Rumor - Star Wars Rogue One Slave 1 set

jaisonline

note: we can use this topic to save as the lego set placeholder for the rumored Slave 1 appearance in the film, "Rogue One
 : A Star Wars Story". 

Not much is currently known but a combination of being time for a non-UCS Slave 1 refresh and the picture below, tends to make many (including myself) believe a new version is coming.

the pic below is from the "2016 International Toy Fair" in Nuremberg and written in German.

rogue1.jpg.12660098e4ecf202e436469aadd08

• Like 1

That is definitely curious.  Mistake?  Image Placeholder?  Or did LEGO just reveal something that Lucasfilm hadn't put out there yet?

It sure fueled speculation this weekend that Boba Fett might show up in Rogue One.  It might not be a bad idea, if you are wanting to hit goals on 75060, you may want to accelerate your purchasing now.  This is probably the best clue that we're going to have about a potential Rogue One Slave 1 set until October.

It makes sense that, if Slave 1 showed up in Rogue One, we could see a repeat of 7965 MF and 75105 MF.  7965 retired on December 1, 2014 and 75105 went on sale September 5, 2015.  We're already inside that window now, but those were both playsets.  Perhaps 75060 makes it to the summer, and then we see a playset Slave 1 show up in September.

• Like 1

FYI...

http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/news/collectibles/is-that-boba-fetts-slave-i-pictured-on-lego-rogue-one-backdrop-at-toy-fair/

Is That Boba Fett's Slave I Pictured on a LEGO "Rogue One" Backdrop at Toy Fair?

Spotted moments ago on Twitter: "More #LEGO #StarWars Reveals from Nuremberg" in this photo and caption via @StudShooter, which appears to show a Firespray-class ship like Boba Fett's Slave I (if not the real deal) alongside "Rogue One."

[uPDATE #1: We've spoken with StudShooter to check if he shot the picture. He didn't. We then worked to track down the original source using some reverse image searching, which led us to PromoBricks.de. Photography was prohibited at the event, so the original photographer may be intentionally anonymous.]

[uPDATE #2: It appears to be a photo of the 2014/2015 "UCS" Slave I (75060). We also believed it was shot by Vesa Lehtimäki, who uses that same kind of dramatic lighting. He confirmed with us that he shot the photo and that it was pre-2015 with a prototype LEGO set. So, could this be just a stand-in photo for "Rogue One" or a re-pack?]

[uPDATE #3: We can confirm 100% now that image shown is 2015 USC Slave I ("Empire"). It's not a new set coming October. It's not proof by itself of Slave I in Rogue One.]

[uPDATE #4: Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo re-tweeted our third update on Twitter:

twitter-lego-rogue-one-pablo-retweet

This may or may not be a validation of our findings.]

So far, Boba Fett has only been rumored to appear in the first "story" film. This could be spoiling and thus confirming that rumor. That said, see our Fett Fact Check for more about those rumors thus far.

Next to the "Rogue One" image is a TV series announcement. According to PromoBricks.de, that's a "Droid Tales-esque series titled The Freemaker Adventures."

• Like 2

It's kind of funny that this has spun this far out of control.  When I saw the picture, I noticed it was the UCS set that was just released last year.

There would be no way in hell Lego would release a UCS set like this, that I'm sure is selling quite well, only to retire it just a year and half later, to have it replaced by another 'UCS' Slave 1.  No reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

Now it's entirely possible that they could actually release a smaller $60-$90 version for the set, like they have done with the MF.  That wouldn't be bad honestly.

24 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

It's kind of funny that this has spun this far out of control.  When I saw the picture, I noticed it was the UCS set that was just released last year.

There would be no way in hell Lego would release a UCS set like this, that I'm sure is selling quite well, only to retire it just a year and half later, to have it replaced by another 'UCS' Slave 1.  No reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

Now it's entirely possible that they could actually release a smaller $60-$90 version for the set, like they have done with the MF.  That wouldn't be bad honestly.

I agree 100% on them possibly making a smaller set, I said that yesterday, just like the Tie Fighters

40 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

There would be no way in hell Lego would release a UCS set like this, (like the tumbler)  that I'm sure is selling quite well (like the tumbler), only to retire it just a year and half later, (like the tumbler) to have it replaced by another 'UCS' Slave 1 (like the new Batman vs Superman sets?).  No reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

So please understand i mostly agree with you and do not think the Slave I is going anywhere.

But it did strike me as funny that lego is PERHAPS doing just this with the Batman franchise. So who knows?

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

I'm sure no one is expecting TLG to replace a UCS S1 with another one, that would make absolutely no sense.

What is striking is the use of S1 as a placeholder for Rogue One. Why not a X-Wing? Why not a Tie Fighter? They just opened the door to wild speculation. Will they release a playset Slave 1? Is Boba Fett playing a big part in the movie which would boost 75060 sales? No one can tell just now, and it is only natural that we all wonder what this all means, if it means anything at all.

Edited by Pomodoro
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

So please understand i mostly agree with you and do not think the Slave I is going anywhere.

But it did strike me as funny that lego is PERHAPS doing just this with the Batman franchise. So who knows?

