at its most fundamental aspects. We're the characters compelling? Did we understand their motivations? Did they grow? The third act was a pretty solid series of action sequences that were amusing to watch, but as a movie, it was dreck.

I find myself never wanting to watch Rogue One honestly  I saw it and liked it, then I saw it a second time a few hours later with Ed and fell asleep through most of it.  I watched it one more time since it was available on streaming/dvd.  Yes I have watched the first trilogy several times as well as VI while I am doing work on the site.  There were some great eye candy shots in that movie, but that is all I really liked.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I find myself never wanting to watch Rogue One honestly  I saw it and liked it, then I saw it a second time a few hours later with Ed and fell asleep through most of it.  I watched it one more time since it was available on streaming/dvd.  Yes I have watched the first trilogy several times as well as VI while I am doing work on the site.  There were some great eye candy shots in that movie, but that is all I really liked.

R1 is a go to Star Wars Movie in our house. I do think Jyn is a compelling character, along with the immediate crew.
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, California92563 said:

I'm gonna need some more holy water to douse on those of you that are talking smack about rogue one!

How was it great sure compared to recent Star Wars films it was great but really was it that good. It required more brutailty. What about the corny scene on Mustafar with Vader. Finally the empire's secure vault had a second entrance which just opens up also Krennic and the death troopers held the high ground the only people in Star Wars to lose whilst holding the high ground.

Take the final act out it becomes mediocre at best.

3 hours ago, Jeff Mack said:

Same here. I could not stay awake when re-watching it on Bluray.

It is really the biggest fanservice movie money can buy.   It is like you are sightseeing instead of watching a stoy.  "Oh look! check out YAvin IV", "remember the guy on the tower?", "wow R2 really did appear in all SW movies", "Did he say General Syndulla???", "Is that Tarkin? IT IS", "hey Gold Leader", "Oh Red V died, make sense", "AT-AT on sand!!", "remember Vader needed to be in that weird thing when off suit??" etc etc etc.  You do it once and you are done :P

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Rogue One.  One of the better crafted and compelling Star Wars movies in a standalone sense.  Good characters.  Compelling story.  Real consequences (hard to achieve when you know the outcome).

I was a big fan of Force Awakens initially, but as time passes and its many flaws become apparent, my opinion of it has really fallen off.  Its more fan-fiction than anything else.  Rey is a complete Mary Sue who can do no wrong.  Starkiller base is ridiculous as an idea and gets worse if you try to work out the logic of how and when it got built.  Billions of people being murdered was an afterthought and casual fans probably weren't aware that was the capital being destroyed.  R2-D2's role can only be understood if you read the book. The whole presence of the First Order and the Resistance really makes no sense and those two entities only seem to exist to replicate the original dynamic from the old movies.

It looks like The Last Jedi is trying to rectify the flaws of the Force Awakens.  Hopefully Rey finds things to be a little more challenging this time around.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Cbenioff said:

I really enjoyed Rogue One.  One of the better crafted and compelling Star Wars movies in a standalone sense.  Good characters.  Compelling story.  Real consequences (hard to achieve when you know the outcome).

I was a big fan of Force Awakens initially, but as time passes and its many flaws become apparent, my opinion of it has really fallen off.  Its more fan-fiction than anything else.  Rey is a complete Mary Sue who can do no wrong.  Starkiller base is ridiculous as an idea and gets worse if you try to work out the logic of how and when it got built.  Billions of people being murdered was an afterthought and casual fans probably weren't aware that was the capital being destroyed.  R2-D2's role can only be understood if you read the book. The whole presence of the First Order and the Resistance really makes no sense and those two entities only seem to exist to replicate the original dynamic from the old movies.

It looks like The Last Jedi is trying to rectify the flaws of the Force Awakens.  Hopefully Rey finds things to be a little more challenging this time around.

Cannot like this enough. R1 was the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. Yes there were fan service moments but they all made sense given the connection to New Hope and were generally not intrusive. Force Remakens was such fan service that they recreated a movie people loved rather than try to do something different. I was really enjoying it solely on account of the more adult tone compared to the prequels and the earnestness of the new actors right up until the Death Planet appeared on screen. At that moment I felt my stomach sink as I knew exactly how the movie would unfold. I laughed at that scene where the resistance dude  replied to the comment about the Death Star by instantly bringing up a picture of the Death Star compared to the Starkiller to show how much bigger the latter was - like he has that file handy right there 30 years later just in case. It's not copying because it's bigger dammit!!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeff_14 said:

I laughed at that scene where the resistance dude  replied to the comment about the Death Star by instantly bringing up a picture of the Death Star compared to the Starkiller to show how much bigger the latter was - like he has that file handy right there 30 years later just in case. It's not copying because it's bigger dammit!!!

Forgot that scene which means 30ish years later there will be a film on how they obtained the Starkiller base plans. Rogue 2 perhaps?

• Like 1

Having watched the trailer over twenty times I am far from convinced that Kylo is about to blow up his mom . The dude behind her is walking way too casually like it is just a normal day at the office. 

Creative editing. I bet we find that Kylo is not reaching out to Rey either.
  • Like 1