Dream Job?

dinner41

Sounded like a dream job until I googled "legoland master builder salary":

Apprentices typically make $10 per hour, senior builders $12 and full-time master builders can start at a salary of around $37,500 annually, according to Priceonomics.

$37500 for a master builder? How would you even afford LEGOs for personal use on that salary? ...Think I'll keep it as a hobby.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, gbg108 said:

Sounded like a dream job until I googled "legoland master builder salary":

Apprentices typically make $10 per hour, senior builders $12 and full-time master builders can start at a salary of around $37,500 annually, according to Priceonomics.

$37500 for a master builder? How would you even afford LEGOs for personal use on that salary? ...Think I'll keep it as a hobby.

There goes my dream.

7 minutes ago, kenchu2000 said:

Hmmm, I thought the Lego employees that work at Lego stores make more than that, no?

Mostly not. Their pay is based on a few things, but most store employees don't make much. Plus, the average store employee is part time.  Some supervisors and, of course, the manager and asst. managers are full time.  It will be interesting to see what they do if LA gets to $15/hour minimum wage. That will be more than most of the supervisors make currently. For a company that's swimming in money, they are actually pretty cheap when it comes to paying their store employees. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

I don't see why they should be paid more than any other store, not like you need a diplomat to work there, even has a manager...

i've studied for earning a decent salary

but 37500 for a master builder.. is not much, but all depends.. for someone without education, it's a good salary no?

I think it all depends on what you expect from your employees. If you have high expectations of them and you're selling a premium product, I would say they should be paid as such. However, I think they pay like Walmart but expect Nordstrom quality. 

32 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

I don't see why they should be paid more than any other store, not like you need a diplomat to work there, even has a manager...

i've studied for earning a decent salary

but 37500 for a master builder.. is not much, but all depends.. for someone without education, it's a good salary no?

Education comes in many forms, would you say a mechanic is uneducated, a finish carpenter, a plumber, a shipswright, what about a programmer who never went to University, I know several.  Uneducated is term I hope will go out of style, and just because I have studied Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, and Rudin's Real and Complex analysis does not mean I consider my ship carpenter friends uneducated. They have learned how to do many things I can't, just as I have specialized in other things.  These master builders can do things I and probably many here can not, and deserve to be paid accordingly.

Edited by junkrigger
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Education comes in many forms, would you say a mechanic is uneducated, a finish carpenter, a plumber, a shipswright, what about a programmer who never went to University, I know several.  Uneducated is term I hope will go out of style, and just because I have studied Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, and Rudin's Real and Complex analysis does not mean I consider my ship carpenter friends uneducated. They have learned how to do many things I can't, just as I have specialized in other things. 

uh no.. all have diplomas man. a pumbler here makes 75 000$ a year.

a carpenter too 75k a year and have a diplomat. 

I should have said unscholorize if it's the correct word.

8 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Education comes in many forms, would you say a mechanic is uneducated, a finish carpenter, a plumber, a shipswright, what about a programmer who never went to University, I know several.  Uneducated is term I hope will go out of style, and just because I have studied Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, and Rudin's Real and Complex analysis does not mean I consider my ship carpenter friends uneducated. They have learned how to do many things I can't, just as I have specialized in other things. 

a carpenter or plumber has nothing to do with a store employee.....

wow

With enough time and interest perhaps anyone can learn to do most anything, that time and effort deserves compensation, same holds for Lego MOC artists and master builders. Perhaps we should estimate how many hours of study it would take to get to their level of abilities.  And I am talking about master builders here, not store employees who simply know a little about the product and and how to operate a cash register, though even those things must be learned.

Edited by junkrigger

13 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

With enough time and interest perhaps anyone can learn to do most anything, that time and effort deserves compensation, same holds for Lego MOC artists and master builders. Perhaps we should estimate how many hours of study it would take to get to their level of abilities. 

The "skill" a master builder has is being artistic.There are a ton of skilled artists who make barely enough to survive. Because art is so subjective and not widely appreciated. Lego is paying them a "fair" wage given the market. 

Lego/Art are commodities and don't really operate on the same pay scales that other skills with high constant demand do.

well, designing some cool stuff sounds fun. but buidling these large things like the craken? come on, just imagine putting one brick onto another day by day. thats just lame. would never trade my job with that.

and 37k5 $ annually, how much is that in the us? what jobs earn comparable amounts?

7 minutes ago, Hogi said:

well, designing some cool stuff sounds fun. but buidling these large things like the craken? come on, just imagine putting one brick onto another day by day. thats just lame. would never trade my job with that.

and 37k5 $ annually, how much is that in the us? what jobs earn comparable amounts?

$37,500/year would be a fairly average salary for someone without a degree. With a degree it's probably ~50-60K. Average teacher salary is ~45K in the USA and many would argue they're underpaid. So a master builder would make ~20% less than a teacher.

Arts are rarely appreciated.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

The problem is that most dream jobs pay peanuts unless you're a gigolo. In the UK, job satisfaction is inversely proportional to the salary. Unless you're Royalty and sit on your arse all day.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Apart from the economic implications of what you are stating guys, I don't know if I would ever apply for the job of master builder even if I had the chance to go for it (and I don't have it, I mean, I am only a humble collector with a decent knowledge of pieces and building techniques that could barely fit the position I think).

What would bother me the most are the implications of dealing with Lego pieces all day long forced by milestones and deadlines (because then would be a job, is not a "game" anymore): for me Lego is a way to escape from everyday stressful life. Making this part as stressful as all the other things in life would be annoying I guess.

I met one time a Lego master builder/designer here in Italy thanks to itLUG (Italian Lego User Group) and chatting with him, this aspect was very clearly pointed out.

I would keep it romantically as one of my most rewarding passions (and with "rewarding" I am not meaning what you guys investors are thinking :money:), nothing less nothing more!

Edited by Anakin_Skywalker

3 hours ago, junkrigger said:

Education comes in many forms, would you say a mechanic is uneducated, a finish carpenter, a plumber, a shipswright, what about a programmer who never went to University, I know several.  Uneducated is term I hope will go out of style, and just because I have studied Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, and Rudin's Real and Complex analysis does not mean I consider my ship carpenter friends uneducated. They have learned how to do many things I can't, just as I have specialized in other things.  These master builders can do things I and probably many here can not, and deserve to be paid accordingly.

oh maybe in the US you don't need to graduate for those jobs, and peddlers are everywhere ? 

Maybe in the U.S. you can be a BadA$$ at something without needing a piece of paper to try and convince others.  And yes one of the highest paid computer programmers I know never went to college(clown or other). Obviously there are peddlers everywhere in any country, some of them even have degrees.

Edited by junkrigger