60134 - Fun at the Park

Alpinemaps

Brickset posted the following description about this City Summer 2016 set:

60134 City Fun at the Park £34.99 - *I think*

I had spotted the title of this set in the Brickset database but couldn't see it on display when I got to the City section (I had gotten left behind the boys a bit as all the "girly" stuff was at the beginning of our tour!) so I asked and it was tucked away on a shelf.

The lady I spoke to said that LEGO get a lot of feedback from customers complaining that they have lots of vehicles and buildings in their Lego city but lack civilians and want to buy essentially a City minifigure pack. This set corresponds to this problem, though the lady said to me it's sometimes tricky to do a set like this because the set will come in a relatively small box for the price point. My feeling is that this will be a big seller though.

It includes an Alsatian dog and 14 minifigures - some adults, some kids. None were actually on display but the display card showed a grandma and grandpa in lovely knitted jumpers, kids with some new torso designs (one with the yellow sleepy head hair, one with the bob hair new in tan), a female handyman in paint splattered blue dungarees. In addition there is a brick built pushchair (stroller) to accommodate the brand new baby fig - not the baby in papoose seen with the tribal woman but a figure that's roughly the height of minifig legs and one stud wide, with little arms and head. It looked very cute on the illustration :-)

The other brilliant new piece is a wheelchair mould - a prototype piece was on display -, a seat area with rear handles, to which wheels are attached. It's long overdue, but I think it'll be worth the wait.
There are a number of little builds of things you'd expect to see in or around a park - picnic table, bench, bus stop, a little football goal (slatted windscreen piece with a tile across the top), a hot dog cart (again reusing that new bun part!)

All in all, my favourite set among the City theme but then I do love my minifigures!

Sounds similar to the Winter Village Market, with a lot of little minibuilds.  Honestly, I love the idea of some "civilian" sets (outside of the Creator line).  This is a winner to me.

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Brickset posted the following description about this City Summer 2016 set:

Sounds similar to the Winter Village Market, with a lot of little minibuilds.  Honestly, I love the idea of some "civilian" sets (outside of the Creator line).  This is a winner to me.

This seems closer to the older Town civilian packs filled with lots of people and maybe a couple of small scenery builds (usually certain utilities instead). Fourteen is a high volume of characters in a single set but £34.99 sounds rather steep. Hopefully the whole package including builds will fit the bill. In any case finally getting a wheelchair and another LEGO infant should be a win.

• Like 1

Four words: first official LEGO baby....and wheelchair! ....Okay, that was six and the newborn in a papoose for Series 15 would technically be the first far as concept goes but this one is a real infant with arms & all. I imagine this little guy will be a new standard popping up sporadically down the road in the likes of City and Creator (between houses & modulars) however this starting point should be special.

• Like 3

The hype around this set is beginning to explode as this set resonates with the disabled community.  As the parent of 2 little girls in wheelchairs, I'm seeing discussion of this set throughout all the facebook pages my wife is frequenting - she is asking me when it comes out.  This could be another RI when it comes out with CNN already running an article and NYTIMES not far behind...  or it will be another exo-suit... the choice is yours.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/28/news/companies/lego-wheelchair-minifigure/index.html

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, randrace said:

New pics posted over at The Brick Fan. I've not seen this printing on a German Shepherd before. Does anyone know if this guy is unique to this set?

I believe the answer to your question is yes the dog is unique to this set. The other 2016 city set with a dog is the car and camper which has the old dog - black on the nose, no printing on the sides.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...