Super Bowl 50 LIVE DISCUSSION THREAD

Alpinemaps

Who will win Super Bowl 50?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Super Bowl 50 Winner

• Denver Broncos
    • Carolina Panthers
  2. 2. Lady Gaga's National Anthem

3. 3. What color will the Gatorade be that gets dumped on the winning coach?

12 hours ago, steveviscious89 said:

Classic Peyton Manning game....zero offensive touchdowns and the defense has to do all the work to win the game. 

Been the story of his season. He's clearly a legend, his stats state that but you can hardly say he won the Superbowl for Denver. Their D has awarded him his second ring. Personally for me Brady is in a different class.

2 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Been the story of his season. He's clearly a legend, his stats state that but you can hardly say he won the Superbowl for Denver. Their D has awarded him his second ring. Personally for me Brady is in a different class.

Manning is not a cheater so def in a different class from Brady...  :derisive:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

Now it's time for the Daytona 500.....woo!  let the season begin!

I have a special hate in my heart for the Daytona 500. I have the honor of going to the only one ever to be rescheduled due to weather in 2012. I didn't get to go the next day either as we were flying home... I sat under the bleachers with my 5 year old for 8 hours, trying not to get wet and keep him entertained. It stopped raining long enough for us to sit in the stands for 30 minutes while they pretended to dry the track. :(

What I'd like to ask all US-based NFL fans: Why has the CTE problem obviously NOT lead to serious problems for the league and the recruitment amongst kids? I mean, if you look at the research, you could estimate that at least 50 % of all active players have already damaged their brains badly - and that is additionally to all the other things pro athletes already have to deal with. It is also more or less known now, that even single hard hits can cause CTE, which means that even youths can take brain damage, not only NFL players. That being said, I heard somewhere that the NFL would be done if only 10 % of the kids would stay away from football because of CTE risk. Well, it seems like this did not really happen. Don't parents really take this topic seriously?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rfish said:

What I'd like to ask all US-based NFL fans: Why has the CTE problem obviously NOT lead to serious problems for the league and the recruitment amongst kids? I mean, if you look at the research, you could estimate that at least 50 % of all active players have already damaged their brains badly - and that is additionally to all the other things pro athletes already have to deal with. It is also more or less known now, that even single hard hits can cause CTE, which means that even youths can take brain damage, not only NFL players. That being said, I heard somewhere that the NFL would be done if only 10 % of the kids would stay away from football because of CTE risk. Well, it seems like this did not really happen. Don't parents really take this topic seriously?

People know smoking is bad for them too(although not necessarily because of lung cancer) and yet they still do it. The NFL is a huge corporation that makes so much freakin money....it's going to take a lot more than that to take down the NFL because people love it too much. They don't care about the long term risks because most people don't think long term like that. So to answer your question, kids will still play football for the same kind of reasons that they will still smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol in excess, or do anything that can potentially cause bodily harm now or later.

Oh and with regard to parents.......yeah....we uh...have a pretty big parenting problem in this country at the moment. For some reason, there are parents out there that have decided that it's better for the child's mental health to let the 'inmates run the asylum'. Other times we have people becoming parents who have yet to grow up themselves. So that's kind of another problem there.

Edited by steveviscious89

7 minutes ago, rfish said:

This is a whole other can of worms. This topic could have it's own thread and could get ugly quick. I will refrain from further comments on this subject.

13 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

Please.....at least wait until the investigation is conducted before you pass judgement. :mda:

Because honest and fair is synonymous with an NFL investigation.  Ray Rice, Patriot-Gate-Du-Jour, Greg Hardy.  The investigations the NFL completes are designed to protect the shield foremost.  And there is no way the shield would want a first-ballot HOFer retiring on a SB win to be found to be a PED user.

Just now, baschloinka said:

Because honest and fair is synonymous with an NFL investigation.  Ray Rice, Patriot-Gate-Du-Jour, Greg Hardy.  The investigations the NFL completes are designed to protect the shield foremost.  And there is no way the shield would want a first-ballot HOFer retiring on a SB win to be found to be a PED user.