Batman is quite different.  the Tumbler is a design that is very specific to the Nolan era and is getting the boot in favor of the new movie designs.  That was likely a decision forced down from DC, not made by LEGO.  Slave 1 will see no significant changes in the new movies, as they are not a reboot but an extension of the existing world.  Further the Rouge One movie on its own is not likely significant enough to get its own UCS set.  We will likely see some smaller sets, and a new Slave 1 is certainly possible (they had 9493 and 10240 available in the same time frame).

This does bring into question the life cycle of 75060 though.  If it is featured in Rouge One then its likely to stick around past the 2 year mark. My guess is it will linger till mid 2017.  Its possible it may out live 75095, given its likely the better seller and the movie could boost it even more.

Edited by jay4e
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

I'm sure no one is expecting TLG to replace a UCS S1 with another one, that would make absolutely no sense.

What is striking is the use of S1 as a placeholder for Rogue One. Why not a X-Wing? Why not a Tie Fighter? They just opened the door to wild speculation. Will they release a playset Slave 1? Is Boba Fett playing a big part in the movie which would boost 75060 sales? No one can tell just now, and it is only natural that we all wonder what this all means, if it means anything at all.

Rouge One is rumored to be about stealing the death star plans and the hunt for the thieves.  The assumption is bounty hunters will feature prominently in the hunt, and the Slave 1 will likely be the most prominent ship.  X-Wings, and TIEs and others will likely see little screen time, and not likely to be major space battles.

11 minutes ago, jay4e said:

Batman is quite different.  the Tumbler is a design that is very specific to the Nolan era and is getting the boot in favor of the new movie designs.  That was likely a decision forced down from DC, not made by LEGO.  Slave 1 will see no significant changes in the new movies, as they are not a reboot but an extension of the existing world.  Further the Rouge One movie on its own is not likely significant enough to get its own UCS set.  We will likely see some smaller sets, and a new Slave 1 is certainly possible (they had 9493 and 10240 available in the same time frame).

This does bring into question the life cycle of 75060 though.  If it is featured in Rouge One then its likely to stick around past the 2 year mark. My guess is it will linger till mid 2017.  Its possible it may out live 75095, given its likely the better seller and the movie could boost it even more.

Great points. Something you mentioned i've been thinking too, Rogue One is supposedly a darker, grittier film. To me that says, "it's Star Wars for big kids". To me that also says, less playsets, more UCS type stuff. I think that's exciting, and maybe we get MULTIPLE UCS sets and less flick-fire missiles from this movie. I'm sure we'd all applaud that considering they're in the OT time era, with OT vehicles. We'd all love to see that UCS AT-AT. Come on Rogue One, make it happen!!!

20 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

Agreed, they opened the pandora's box for speculation with that photo, and i can't imagine they randomly grabbed ANY lego photo without carefully considering how the fan-boys would notice and speculate. 

Fun stuff all around.

14 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

Off topic but the classic image shows Princess Leia in her slave costume, interesting as I thought there was a rumour that Disney were washing their hands with the slave costume due to pompous feminists.

good eye!

I think those rumors were widely over-blown. ONE artist said that in his perception Disney would never allow him to do anything provocative and you'd NEVER see the Slave Leia again.

Disney NEVER confirmed this, nor did they EVER comment on it. It was one artist that works on Disney products, and he has since backpedaled mightily on it.

But we keep seeing it in Disney packaging. I don't think the metal bikini is going anywhere.

7 minutes ago, jay4e said:

Rouge One is rumored to be about stealing the death star plans and the hunt for the thieves.  The assumption is bounty hunters will feature prominently in the hunt, and the Slave 1 will likely be the most prominent ship.  X-Wings, and TIEs and others will likely see little screen time, and not likely to be major space battles.

X-Wings have been spotted on set, and empire pilot helmets have also surfaced. We know there is a large land battle, but I'm not sure we can rule out major space battles at this stage.

Also, what's the policy about possible spoilers over here? I recently joined and don't want to ruin the movie for anyone wanting to see it spoiler-free.

49 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

Also, what's the policy about possible spoilers over here? I recently joined and don't want to ruin the movie for anyone wanting to see it spoiler-free.

This is no simple movie discussion forum, movies are discussed in terms of expected merchandising articles and therefore we need these spoilers ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pomodoro said:

X-Wings have been spotted on set, and empire pilot helmets have also surfaced. We know there is a large land battle, but I'm not sure we can rule out major space battles at this stage.

Has anybody not seen the film now?

19 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

Off topic but the classic image shows Princess Leia in her slave costume, interesting as I thought there was a rumour that Disney were washing their hands with the slave costume due to pompous feminists.

We have a Spoiler Talk Forum now, specifically for talking about spoilery things.  The hope is that everyone will use that forum to talk spoilery things about things, both before and after release.

We have an Episode 7, Episode 8, and Rogue One discussion threads.  I had to avoid the Episode 7 thread for the final two months prior to the movie's premier, because of spoilery type talk.  Hopefully the new forum will keep that from happening.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
LOL I thought you actually heard something.

Nope, sorry to disappoint. Lol.

I came across the thread and it just got me wondering what that was all about.

It never made sense to me to have a UCS version and a play version of any decent size out at the same time. But then again, we've had UCS TIEs and X-Wings along with play versions out at the same time.