21128 - The Village

inversion

Good timing with the end of no discounts on exclusives this looks like it should be 100-150 to be a reasonable purchase.  Seems there are many unreasonable people out there so it will sell some but it may see a large discount at some point if TLG produces a ton.

I don't see the appeal for this type of set. It's just a larger version of what is already available in the Minecraft lineup: a box of 2x2 bricks. And at 200€ for this set you are paying 12.5cents per brick. I'm genuinely interested to know how many VIP's are going to take 'advantage' of early access on this one.

At least with the batcave you are getting some cool builds and nice parts.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Looks like LEGO has added another overpriced set that will surely be ignored and eventually discounted before getting put out of it's misery. At least Assault on Hoth (and prob even the Classic Batcave due to it's price) won't be alone... 

I can't agree more. I for one have not bought Minecraft since the first 3 cubed boxes came out where I made a killing ;-)

What an oddly strange year for Lego.  They've had 3 big exclusives, that I have 0 interest in.  And obviously, I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I mean AOH, Batman batcave, and now this, are coming in with pretty mixed reviews.  Usually, by this point in time, I'm playing catch up on all the stuff I've missed for the year, but not this time...

There just hasn't been anything really appealing at all.  Luckily the second half of the year should be fantastic, with the technic sets, and the rumored UCS Star Wars sets, and the Big Ben.  So hopefully Lego can pull their head out of the collective rear ends as it were.

As a side note, I'm agree with some, that the price point is a bit odd for a set like this.  At least with the Temple of Airjitzu, it has some AFOL appeal, but this is pretty much targeted at kids, and it's quite the pill to swallow for most parents.

Edited by citymorgue

48 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

What an oddly strange year for Lego.  They've had 3 big exclusives, that I have 0 interest in.  And obviously, I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I mean AOH, Batman batcave, and now this, are coming in with pretty mixed reviews.  Usually, by this point in time, I'm playing catch up on all the stuff I've missed for the year, but not this time...

I'm absolutely thinking the same thing! The common denominator between all three sets is that they are playset oriented. The main problem with this is Lego using the term "playset" to justify stuffing scattered and uninteresting small builds into one large set. 

The good news with this is it allows me to catch up on the past couple year's excellent exclusives that I was holding off on. 

• Like 1

I used to play Minecraft quite often (if i had time these days i still would be) and i always made it a priority to find these villages and build around them sinc ei thought they were so cool and having other villagers going about their business made it feel like a busier world.

It's already been said in this thread; but this is so close to the source material its pretty amazing. I have been wanting to build a Minecraft display, and this would be a good buffer set, but the price for what you get is pretty much a turn off for me. I've still got a bunch of Minecraft sets kept stashed away (unopened) for myself in case i ever decide to go for it... but nothing has ever really pushed me over the edge to do so.

Edited by Sandwraith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Briggs said:

I'm sure The Village will challenge even the most experienced builder. So that should make up for the high price per piece.

22 minutes ago, Val-E said:

220 euros in France is quite a challenge for a 1600 piece set!

Can we just forget once this price per piece discussion? Makes no sense. Minecraft sets first of all contain more bulky pieces than average. Second, this has many baseplates that are well known to be pricey. Looking at its sheer size the price looks like to be in the right ballpark.

When the Volvo came out some people over on Brickset (just as usual) were complaining about piece count. 1 motor = 1 piece. 1x1 tile = 1 piece....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now available for VIP early access at LEGO Shop at Home: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Village-21128?ShipTo=US&_requestid=83837

From Brickset:

The fifth direct-to-consumer set of 2016, 21128 The Village, is now available at shop.LEGO.com: 
USA | UK | Canada | Germany | France ($199.99/£169.99/199.99€)

You'll need to be logged in and registered as a VIP to purchase.

Edited by Phil B

I know I won't change anyone's mind about the set but used my VIP points and bought it first thing when I woke up today.  I never played video games as a child and now as an adult Minecraft and Simpsons Tapped out are about the only 2 I play on a a somewhat regular basis.  Carl, one of the set designers, used to be make appearances on the original YouTube channel Tested (based in San Francisco back when it was just Will and Norm hosting) and he has made some very cool Mocs.  Kinda unfortunate they threw him into the more simplified Minecraft theme but regardless I love the sets he works on and I am stoked to support his work.  I have always enjoyed the Minecraft theme and and looking forward to the set.

Edited by areyounormal
  • Like 3

At first I thought the additional "trading post" area was unusual only for the fact it isn't a natural feature to spawn in a village however now when I think about it considering the game mechanics, this original add-on is fitting and I quite like it. I may just add something similar to the village I am presently rebuilding in actual Minecraft. Anyways back to the set embarrassed to say, I did not recognize the other "large house" was the Butcher's. I forgot it's the only abode with a fenced section in the back. Ridiculous how accurate the entire scenery for this one is and smart decision to tile all the rooftops in my opinion. Featuring just two villagers though seems underwhelming yet leads me to further believe there will be more (smaller) designs that will help spread The Village out; perhaps something along the lines of The First Night in being a house including a couple more villagers.

• Like 1