Well if he did use them....it certainly didn't work...haha.

Plus I think the HGH was for his wife. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steveviscious89 said:

People know smoking is bad for them too(although not necessarily because of lung cancer) and yet they still do it. The NFL is a huge corporation that makes so much freakin money....it's going to take a lot more than that to take down the NFL because people love it too much. They don't care about the long term risks because most people don't think long term like that. So to answer your question, kids will still play football for the same kind of reasons that they will still smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol in excess, or do anything that can potentially cause bodily harm now or later.

Oh and with regard to parents.......yeah....we uh...have a pretty big parenting problem in this country at the moment. For some reason, there are parents out there that have decided that it's better for the child's mental health to let the 'inmates run the asylum'. Other times we have people becoming parents who have yet to grow up themselves. So that's kind of another problem there.

Maybe many more parents should watch this video:

Yeah....show them that video...show them a picture of a smoker's lungs.....it's all the same. People would rather sink their ship than correct the course. 'But I want to be HAPPY RIGHT NOW!'. Seriously....we have an election coming up this year and I'm pretty worried about the social mindset our country is adopting and how it's effecting our government.

1 minute ago, odysea11 said:

Boy we're getting off topic now.....back to what's important.....

BRONCOS ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS BABY!!!!!!

But I want to talk about things that will almost certainly start arguments!

Anyway....yeah. Well I didn't really care which team won, but I will say that I am surprised at the outcome. I knew Denver had the #1 defense, but it was a regular deal with a Manning offense that gave every opportunity for the other team to outscore them, but the other team just wasn't up to the task and the defense played too well. Don't get me wrong I love Peyton Manning, but he definitely sailed his way into this one...haha. Osweiller could have played and it wouldn't have mattered.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

World Champions LMAO

I can maybe accept the MLB World Series for marketing reasons, but come on calling the winner of an all American tournament World Champions when no other nation has been invited is comical.

Gee Crusty....you sure are going out of your way to try to knock me down. I guess your name is quite fitting....

You can throw stones all you like....but you will never take away the fact that I am a Broncos fan for life and they won the championship!!

GET OVER IT! Your Crustyness is comical!

• Like 1

World Champions LMAO

I can maybe accept the MLB World Series for marketing reasons, but come on calling the winner of an all American tournament World Champions when no other nation has been invited is comical.

Kinda hard when the only country to play football outside the US is Canada. So yeah. World champs sure is fitting.

2 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

World Champions LMAO

We invited the London Silly Nannys but they didn't show up.

hqdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

World Champions LMAO

Bring your best American football players to Wembley this fall and see how they stack up.  Heck, bring them here to play some of our D1 college teams and I bet they still get spanked.  Do you guys actually play the sport over there or just watch when the NFL comes to town?  

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Bring your best American football players to Wembley this fall and see how they stack up.  Heck, bring them here to play some of our D1 college teams and I bet they still get spanked.  Do you guys actually play the sport over there or just watch when the NFL comes to town?  

Ha, I knew someone would chime in with that completely irrelevant comment. IF there was a franchise team from say London, Tokyo or Sydney for example they would fall in line with all the rules and regulations that currently exist ie, salary caps and draft system. Any new franchise team would be made predominantly of US roster players and would be competing from the get go. I know there are some that think Alabama and some Division 1 FBS Football programs could beat up on the Titans or the worst team in the National Football League but lets face it that wouldn't ever happen. So yes a London, Paris, German team etc would compete.

Channel 4 started showing NFL games in the UK back in 1982. Sky currently host a Thursday game, a Sunday triple header and the Monday night game. There is an official UK NFL website and Wembley gets higher attendances than all but the Dallas Cowboys including a higher Stadium attendance to capacity ratio than the Oakland Raiders and St Louis Rams. The Brits are a sport loving nation and the NFL has a huge fanbase here predicted to be around 10 million. While it's not played any competitive level in this country it is extremely popular.