Super Bowl 50 LIVE DISCUSSION THREAD

Alpinemaps

Who will win Super Bowl 50?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Super Bowl 50 Winner

• Denver Broncos
    • Carolina Panthers
  2. 2. Lady Gaga's National Anthem

3. 3. What color will the Gatorade be that gets dumped on the winning coach?

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

American Football is not the only sport who labels their champions as world champions.

a70p7658.jpg

I've just looked at the official website and it had the twelve best nations at Curling participating so pretty justifiable to claim the winners of a World Championship being World Champions. How's this similar to an American claiming a team world champions in a tournament only open to American teams?

The best players from all over the world come to play in this league. The Broncos currently have the best collection of overall football players from around the world. They are the best football team in the world right now. Name a better one. Seems pretty simple to me.

12 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

I've just looked at the official website and it had the twelve best nations at Curling participating so pretty justifiable to claim the winners of a World Championship being World Champions. How's this similar to an American claiming a team world champions in a tournament only open to American teams?

OK, I'll let you argue against the Fish & Chips Eating World Championship too.

IMG_0060.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Any new franchise team would be made predominantly of US roster players and would be competing from the get go. I know there are some that think Alabama and some Division 1 FBS Football programs could beat up on the Titans or the worst team in the National Football League but lets face it that wouldn't ever happen. So yes a London, Paris, German team etc would compete.

Channel 4 started showing NFL games in the UK back in 1982. Sky currently host a Thursday game, a Sunday triple header and the Monday night game. There is an official UK NFL website and Wembley gets higher attendances than all but the Dallas Cowboys including a higher Stadium attendance to capacity ratio than the Oakland Raiders and St Louis Rams. The Brits are a sport loving nation and the NFL has a huge fanbase here predicted to be around 10 million. While it's not played any competitive level in this country it is extremely popular.

1) So if a new international franchise team is made of predominantly U.S. players, how does that prove anything different from what we're already discussing, namely that the U.S. champion is the worldwide champion?

2) I don't think the best college teams could beat any NFL team, ever, period.  The NFL is made up of college all stars who are on another level.  

3) I don't doubt the NFL is loved in many other countries, especially the U.K., but what I am saying is that there is no competition at the same level as the NFL in the sport outside of the U.S., hence the claim to worldwide champs.

1 minute ago, MarxMarvelous said:

The best players from all over the world come to play in this league. The Broncos currently have the best collection of overall football players from around the world. They are the best football team in the world right now. Name a better one. Seems pretty simple to me.

The simple fact is that most Americans are going to argue this point with me, but you simply cannot declare yourself world champions in any sport if no other nation takes part. 

While we are on this topic, which is really just some tired complaint that non-americans who fancy themselves clever have been making for decades, why is the guy with the biggest muscles Mr Universe? I didn't see anyone from any planet other than earth in that contest. Hmmmm, it's almost like it's just marketing nonsense and has no real meaning...

3 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

The simple fact is that most Americans are going to argue this point with me, but you simply cannot declare yourself world champions in any sport if no other nation takes part. 

Sure we can. We did. So clearly we can. I can't understand why anyone who isn't from here even cares. I could care less what British teeth rotting teams or bangers and mash eating champions call themselves.

Edited by MarxMarvelous

2 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

NBA uses the same designation.  A pretty useless thing to discuss really.  They should change the name of the World Series too.

2 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

While we are on this topic, which is really just some tired complaint that non-americans who fancy themselves clever have been making for decades, why is the guy with the biggest muscles Mr Universe? I didn't see anyone from any planet other than earth in that contest. Hmmmm, it's almost like it's just marketing nonsense and has no real meaning...

Last time I checked the space blog there were no extra terrestrials to invite. Don't be so naive it's not about trying to be clever it's a valid question that not one reply has responded with a legitimate answer

Edited by Crustybeaver

9 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Sure we can. We did. So clearly we can. I can't understand why anyone who isn't from here even cares. I could care less what British teeth rotting teams or bangers and mash eating champions call themselves.

Looks like I'm touching a nerve so probably time to bin this conversation off. I thought it was a valid question and was hoping that someone could give me a logical answer. I guess it will continue to remain as one of lives mysteries. 

6 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Looks like I'm touching a nerve so probably time to bin this conversation off. I thought it was a valid question and was hoping that someone could give me a logical answer. I guess it will continue to remain as one of lives mysteries. 

If this is one of life's mysteries to you, then maybe you need to redirect some of your life's concerns.

Does this make you feel better Crusty....

DENVER BRONCOS ARE THE 2015-16 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!!

Does that verbage make you feel better?

It's amazing how people pick out one word and just run with it. 

30 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Yeah, you even declared yourselves World Police when no one was asking for it.

6 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

If this is one of life's mysteries to you, then maybe you need to redirect some of your life's concerns.

Does this make you feel better Crusty....

DENVER BRONCOS ARE THE 2015-16 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!!

Does that verbage make you feel better?

It's amazing how people pick out one word and just run with it. 

Well it's legitimately correct now so yeah, well done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rfish said:

last time I checked this was an open forum where people are allowed to express views and opinions, you know much like you did yesterday when you sent me a 10,000 word private message about everything that irks you about football. BTW I read two lines and hit delete, I hope it didn't take you too long to write it.

8 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

last time I checked this was an open forum where people are allowed to express views and opinions, you know much like you did yesterday when you sent me a 10,000 word private message about everything that irks you about football. BTW I read two lines and hit delete, I hope it didn't take you too long to write it.

I dont understand what you blame on me here. Why is it MY fault someone cannot express his opinion here? I do it all the time and many of my posts get deleted. In fact I supported your view about the "World" Champions issue here, but somehow you didnt realize. That you didnt read my complains about soccer just underlines that fans dont really want to hear about or are inable to understand the shortcomings of this boring mess, sorry, "beautiful sport" I meant to say. Thanks.

Edited by rfish

34 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

No I was having fun. Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.

18 minutes ago, rfish said:

I know, it's silly. China should clearly be the world police.

52 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

it's a valid question that not one reply has responded with a legitimate answer

Does your country have an organized professional American football league that could compete with the NFL?  Does any other country?  There is a Canadian football league, but we all know they are second rate compared to the NFL and I suspect it's the same anywhere else.  It would be an embarrassment to have teams from those leagues go up against the NFL.  The competition level is as different as amateur vs. pro and the reason why the NFL claims the "world champs."

Does your country have an organized professional American football league that could compete with the NFL?  Does any other country?  There is a Canadian football league, but we all know they are second rate compared to the NFL and I suspect it's the same anywhere else.  It would be an embarrassment to have teams from those leagues go up against the NFL.  The competition level is as different as amateur vs. pro and the reason why the NFL claims the "world champs."

So we're to assume that because the opinion is that the NFL contains the strongest teams in the sport throughout the world that the winners of the Lombardi trophy should be world champions?

Okay so let's use football (soccer) as an example. The general consensus throughout the world is that Real Madrid and Barcelona are the best teams in world football, they both play in La Liga which is considered by many as the best league so does winning the league make them world champions? No. But the top four join the top four from the English Prem, Serie A, Bundesliga, France, Portual etc to play for honours of European champions. The winner of the UEFA Champions League will later play the winners of Asia, Africa, South America, North America and Oceania in the Continental Championships with the winner being declared world champions.

The question is a valid one, why are winners of American only sporting tournaments considered world champions?

9 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

The question is a valid one, why are winners of American only sporting tournaments considered world champions?

It is the trade off for being appointed the world police.  Once China takes up the mantle, they too can name the winner of their Chinese Chess tournament World Champion. ;) 

I think we should take the following idea to the NFL so we can end the debate:  The Pro Bowl sucks, so it will be replaced by an international game. Europe, or any other country who feels inclined, can put together an American football team(depending on entrants, they might need to have a little tournament to determine the best team from the rest of the world). That teams gets to play the worst NFL team the week before the Super Bowl.  If the International team loses, the Super Bowl champs can proudly announce they are world champions. If the International team wins, they get to play the Super Bowl champs in the World Bowl in Switzerland.